Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,771,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nish2006 View Post
Yes, Showcase Cinemas in Orange shut down a couple of months ago, off exit 41 on I-95N. They were doing really badly, with less than 20% occupancy on weekdays.
Showcase was doing very well until National Amusements(owner of Showcase), built a new 14-screen theatre at the CT. Post Mall in Milford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 PM

21,540 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Showcase was doing very well until National Amusements(owner of Showcase), built a new 14-screen theatre at the CT. Post Mall in Milford.
True. The the new theater is much better IMO - better screen quality, nicer seating, but of course more expensive...

Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 AM

34,680 posts, read 56,465,514 times
National Amusements did the same thing in Enfield. They built a theater on the mall there and closed down the free-standing one in East Windsor. Several years ago they built a theater near the mall in Manchester and then a couple of years ago closed down the free-standing one in East Hartford. I guess that is the trend these days. Jay

Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
Sign went up this past week (looks like the site has also been renamed "Whole Foods Plaza" rather than "Milford Marketplace") Still no movement on the demolition of El Torero, though.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 AM

21,540 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj9126 View Post
Sign went up this past week (looks like the site has also been renamed "Whole Foods Plaza" rather than "Milford Marketplace") Still no movement on the demolition of El Torero, though.
The sign fooled me! I turned in thinking it had opened and realized it was still dark with nothing inside. LOL

Old 01-26-2009, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,775 times
the whole foods sign is up on the post road in milford. i am an employee and all i have heard is that the store will open next october 2009.hope this helps everyone!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,736,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Traffic is ALWAYS the issue, but by state law major projects MUST mitigate their traffic issues and I know Stew's project did that. I think that is just an "excuse" used too often by people whoi just don't want change. Jay
I'm sure that West Haven would welcome Stew Leonards to their community. Hey Stew how about steppin' over the line!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:03 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,736,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
National Amusements did the same thing in Enfield. They built a theater on the mall there and closed down the free-standing one in East Windsor. Several years ago they built a theater near the mall in Manchester and then a couple of years ago closed down the free-standing one in East Hartford. I guess that is the trend these days. Jay
As a kid growing up in East Hartford it was sad to see the flagship Showcase close. I remember it being the first one in Central Connecticut and my friends and I walked there as kids when it had its grand opening.

Lots of great memories. Standing out for hours for the premiere of Star Wars IV is one I will never forget nor the feeling of seeing that movie on the big screen.

About a year before it closed I went to see a movie there with a friend of mine. Gangbangers talking on cell phones loudly throughout the movie and babies and young children screaming throughout an R-rated movie ended our trips to our old hometown favorite.

Nobody needs to put them self in a dangerous and uncomfortable situation to see a movie when there are so many other options available.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 AM

34,680 posts, read 56,465,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
As a kid growing up in East Hartford it was sad to see the flagship Showcase close. I remember it being the first one in Central Connecticut and my friends and I walked there as kids when it had its grand opening.

Lots of great memories. Standing out for hours for the premiere of Star Wars IV is one I will never forget nor the feeling of seeing that movie on the big screen.

About a year before it closed I went to see a movie there with a friend of mine. Gangbangers talking on cell phones loudly throughout the movie and babies and young children screaming throughout an R-rated movie ended our trips to our old hometown favorite.

Nobody needs to put them self in a dangerous and uncomfortable situation to see a movie when there are so many other options available.

Yeah, it really did go down hill toward the end. I remember when the place was mobbed every Friday and Saturday night. There were lines of traffic getting into the parking lots and lines of people waiting to buy tickets. Back then it was the only upscale movie theater complex in the Hartford area, so everyone went there. It was real sad to see how far it fell. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut