Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Look at the murder rates of suburban police officers. It's a very safe job. Nobody is saying the job is easy though.
Most likely way a police officer will die is in a car accident. They have a badge, gun, nightstick and a radio/backup to deal with the dirt as you put it. They should just hire more police officers rather than paying overtime. More jobs and people really shouldn't be doing a stressful job like that more than 40 hours anyway. Good way to burn out.
I agree with you on almost all points, but safety also includes being injured, etc.

Quote:
The most obscenely paid officers aren't patrolmen, but LT's, chiefs ect. The one's that sit at a desk all day. They can rake in well over 100k without OT. Unconn's police chief made over 200k That's obscene.
And I agree that Chief's salaries are high, but they aren't allowed to collect OT. It also depends on the department - UCONN's chief should NOT be making that much, but New Haven/Bridgeport/Hartford's chief have a tough job and are scrutinized to the fullest everyday. If the pay isn't high, good candidiates will go elsewhere.

It's easy to judge from the outside looking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
There's a 1000 qualified applicants for every opening in many cases. Competition is intense to become a police officer. People spend years trying to get hired. It didn't used to be like this, but it is now.(due to a shrinking amount of jobs that pay a living wage) Very difficult to get hired on. Talk to any recent recruit and you'll find out. Nobody wants to admit it, but police/fireman jobs are the gravy right now for the majority. It gives you a solid middle class income with great benefits, job security, and is an exciting career path for many who are interested in the field.
Oh, I know - I'm well aware. It's incredible how many people - even middle aged people - are trying to become cops. What they're trying to avoid during the recruitment phase is DQ anyone who is in it just for the benefits.

But keep in mind that in many small towns, for the first 5 years, you're only making $45-50k. And many departments have done away with pensions in favor of 401ks.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
For someone who deals with the scum of the earth on a daily basis, me too. It boggles my mind when people complain about the salary of a police officer, the person they call when they're in need, as if they would rather have them be paid $15/hr with little benefits. You get what you pay for.

I didn't see a thread about the massive quarter-billion dollar insider trading investigation engulfing SAC Capital last week, but when a middle class guy is accused of committing larceny, he's subject to a firing squad.
I get what you're saying, but, when people who have power over your very freedom are doing the very thing they are tasked to prevent/stop/aprehend it kind of goes up the ol touchhole sideways, know what I mean?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I get what you're saying, but, when people who have power over your very freedom are doing the very thing they are tasked to prevent/stop/aprehend it kind of goes up the ol touchhole sideways, know what I mean?
Yep - I know exactly what you mean. I'm not condoning the behavior by any means and he should be punished to the fullest extent.

That said, there seems to be a bandwagon that everyone hops on when something goes wrong with police officers - the profession as a whole is shamed. "Their pay is too high!" "They're bullies!" "Overtime!" "Overtime!" "Overtime!"

Jeesh, people need to give it a rest.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
I bet he loses his job, he should end up in jail as well. Third Degree Larceny ($1001- $5000). Up to 5 years in Prison, fines up to $5,000. It is a Class D Felony. He is charged with two counts of the above, plus interfering with police and tampering with or fabricating physical evidence. I wonder how many times he has done this before? Really sickening the family has to deal with a theft such as this on top of a loved ones death.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I bet he loses his job, he should end up in jail as well. Third Degree Larceny ($1001- $5000). Up to 5 years in Prison, fines up to $5,000. It is a Class D Felony. He is charged with two counts of the above, plus interfering with police and tampering with or fabricating physical evidence. I wonder how many times he has done this before? Really sickening the family has to deal with a theft such as this on top of a loved ones death.
I wondered the same thing.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
One split second of temptation and a career spoiled. It appears as the cop was looking over the victim of the crash that as he was looking for ID he saw the wad of cash...I could see how that could be tempting and how a spit second decision to take to could take place...but to take the the gold and clothing...where was this clothing..? Was it in a saddle bag...was it on the victim...this took a bit of premeditation and enough time for reconsideration...If it is proven to be true...imagine what else this goof has done...I wonder how much cocaine and pot he has stolen and used or resold...This is not a first for this guy...robbing a corpse is low...I am sure he has stooped lower.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Good Lord.. You walk over to see some poor young man with his body contorted..neck twisted..smashed to crap and the first thing you thing is "I wonder if he has got any money on him?" Makes you wonder how many victims of highway accidents have bled to death as he stalled the rescue process while he goes through their pockets. There is a name for this type of person.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,637 times
The ruin is always just around the corner, waiting for all kind of ppl smart or not, mad or sane, no one is excluded from the list, it is statistically proven that the duality of the human mind follows an instinct of compensation, guard, or a thief? nun or a prostitute? may a prostitute become nun?? or viceversa?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
The ruin is always just around the corner, waiting for all kind of ppl smart or not, mad or sane, no one is excluded from the list, it is statistically proven that the duality of the human mind follows an instinct of compensation, guard, or a thief? nun or a prostitute? may a prostitute become nun?? or viceversa?
MONEY and the love of it can be a curse...as a kid I was snooping in my mothers bedroom and saw a wad of cash under the mattress...Yes some people keep things under the mattress...In a quick bold and careless move I took it- yep I robbed my own mother...and off I went..to party for a few days...stayed in a nice hotel and handed out 100 dollar bills to beggars....It was funny- I was old enough to drink - I was in the bowels of the city and the bar tender would beckon me to the phone...The family was attempting to track me down before I blew all the cash...It was hard to live down...fist it was "You stole your dad's tombstone money"- then it was "you took the winter fuel money" - The reality was my mother was just hoarding cash...no harm no foul. Other than the broken trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut