Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I wouldn't bet on Colony Grill being a catalyst of any sort. The Avon location closed after just 6 months.
That's because their pizza is disgusting. I just do not get why people in Stamford rave about it. It's sub-par at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
I don't think its just Stamford folks Kid... It does pull a 24 from Zagat. Same as Frank Pepe and Modern.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
Milford & the coast is a.nice area & the people are relatively friendly down that way. The rest of the state, I have.definite doubts about it being a nice safe place to live, esp. in urban & suburban areas.
Central.CT forget it! People are snotty, traffic is awful & cost of living to high to survive unless you are rich or on welfare.

I'd not advise moving to central Connecticut if I were wanting a decent place to live.
I do not agree with you on this AT ALL. There is nothing wrong with central Connecticut. People there are just as friendly as anywhere else in the state and the cost of living is lower than southwestern Connecticut. You are completely wrong here. Jay

Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I don't think its just Stamford folks Kid... It does pull a 24 from Zagat. Same as Frank Pepe and Modern.
That just goes to show that Zagat is very subjective.

Pepe's is known nationwide. Colony isn't. It's not even raved about in the adjacent New Haven area.

It was funny, though, when I worked in Stamford for a short time, how the Stamfordites would go nuts when the office ordered "hot oil" Colony pizza. The NYers in the office just rolled their eyes and poked fun at Connecticut pizza and bagels. Can't say I blame them after witnessing that. LOL. Needless to say, I went to the salad bar (and I love pizza!).

Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That just goes to show that Zagat is very subjective.

Pepe's is known nationwide. Colony isn't. It's not even raved about in the adjacent New Haven area.

It was funny, though, when I worked in Stamford for a short time, how the Stamfordites would go nuts when the office ordered "hot oil" Colony pizza. The NYers in the office just rolled their eyes and poked fun at Connecticut pizza and bagels. Can't say I blame them after witnessing that. LOL. Needless to say, I went to the salad bar (and I love pizza!).
I'm sure the NYers would also roll their eyes at any of the NH offerings (Sally, Modern, Frank Pepe's). You should see the reaction I get when I try and explain that pizza in the US started in New Haven.

Also FWIW, no one in my department had ever heard of Frank Pepe and most hail from the NY/New England area.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Pepe's is known nationwide by foodies though. It makes a ton of "best of" lists. But the general population and most of NY has no idea it exists.

Colony's pizza is its own thing, but it's nowhere near the same league of Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, BAR, or any of the established elite NYC pizzerias. Yes, pizza is subjective blah blah blah, but c'mon now.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I'm sure the NYers would also roll their eyes at any of the NH offerings (Sally, Modern, Frank Pepe's). You should see the reaction I get when I try and explain that pizza in the US started in New Haven.
That's because it didn't. The first pizzeria in the US was opened in NYC in 1905.

Quote:
Also FWIW, no one in my department had ever heard of Frank Pepe and most hail from the NY/New England area.
Have you asked everyone in your department?

Anyway, Colony does not have a line snaking out of the front door and down the road like Pepe's does on your average Friday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Colony's pizza is its own thing, but it's nowhere near the same league of Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, BAR, or any of the established elite NYC pizzerias. Yes, pizza is subjective blah blah blah, but c'mon now.
I actually laughed a little when I read that someone was comparing Colony to Pepe's.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Pepe's is known nationwide by foodies though. It makes a ton of "best of" lists. But the general population and most of NY has no idea it exists.

Agreed. The people in NYC who schlep to Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, Patsy's etc. for pizza are likely to have heard of the New Haven pizzerias if not actually eaten at one. And for people who really love pizza, I think New Haven is pretty well known as a pizza mecca.

The funny thing is Fairfield county, even though it is between the two best cities in the country for pizza, lacks any great pizza places (I'm excluding the Pepe's locations). As a result, Colony gets alot of attention. It's all relative.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Arguably... Trenton NJ has a pizzeria dating back to the same year and Frank Pepe was selling pizza prior to 1905 although not from a formal storefront. My department of 30 has a team distribution email (we also all sit on a single floor)... Pretty easy to ping the team, even on random trivia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's because it didn't. The first pizzeria in the US was opened in NYC in 1905.

Have you asked everyone in your department?

Anyway, Colony does not have a line snaking out of the front door and down the road like Pepe's does on your average Friday night.

My department of 30 has a team email (we also all sit on a single floor)... Pretty easy to ping the team, even on random trivia.

I actually laughed a little when I read that someone was comparing Colony to Pepe's.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Agreed. The people in NYC who schlep to Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, Patsy's etc. for pizza are likely to have heard of the New Haven pizzerias if not actually eaten at one. And for people who really love pizza, I think New Haven is pretty well known as a pizza mecca.

The funny thing is Fairfield county, even though it is between the two best cities in the country for pizza, lacks any great pizza places (I'm excluding the Pepe's locations). As a result, Colony gets alot of attention. It's all relative.
I don't know about that. The reason New York pizza places are so well known is that it is New York and there are millions of people there that quite frankly think they are the best at EVERYTHING. They also have direct access to the mass media so they definitely tend ot promote there own things. There are many excellent pizza places in Fairfield County that many people have loved for years. Just because it is not announced on national TV does not mean they are not good. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut