Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I'm not in the center of SI...I'm on the south shore tip of the island about a mile from the Arthur Kill and maybe 3 miles from the bay.

I'm pretty sure I read a while ago that where I am, Pleasant Plains area is the second highest area above sea level on Staten Island. Todt hill being the highest. I can't find the site where I got that information originally from though.
Pleasant Plains - then your far to the south.

If you are on a hill or somthing than mostly likely you have no worries from storm - surge flooding. Still, it is always as good idea to know your base elevation if you live in a coastal state. I think you'll be fine if your above 15 feet above sea level, and my guess is that you are. Also, this is still 3 days away, so you have time to get ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
NYC is closer to jersey..... How would it be weaker there then CT??
Closer to the eye. The worst of the storm is usually what every lies to the west/northwest.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:30 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
New NHC Track. Sandy down to CAT1 but foreasted to remain Hurricane strength.

LOCATION...26.3N 76.9W
ABOUT 485 MI...SSE OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH...PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...968 MB...28.59 INCHES

Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 AM

All models have a weaker Sandy coming on shore. But some models still dont agree on track. I still believe its coming on shore at NJ. Don't let the hype out there scare you.. When they show "max" sustained winds, its right near the center and a small area.

The winds will be coming from the South and East North of NJ. I think we are escaping a full fledge powerstorm but that doesnt mean no down trees, flooding, and power outages. I'm still worried about coastal residents.

Looking back at my first posts, I knew waiting until Friday morning for details was the best thing to do. I think fear and fatigue was setting in yesterday.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:56 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times
So what do you expect central jersey winds to be?I'm about 15 miles from the ocean so I don't expect to be hit with storm surges I'm worried about the wind and rain.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
No way a storm surge goes inland 15 miles...there could be gusts to 80 but no sustained winds at that speed for prolonged time...issue is the moon tides along with easterly / northeasterly winds pushing tides into Delaware bay, etc etc....barrier islands like long beach island, etc will see heavy beach erosion, etc...

Here in CT we are dodging a bullet so to speak if this track stays true, we will get gusts to 50 and rain, less coastal flooding than NJ but it will still be there. No snow for either your me, west of you into PA and WV could be disastrous, like I saw in central CT last year we lost power for 8 days.

Be safe, this is really amazing and yet worrisome what this storm can do.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
All models have a weaker Sandy coming on shore. But some models still dont agree on track. I still believe its coming on shore at NJ. Don't let the hype out there scare you.. When they show "max" sustained winds, its right near the center and a small area.
Good point. Irene had sustained of 65mph when it landfalled at Coney Island but that was over a very small area near the center and even that died down quickly once it hit land (JFK hit sustained of 50mph but Central Park never got above the low 30s).

I thought of something ironic.....it's name is Sandy, the big deal is the feared "left hook" in its path, so where will it landfall.....Sandy Hook, NJ of course! (would actually be very bad as that is virtually a NYC direct hit).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 10-26-2012 at 05:28 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
So what do you expect central jersey winds to be?I'm about 15 miles from the ocean so I don't expect to be hit with storm surges I'm worried about the wind and rain.
for you I think 5-7" of rain and wind gusts to 60mph for a good 12-18hrs and sustained at 30mph for a while.. That's if the track is what NHC shows.

Stay safe.

It will be interesting to see if we see mixing of sleet falling. With the cold air rushing.into this dynamic storm I wouldnt be surprised. That would be a sight to see for sure.

Yes..folks west of appalacians will go through what CT and MA went through last yr. I'm wondering if roofs will be able to support 2-3feet of heavy wet snow.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:36 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Good point. Irene had sustained of 65mph when it landfalled at Coney Island but that was over a very small area near the center and even that died down quickly once it hit land (JFK hit sustained of 50mph but Central Park never got above the low 30s).

I thought of something ironic.....it's name is Sandy, the big deal is the feared "left hook" in its path, so where will it landfall.....Sandy Hook, NJ of course! (would actually be very bad as that is virtually a NYC direct hit).
I thought the same thing that's the area I was talking about I'm about 15 miles from there and frequent that beach often

Old 10-26-2012, 05:36 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Sandy Rages Through Bahamas, Barrels Toward Tri-State | NBC New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut