U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 AM

24,470 posts, read 12,954,671 times
Default Lowes Coming to Norwalk, CT

Not official yet but they filed an application.
Great for the City, Horrible for Congestion for both I-95 and Locally. I believe they will hire over 250 people.

Lowe

NORWALK — Lowe’s, a home improvement company with more than 1,745 stores in North America, has filed an application to open a store at 100 Connecticut Ave., according to plans filed with the city.

Under the plans, Lowe’s would demolish the existing buildings on the property and construct a 134,815-square-foot home improvement warehouse, including a 24,390-square-foot garden center. The proposal would include parking for 422 vehicles.

A Lowe’s spokeswoman said the company looks at “literally hundreds of factors” when it considers potential store locations.

“Our number one focus is on our customers,” Stacy C. Lentz, public relations manager for Lowe’s Companies, wrote in an email to The Hour. “Some of the factors include: an area’s population, home ownership and potential for growth.”

The 10.31-acre site is the former location of Affinion marketing company. Affinion moved to Stamford in 2010. Lowe’s major competition, Home Depot, has a location at 600 Connecticut Ave., less than a mile and a half away

Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 AM

2,621 posts, read 2,251,563 times
We don't need both a Lowes and Home Depot on the same stretch of road. This sucks!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM

669 posts, read 512,571 times
In my opinion, I don't think we'll see a recognizable increase in traffic on I-95 around Exit 14/15; traffic is already SO BAD that most people won't see a difference. If anything, I'm very glad that business is expanding during these economic times (let alone expanding in Connecticut). Lowes is virtually non-existent in lower Fairfield County, so I'm happy to see that they are expanding their foothold.

LOCAL traffic is another story. That particular stretch of Connecticut Avenue/Rt. 1 near Norwalk Hospital isn't too, too bad right now (relative to say...Rt. 1 near Costco of Norwalk...that's always a nightmare). Lowes' presence will certainly congest that area, but it's no different than any other business opening up.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 AM

8,241 posts, read 9,348,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
That particular stretch of Connecticut Avenue/Rt. 1 near Norwalk Hospital isn't too, too bad right now (relative to say...Rt. 1 near Costco of Norwalk...that's always a nightmare).
Really?

My evening experiences with those 2 stretches have been the exact opposite of yours. No problem getting around Costco, a total bi**h to get through the stretch around Home Depot.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 PM

1,834 posts, read 3,710,720 times
The Lowes came in about 1/4 mile away from the Home Depot here in Danbury along Federal Road. Traffic was bad enough already, so I can't tell the difference.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 AM

8,241 posts, read 9,348,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
We don't need both a Lowes and Home Depot on the same stretch of road. This sucks!
We(Stratford) do. LOL. I was peeved that BJ's wholesale took a space that would have been perfect for a Lowe's, and was right near Home Depot.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 PM

323 posts, read 184,327 times
Wow that area across from the new firehouse? Is that area that large for a Lowes??

At least I wont no longer have to go to Orangeburg, NY and pay a toll.. I do think home depot needs a little more competition.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:20 PM

14,254 posts, read 22,344,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Obviously Lowes does not agree with you. Too often people think that they can dictate what types of stores go into an area. That is not legal. All a town can do is identify the types of stores allowed in a zone and then approve or deny a particular project proposed based on an unbiased evaluation. Jay

Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 PM

10,427 posts, read 7,461,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
Wow that area across from the new firehouse? Is that area that large for a Lowes??

At least I wont no longer have to go to Orangeburg, NY and pay a toll.. I do think home depot needs a little more competition.
Why would you go to Orangeburg when there's a Lowes in Danbury and Milford?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 PM

323 posts, read 184,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Why would you go to Orangeburg when there's a Lowes in Danbury and Milford?

Because I live in Greenwich?? Why would I drive some 50 miles when I only have to drive like 25 miles to the Lowes here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut