Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 AM

240 posts, read 537,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I heard they are restoring power to the bulk areas first. In other words, areas that have 100 homes without power they will restore first before the area with 30 homes without power.

They should have a restoration time for you by now. They also said by Mon-Tuesday everyone should be back on. Nights are going to get cold too so thats not helping.
I saw on a news conference with the UI CEO that each town submitted 10 critical areas that should get up and running first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
No matter how bad things got for you, this puts things in perspective:

Update: 2 NYC boys found dead, swept away by storm

Awful, heartbreaking story.
This is awful. I can't imagine what she's going through right now. Why didn't they evacuate earlier i wonder??

Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
No matter how bad things got for you, this puts things in perspective:

Update: 2 NYC boys found dead, swept away by storm

Awful, heartbreaking story.
My thoughts exactly, great post! Hope all's well with you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
This is awful. I can't imagine what she's going through right now. Why didn't they evacuate earlier i wonder??
My wife and I thought that as well.....

Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
After reading about the utter chaos in NYC, NJ and elswhere, can you imagine the staggering insanity that would be created if we were subjected to an electro magnetic pulse attack? One nuke in a small biz jet at 60k ft would cause more harm than an invasion. It reminds me of those prepper shows; those people are probably doing ok after this storm...

Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM

31 posts, read 58,254 times
Newfield area in Stamford, North of Turner:

8 A.M. 11/1: 'Power will be restored by 4 P.M. Today.'
2 P.M. 11/1: 'Power will be restored by 6:30 P.M. Today.'
6 P.M. 11/1: 'We do not have an estimate for restoration. Whomever indicated those timetables was incorrect and should not have told you that. There was more damage in the area than our crews initially thought.'
9 A.M., 11/2: 'There are still 87 customers on your grid without power. We do not have an estimate for restoration. Sorry.'

CL&P had 36 hours to conduct their 'assessment' before they started restoration efforts. So how is it possible that the 'damage was worse than they thought'?

Someone here indicated that at least this time around CL&P had a 'plan'. I submit that a plan is only a plan if you can execute, which apparently CL&P cannot. I see a lot of the same communication issues as with last year's snow storm which quite frankly is unconscionable.

The only solution is to fire the CL&P CEO via executive fiat. The only thing the executives fear is losing their paycheck, so let's make that a reality. It is a 'public utility' after all and therefore first priority should be to customers and not shareholders.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Oddly enough we had no damage anywhere in the neighborhood. We did lose power for 4 days, but so far none of us in the area can figure out why. No flooding, no trees down, no limbs on wires, no wires down, no zappage, no substations closed. This one circuit served around 585 customers, and of those 585, less than 300 were out of juice. Most of the remaining 300+ were seniors in HUD housing buildings that were powered with generators the moment the storm hit.

I have relatives who did get a lot of damage, one who might be homeless now but she hasn't communicated yet to let us know how/where she and her family are.

My thoughts are with those who did everything they were "supposed" to do, and got clobbered nonetheless (such as, "evacuate some time -before- Monday", or..."do -not- evacuate and stay off the roads").

Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM

46 posts, read 56,995 times
We made it through fine. Scary at times when the entire house shook and when limbs were breaking. Very little damage in our neighborhood in Branford. I haven't seen the coast line yet though. We were without power for 74 hours. We have gas hot water and stove though so we could at least cook and shower. Considering the damage elsewhere I feel very blessed.

Be well.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:14 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Has anyone heard how Litchfield County fared?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Has anyone heard how Litchfield County fared?
Litchfield had (and still has) some power outages but they don't have entire towns that went dark. I am sure some trees came down like they did everywhere but nothing too bad.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I have a tree on my roof. I was very lucky that there isn't serious damage. It's a large tree, but it fell in a way that minimized the damage. I had two other trees fall across my driveway and block the street. The place looks like a war zone.

Still no power. The utility pole was ripped down and the wires are all over the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut