Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,906,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
This.

Many, many times while waiting in a backup on the Parkway due to an accident, i've pondered why, WHY the territory is exclusive to state troopers. When you see a Westport(or whatever town) firetruck sitting at the scene for 15 minutes, and still no trooper, you really have to scratch your head about the logistics. Do we have a state fire department force with exclusive rights to the highways? Of course not!
Could it possibly be the unions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
This.

Many, many times while waiting in a backup on the Parkway due to an accident, i've pondered why, WHY the territory is exclusive to state troopers. When you see a Westport(or whatever town) firetruck sitting at the scene for 15 minutes, and still no trooper, you really have to scratch your head about the logistics. Do we have a state fire department force with exclusive rights to the highways? Of course not!
I don't disagree with that at all, but it is what it is. As it stands right now, the only solid days off a trooper has is a vacation day. Going back to the main point on salary, that's definitely worth the upper middle class salary this guy was making.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Could it possibly be the unions?
Union bashing. My favorite topic. Joy.....

No, it isn't the "union". It's a lot more complicated than that. Individual towns/cities fund their police forces out of their own coffers. If the state starts telling them to send their officers on their highways, those municipalities will have their hands out looking for $$$$ from the state.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,005,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I don't agree with that. Teaching is not a difficult profession with all kinds of vacation/time off. 90% of the job is classroom management/discipline. TONS of competition for the jobs with high job satisfaction. Absolutely no reason to pay that kind of money.There's a standard curriculum to be taught. Just follow the standards and explain things in a clear and concise manner. I still can't believe they haven't put classroom lectures on dvd. Check out khan academy, which has online lectures on many subjects. It's better than many teachers. The problem with some bad teachers is that they are not good at explaining things simply. Most of the time though perfectly good teachers get blamed for poor performing students in inner city areas. Test results are highly based on the intellectual ability of the students and not the teachers.
I would never want to pay a teacher 100K per year. But if I HAD to pay a state trooper or a teacher 100K I would pay the teacher. In terms of supply and demand there is a shortage of some types of teachers like science and math. This is because its hard to get people with a BS in chemistry or physics to teach. But for other types of teachers there is more supply. So you can make a logical argument in different cases.

However regarding police and state troopers there is a complete oversupply. People like to idolize and paint police as saints and pay them like saints. That unfortunately is all fantasy.

We need to be smart about how we pay our state workers. I would rather have good schools then a highly compensated police force. The best way to have good schools is to have highly trained smart teachers. Building schools is a waste of money. Spending money on more charter schools is a waste. All these ancillary things are a waste because it really is as simple as supply and demand.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I would never want to pay a teacher 100K per year. But if I HAD to pay a state trooper or a teacher 100K I would pay the teacher. In terms of supply and demand there is a shortage of some types of teachers like science and math. This is because its hard to get people with a BS in chemistry or physics to teach. But for other types of teachers there is more supply. So you can make a logical argument in different cases.

However regarding police and state troopers there is a complete oversupply. People like to idolize and paint police as saints and pay them like saints. That unfortunately is all fantasy.

We need to be smart about how we pay our state workers. I would rather have good schools then a highly compensated police force. The best way to have good schools is to have highly trained smart teachers. Building schools is a waste of money. Spending money on more charter schools is a waste. All these ancillary things are a waste because it really is as simple as supply and demand.
LOL yes, lets pay someone who doesn't work 3 months out of the year more than the cop who deals with scumbags on a daily basis.

There is an oversupply of police? Tell that to the commuters between Bridgeport and Greenwich where one trooper patrols on a daily basis. How about when I was in a car accident a few months back on 95 in eastern CT - it took the trooper 35 minutes to arrive because nobody else was closer (and he went lights and sirens). Currently there are 100 less on the road than the state mandate. But yeah - oversupply.

I don't see anyone idolizing the profession. What I do see are clarifications of ignorant statements and a lot of misinformation.

Have you gotten a ticket lately?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,005,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
LOL yes, lets pay someone who doesn't work 3 months out of the year more than the cop who deals with scumbags on a daily basis.

There is an oversupply of police? Tell that to the commuters between Bridgeport and Greenwich where one trooper patrols on a daily basis. How about when I was in a car accident a few months back on 95 in eastern CT - it took the trooper 35 minutes to arrive because nobody else was closer (and he went lights and sirens). Currently there are 100 less on the road than the state mandate. But yeah - oversupply.

I don't see anyone idolizing the profession. What I do see are clarifications of ignorant statements and a lot of misinformation.

I personally think teaching is much harder than being a state trooper. That being said what I think is harder really is irrelevant to the discussion.

You just proved my point with your post! My argument is supply and demand. There are 48,000 teachers in CT. So there is demand to keep that number hired to educate the kids. There are about 1000 state troopers. There is about 50 times the demand for teachers than state police.

This is a very logical argument. A teacher requires more schooling and degrees than the state police. The waiting line to be a state cop is enormous. It is smart as a tax payer to massively cut the state police salary because there is a massive oversupply. There is no economic reason to pay them as much as we do.

The average spending per pupil in Ct schools is 14K per year. We should try to drop this cost as well.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I personally think teaching is much harder than being a state trooper. That being said what I think is harder really is irrelevant to the discussion.

You just proved my point with your post! My argument is supply and demand. There are 48,000 teachers in CT. So there is demand to keep that number hired to educate the kids. There are about 1000 state troopers. There is about 50 times the demand for teachers than state police.
Um - how do you figure?

I also find it funny that one wants to cut the state police, yet they are the first ones to complain when no cop is available to assist them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I agree that cuts need to be made, but not in the areas you suggest. Your solutions are downright scary.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
It is smart as a tax payer to massively cut the state police salary because there is a massive oversupply. There is no economic reason to pay them as much as we do.
While i do feel that 80K is a slightly high salary for a 20-year trooper, i would never be in favor of cutting their pay. I do think there should be a salary cap at around the 15 year mark for a trooper. If they want to expand their earnings, move up the ladder to lieutenant/etc.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
While i do feel that 80K is a slightly high salary for a 20-year trooper, i would never be in favor of cutting their pay. I do think there should be a salary cap at around the 15 year mark for a trooper. If they want to expand their earnings, move up the ladder to lieutenant/etc.
There is a salary cap for patrolman. Do you mean including OT? If so, I don't agree. Then you wouldn't have enough troopers to do road jobs.

I do think that taking away the top 3 to include OT is a must, though.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,906,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Actually, I did. I was on RT 6 in North Windham when a highly trained state trooper was tucked into the woods and spotted me (guilty admission part here) with my cell phone held to my mouth doing a (rare for me) voice to text. The dude was on me, lights and siren all puffed up and indignant. Kinda funny, really. It was my first offense, and I plead not guilty; we'll see where it goes. BTW, he had absolutely no flexibility in giving this no record, law abiding (almost always...) middle class dude a break. A joke, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut