Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 PM

13 posts, read 41,452 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband got a new job in Windsor, CT, and we are moving to CT soon from NJ. We have a few questions and would appreciate any advise from any of you!

1) Is Bushnell Park a safe area?
We like one apartment complex ("Bushnell on the Park") in that area. Would it be safe to walk around the park or the surrounding area at night?

2) Is the traffic heavy from Hartford to Vernon? We're considering one apartment complex in Vernon. We checked out Manchester, and the traffic was pretty bad during the rush hours. We want to know if it is the same with commuting between Vernoon and Hartford/Windsor.

3) Does CT get a lot of snow in winter?

4) Does anyone know about "The 600 Apartment" in Bloomfield? It seems like a nice apartment complex. Any comment on Bloomfield?

We have been doing a lot of apartment hunting. We are looking for a quiet/clean apartment home in a safe neighborhood. We would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:58 PM

273 posts, read 1,338,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj803 View Post
Hi,

My husband got a new job in Windsor, CT, and we are moving to CT soon from NJ. We have a few questions and would appreciate any advise from any of you!

1) Is Bushnell Park a safe area?
We like one apartment complex ("Bushnell on the Park") in that area. Would it be safe to walk around the park or the surrounding area at night?

Bushnell Park area is very safe, and those apts are very nice. As with any city there will always be some stragglers, but I've never had a problem. Weekend nights feel safe most places around the city b/c there are so many people walkiing around and a good police presence (except on some outer edges)

2) Is the traffic heavy from Hartford to Vernon? We're considering one apartment complex in Vernon. We checked out Manchester, and the traffic was pretty bad during the rush hours. We want to know if it is the same with commuting between Vernoon and Hartford/Windsor.

From Hartford to Vernon and from Vernon to Hartford is your best commute at that distance. Out of all directions you can come from, this is the easiest commute. If you have kids and can afford to live in Tolland the town after Vernon coming from Hartford, that would be an excellent choice as well. In the traditional sense of schools and quality of life Tolland is a good choice. You're close enough to everything, have a good commute to hartford, and you're not involved in tons of hubub unless you want to be. It is a little more expensive than vernon, and rockville (part of vernon) being my hometown, I can say with complete confidence, there is gang activity moving back towards the prospect street area now that many of the latin kings and other gangs are being let out and looking for new areas around hartford to settle. I know a few specific people will give me crap about that, but take it from someone who still keeps in contact with a few shady people and I can tell you the honest truth Rockville was on its way back up with many new changes, but is going to see a lot of negative attention in the near future. If you're going to Windsor and not Hartford, then you can just hop on 291 and avoid most of the Hartford traffic. This would be an extremely easy commute. From manchester, vernon, or tolland.

3) Does CT get a lot of snow in winter?

Doubtful that it will get much more than NJ. Alot needs to be defined. Last winter was pretty mild. Its doable, and there wasnt a single day where I didnt feel comfortable driving to work.

4) Does anyone know about "The 600 Apartment" in Bloomfield? It seems like a nice apartment complex. Any comment on Bloomfield?

My friend lives there. I was impressed the first time I went there. He has a 1 bedroom which was pretty spacious and modern, however, it is a little bit expensive for what you get compared to a few vernon apts. That is also in a busy area of Bloomfield, where you will definitely have a busier and more diverse daily routine.

We have been doing a lot of apartment hunting. We are looking for a quiet/clean apartment home in a safe neighborhood. We would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

Other than the 600's in bloomfield, what are some other apts that you guys looked at? I know skytrekker, jviello, and a few others as well as myself are from that area and could give you specific comments on specific apts. In manchester Aspen Woods, Waterford Commons, and a few others are very nice and close to get onto 291 to avoid hartford traffic. East Windsor and Enfield are also close and decent towns to live in. My last place of residence was in Enfield, and it was only a 20 minute commute to bloomfield which is actually further than windsor would have been.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 AM

Thank you, jadedSoul83!!

Does your friend like "The 600 Apartments" in Bloomfield? Is the apartment quiet with good insulation?
(Does he hear neighbors walking/sneezing or ...?)
Since I will be studying during the day time, it's important to me that the apartment stays quiet.
(BTW, we don't have any kids yet.)

My husband needs to get to work by 7:30 a.m., and he doesn't like to get up too early. So, our goal is to find a quiet apartment within 30-minute driving distance to work.

We have looked at many places; among them, we consider the apartments listed below:

1. Vernon
- The Mansions at Hockanum Crossing

2. Bloomfield
- Manor House
- The 600 Apartments

3. Downtown Hartford
- Bushnell on the Park

4. East Hartford
- Woodcliff Estates

5. Windsor
- Williamsburg

6. Manchester
- The Oaks Apartment
(We also like WaterFord Commons, but they don't have anything available for November 1st.)

SNOW
-- I used to live in Boston and Syracuse, so I had experience digging my car out of snow. Well, snow was pretty, but it was not fun trying to clean up my "icy car" early in the morning.

Anyways, Windsor, NJ hardly gets any snow, so when we first moved here, we didn't have to try to get covered parking. So, should we try to get covered parking in CT?
How long does it normally take you to clean up your car in the morning in a snowy day?

If anyone has any comments on the apartments listed above, please let me know! I would also welcome suggestions (e.g. name of a good apartment complex, city, etc.).

Thank you.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:13 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
cj803

Of all the apartment communities you mentioned, 'The Mansions' in Vernon are new and very upscale, in a beautiful hillside community, with amenities like walking paths, fountains and gorgeous views from most of the units. The units have a private entrances, garages, fireplaces and are really nice.

They are far superior to the other places you named above. And Vernon is a nice town. It has a good school system, with good shopping and restaurants in town; and a shoppers mecca in nearby Manchester and South Windsor.

As for snow- it varies from winter to winter. Last year was very mild, with 20" the entire winter. Our winters here will be slightly colder then NJ- with a bit more snow on average. But it is not upstate NY or Vermont.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 AM

311 posts, read 1,823,882 times
Hello - My brother in law actually lived until last month at Bushnell on the Park. I would generally say that it is a safe area and complex, but he did witness a break-in into the apartment right under him (he was on the second floor and they broke in through the balcony/deck entrance). By the time the cops arrived, the crook was long gone. Just one experience though. I would personally avoid both the Manchester and East Hartford apartments you mention above. Both towns have nice areas, but those are not located in the greatest areas and i think you could do better. A commute from Vernon/Manchester to Windsor via interstate 291 would not be bad at all since you would avoid hartford traffic in the morning. Bloomfield would also be a good location, but I don't know much about the 600 apartments you mention above except getting in and out of them might be a challange since they are off of a pretty busy route (218) in bloomfield. There is the Hawthorne at Gillette Ridge which might fit your needs (also in Bloomfield). These are new, luxury apartments so they might be more than you want to pay in rent (not sure what your price range is). I had friends who lived there and they were quite happy with the apartments and the amenities. I've also heard good things about the mansions at Hockunum from others on these forums.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 AM

Thank you, Skytrekker and Srib!!

I will check out the Hawthorne at Gillette Ridge.
My husband and I are looking for a one-bedroom apartment, and we prefer to pay less than $1400 for rent & utilities.

Thank you for your help!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 AM

here is a link that might help you with more info on the Hawthorne ones....

The Hawthorne at Gillette Ridge

Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Thank you.

I called the Hawthorne at Gillette Ridge. Its one-bedroom is $1515, not including any utilities. ...
Wow. ... It's a lovely complex, but we cannot afford it.

Any other suggestions?
So far, I like The Mansions at Hockanum Crossing the most.

Thank you.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM

WOW - I can't believe that they are that expensive for a 1 bedroom. Must be the golf course views...I think the Mansions are a good bet. I also wouldn't rule out the 600 in Bloomfield, sure its a busy road to get in and out, but it is suppose to me a nice complex. Good luck

Old 10-12-2007, 10:49 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
cj803 - I just want to welcome you and your husband to Connecticut. I am sure you are going to like it here. I haven't replied to your post because everyone else here did such a great job answering your questions. I hope they helped. I hear good things about the Mansions in Vernon. Good luck with your search and let us know where you end up and if you have any questions. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut