Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times

Advertisements

Replacement Baby Jesus Found for One Stolen From Torrington Christmas Village - News - The Litchfield County Times

Everyone can rest easily! A replacement baby Jesus statue has been donated by a citizen.

However, there has been a rash of similar thefts over the years. Try Google, and you will see thefts have happened in Waterford, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina, etc. It is common enough to merit a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Jesus_theft

Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,990 times
I can't speak for this season as I haven't seen the village but they have displayed a menorah, carolers of color, etc in the past. Note they also have an African American and hearing impaired Santa during the season. They make every effort to use it as a celebration for all. I don't know about the actual sponsorship by the town but it used to be funded strictly by local first responders and the city just owns the property (estate left by a family).

Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
I can't speak for this season as I haven't seen the village but they have displayed a menorah, carolers of color, etc in the past. Note they also have an African American and hearing impaired Santa during the season. They make every effort to use it as a celebration for all. I don't know about the actual sponsorship by the town but it used to be funded strictly by local first responders and the city just owns the property (estate left by a family).
Huh!?! I didn't realize the display was targeted at white Christians and that African Americans and other people of color added "religious diversity."

If there is a baby Jesus it's not a celebration for Jews, Muslims or Atheists.

It seems apparent that town personnel and-- by extension town budget-- is used for this religious display. Regardless of who it's open to or how diverse they try to make the appeal-- It's in appropriate. I would say the same thing if it were a giant menorah on display.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
I can't speak for this season as I haven't seen the village but they have displayed a menorah, carolers of color, etc in the past. Note they also have an African American and hearing impaired Santa during the season. They make every effort to use it as a celebration for all.
LOL!

Oh, wait, you're serious?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,990 times
Didn't realize you had a copy of the town budget showing expenses were covered by city dollars since it supposedly operates on donations im intrigued please post a link. Yes serious...there was a menorah (yes a giant menorah on display) when I visited...there may very well be a kinara for kwanza, its been probably 10 years since I've been. My post was meant to show that they strive for diversity religious or otherwise to make it a place for everyone...its about respect for the holidays celebrated at that time of the year...is there something you want to celebrate you should make an effort to see it visible instead of just being a hater.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Didn't realize you had a copy of the town budget showing expenses were covered by city dollars since it supposedly operates on donations im intrigued please post a link. Yes serious...there was a menorah (yes a giant menorah on display) when I visited...there may very well be a kinara for kwanza, its been probably 10 years since I've been. My post was meant to show that they strive for diversity religious or otherwise to make it a place for everyone...its about respect for the holidays celebrated at that time of the year...is there something you want to celebrate you should make an effort to see it visible instead of just being a hater.
The town is sponsoring a religious event. I don't care if they have 20 menorahs. Town workers set it up, the town recreation director is in charge of it. It's inappropriate and likely unconstitutional.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The town is sponsoring a religious event. I don't care if they have 20 menorahs. Town workers set it up, the town recreation director is in charge of it. It's inappropriate and likely unconstitutional.
Let's not blow this out of proportion. What are your thoughts around police being used to protect the Clan (or similar hate group, maybe Westboro baptists) marching in town or directing traffic at a busy Catholic church on Sundays? Are you also aware that public tax dollars must pay for transportation at parochial schools?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Let's not blow this out of proportion. What are your thoughts around police being used to protect the Clan (or similar hate group, maybe Westboro baptists) marching in town or directing traffic at a busy Catholic church on Sundays? Are you also aware that public tax dollars must pay for transportation at parochial schools?
I have no problem with any of the above. None are equivalent to a town sponsoring a religious event, and are all done to protect the public or provide kids with necessary transportation. I'm not unreasonable.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
All of the out of towners are still wrong in your assumptions.. stick to your own backyard. You have no clue and dont need one as it has no effect on you. People donate time as well as funds. Go back to what you were doing.. again we have it covered. Thanks for your concern though. Goodbye.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Goodbye.
Finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut