Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,227 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job in Wilton (close to the route 7 exit on the Merritt). I'm in my mid 20s and I'd like to live somewhere fun, but not too far away.

I'm considering SoNo my first choice with Stamford in a close second. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I thinking of buying a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. ($280k max).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
I work for a company near there, and while I telecommute 100%, the younger people live almost entirely in SoNo or Stamford unless they have ties to a town for another reason (like family or classmates from Yale).

I'd probably rent first to make sure you like either area before considering a purchase (if you're new to the area in particular).

Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I agree that you might want to rent for a year before buying since you do not know the area that well. Stamford and Norwalk are probably the best choices in the area but I am not sure what you will get for a $280,000 price in those towns if you buy. Remember this is one of the most expensive parts of the country. You might want to consider heading north to Danbury where you get a lot more for your money but it does not have as much nightlife as you may want. Jay

Old 11-06-2012, 09:17 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I work for a company near there, and while I telecommute 100%, the younger people live almost entirely in SoNo or Stamford unless they have ties to a town for another reason (like family or classmates from Yale).

I'd probably rent first to make sure you like either area before considering a purchase (if you're new to the area in particular).
Really? I know a lot of twentysomethings that work in the Norwalk area at various companies and they're all over. A good amount do live in SoNo, but the rest are scattered everywhere. A lot of younger people choose to live further east or north due to the lower cost of living.

OP - definitely Stamford. SoNo is just as expensive, sometimes more for a nicer place in the good area - and it gets boring quick. It's really just a couple of streets of bars/restaurants. Stamford offers much more and is more of a "real" city.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Really? I know a lot of twentysomethings that work in the Norwalk area at various companies and they're all over. A good amount do live in SoNo, but the rest are scattered everywhere. A lot of younger people choose to live further east or north due to the lower cost of living.

OP - definitely Stamford. SoNo is just as expensive, sometimes more for a nicer place in the good area - and it gets boring quick. It's really just a couple of streets of bars/restaurants. Stamford offers much more and is more of a "real" city.
Yep! In fact, I was an anomaly for living in East Norwalk when we first moved here - everyone else in my peer group was in Stamford.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Must be specific to your company as every place I've worked at in the area has people from all over. In our division for instance we have people from Stamford, Norwalk, Wilton, Westport, Milford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Newtown, Shelton, Bethel, etc. We've had people in the past from Brookfield, Fairfield, Weston, etc. Mostly twentysomethings and early 30's. Ironically 2 of the oldest/most senior folks in our division are the ones in Stamford.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
You'll be pretty bored in Wilton/most suburbs, they're really geared towards families, not singles. Focus on Stamford - SoNo is an option too, but there's more to do in Stamford.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
You'll be pretty bored in Wilton/most suburbs, they're really geared towards families, not singles. Focus on Stamford - SoNo is an option too, but there's more to do in Stamford.
I'm currently living in one of those boring suburbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree that you might want to rent for a year before buying since you do not know the area that well. Stamford and Norwalk are probably the best choices in the area but I am not sure what you will get for a $280,000 price in those towns if you buy. Remember this is one of the most expensive parts of the country. You might want to consider heading north to Danbury where you get a lot more for your money but it does not have as much nightlife as you may want. Jay
I can increase my max price to 300ks but I found a couple places that looked decent.

91 Strawberry Hill Avenue #641, Stamford, Connecticut 06902 (MLS# 98538993) - Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

20 North Street #4-2, Stamford, Connecticut 06902 (MLS# 98545541) - Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

SoNo
110 Washington Street #203, Norwalk CT - Trulia
2 S Main St # W204 Norwalk CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #98547263 - Realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut