Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Also even if the money being spent on it could be applied to other transportation projects, it would still not solve the traffic problems on I-84 west of Hartford or bring a quality commuter rail service to the city. Jay
Well, one thing we do know is thanks to the busway is going to hurt our chances for getting the funding needed for rail - and we could use it badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT
And remember the City of Hartford itself may be poor but metropolitan Hartford is one of the wealthiest in the nation. Jay
That's my point. Wealthy suburbanites generally are not geared toward buses as a mode of public transportation. That's unfortunate, since buses have proven reliable, but it's a reality. To this day there's still a stigma attached to buses as being transport for the poor. Even with this attitude fading, I still don't see this making a notable impact in people relying on something other than cars to get places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
The busway is a white elephant already, and will be a big part of Malloy's legacy. Serving commuters from New Britain to Hartford for $500 million plus? LOL.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I've been reading the CT Mirror. I see Foley will run again and he only lost by 2000 votes more or less. A lot of people angry at Malloy too. What's your feeling?
No- he's gonna try to move on to bigger frying pans

Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Those are some brave souls Jay. I'm not sure outside of a metropolis like NYC why anyone would choose a bus over car. Hartford driving is pretty painless compared with SW CT or greater NY. Yes, you'll gain a few minutes to catch up on reading, but you will be beholden to a schedule and slow your commute.
Why are they brave? Most use express buses from their towns into downtown. Yes, you are beholden to a schedule but that is true with any form of mass transit. Jay

Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, one thing we do know is thanks to the busway is going to hurt our chances for getting the funding needed for rail - and we could use it badly.

That's my point. Wealthy suburbanites generally are not geared toward buses as a mode of public transportation. That's unfortunate, since buses have proven reliable, but it's a reality. To this day there's still a stigma attached to buses as being transport for the poor. Even with this attitude fading, I still don't see this making a notable impact in people relying on something other than cars to get places.
How is the busway going to hurt our chances for rail funding??? The chances of there ever being a commuter rail line on that right of way are slim to none despite what some politicians say. They really do not know anything about the process and the funding. These are the same idiots who said that the busway money could be used to improve roads which is COMPLETELY wrong. IF the state decided to even try for rail we would be at the bottom of a very long list and our rating for ridership would be so low it is unlikely we would get funding in the next 20 years. Rail transit is very expensive to implement unless there is already some level of rail facilities in place. The state has received a lot of money already for the New Haven- Hartford-Springfield rail project and will likely recieve a lot more since it is one of the highest priority rail lines in the country. Jay

Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM

442 posts, read 455,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Those are some brave souls Jay. I'm not sure outside of a metropolis like NYC why anyone would choose a bus over car. Hartford driving is pretty painless compared with SW CT or greater NY. Yes, you'll gain a few minutes to catch up on reading, but you will be beholden to a schedule and slow your commute.
How are they brave souls?

A lot of commuters use that time to work on the bus.

Why, outside of NYC? Parking at my wife's facility runs to nearly $200/month. That coupled with the price of gas is enough of a reason to take the bus. Plus, you don't get the wear and tear on your vehicle if you're taking the bus.

If you don't like the schedule in the town you live in, you can always drive closer to the city and get on there, where there are more frequent departures.

Anyway, some people will always be against busses, while some will always be for busses.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How is the busway going to hurt our chances for rail funding???
I was referring to the Springfield-New Haven project, which to the best of my knowledge is NOT set in stone. Even if it is, towns with established train tracks that could benefit from this (specifically Newington and Elmwood) are less likely to be considered for stops if there's already a busway in town. I could easily see these towns being passed over now, and there's a greater likelihood that people would use rail if it were available to them. Further, there isn't a single council member in my town, in either party, who supports the busway. Nearly all of them, however, have stated they support rail. It's a similar scenario in Newington, too. They, too, consider it wasteful spending under this administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT
These are the same idiots who said that the busway money could be used to improve roads which is COMPLETELY wrong.
Actually, the intersection of Flatbush and New Park IS being improved, as you mentioned earlier.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I was referring to the Springfield-New Haven project, which to the best of my knowledge is NOT set in stone. Even if it is, towns with established train tracks that could benefit from this (specifically Newington and Elmwood) are less likely to be considered for stops if there's already a busway in town. I could easily see these towns being passed over now, and there's a greater likelihood that people would use rail if it were available to them. Further, there isn't a single council member in my town, in either party, who supports the busway. Nearly all of them, however, have stated they support rail. It's a similar scenario in Newington, too. They, too, consider it wasteful spending under this administration.

Actually, the intersection of Flatbush and New Park IS being improved, as you mentioned earlier.
The New Haven-Hartford-Springfield rail project is set in stone. The first phase which upgrades and adds a second track to sections of the line is currently being designed and has money to fund construction. It is one of the highest priority rail projects in the country.

So you know, the busway project was begun under John Rowland's administration and continued under Jodi Rell. Molloy just walked into it begining construction. I think John Rowland is a hypocrite now when he downs the busway since it was his adminsitration that started and supported it. Where was he and all those other politicians when the busway planning was going on? I can tell you, they were happy because Hartford was finally planning for mass transit rather than just widening its highways. They then switched when it became clear the there was some public sentiment against spending $560 million on it. It does not make sense to go and turn down a long planned project when it is about to go to construction.

As for the intersection of Flatbush and New Park, it is being rebuilt to remove an at grade crossing of both a rail line and the busway which is why it is fundable. This is a project that likely would need to be done in the future when the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield project gets completed and it is one of the most expensive elements of the busway project. We would still be spending that money there one day anyway. Jay

Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
It really isnt going to matter. It's not like we will ever get a Governor or other politicians in this state that will make it more affordable to live here. Cost of living and taxes on this that and this are a killer.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:51 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
It really isnt going to matter. It's not like we will ever get a Governor or other politicians in this state that will make it more affordable to live here. Cost of living and taxes on this that and this are a killer.
Unfurtunate that what you state is true. I'm convinced that if the democrat running for office next stated he/she is in favor of raising the state income tax to 50% that candidate would still get lots of votes. Taxes in this state are the killer, ct is a great place to live if you can afford it. Weather for the most part is decent, good restaurants, cultural activities, proximity to both Boston and NYC, many other positives as well, but seems everywhere you turn some municipality etc etc is looking for a piece of your wallet, car taxes, etc etc. Property taxes are almost getting as bad as ny, which is why we left there 8 years ago. Come to the realization as a married couple, both in our 40s, with no kids, and no ties here, no way could we retire here because of the bigger bite we would have to pay in taxes. We will have a decent amount in our 401ks, wife has a pension from a prior job in ny, my job now if I become vested and stay I will have a pension as well as a 401 k but no way will we let this state govt take a chunk of our retirement each year for taxes, plus play property taxes, where retiree friendly states have great retirement communities, tons of amenities, and cheap property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut