Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I agree with you. But as a Republican, i will note that our "leadership" was Republican for a number of years preceding Malloy's entrance.
Oh, I know. As an Independent, I've voted for Republicans in the past - including Rowland and Rell. The former was a crook, the latter didn't do anything. Nice, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Only if the Republicans put up a sure loser…which they probably will unfortunately. Lauretti will definitely lose. I can't stand Malloy and want to see him gone, but I'd probably stay home rather than vote for him.
Lauretti has some very shady dealings. I know the staff at City Hall expect the FBI to pull up one day and cart him off to jail. I defintely would not vote for him. Jay

Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Maybe Linda will run for governor?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
My point is this: We've had ineffective leadership for years, and it's the taxpayers who are paying the price for it. This state has an undeniable spending problem (the $750 million busway comes to mind as an example of this), our unemployment rate is higher than the national average, those who are employed are feeling the pinch, and our governor basically held a gun to our heads, forced the state's largest tax increase in history on us and said "pay up, deadbeats. You can afford it - You live in Connecticut, remember?" Yes, Malloy has given us the awful truth - but IMO he hasn't done anything to rectify the problem. I know he loved to pride himself on bringing in companies from other states - but that's because he gave them sweetheart deals with low tax rates. His attitude is "We have to have low tax rates for corporations - otherwise they'll relocate. But the residents will never leave, so we can tax them more heavily." Only there's one little problem with that - people ARE leaving. And so are many insurance companies in the Hartford area. Taxes IMO are not the reason - many large corproations are simply looking for cheaper labor in the midwest or south or pay scales are lower and there's less government oversight (which means less accountability for questionable behavior) - but no matter how you look at it, we're not a business-friendly state. We're simply not. And personally, I think residents deserve a break. When I look at what we pay in taxes and what we get in return, it just doesn't add up. We deserve better in this state. And I don't think Taxman Dan is going to provide that if he serves another term, I just don't.
The Busway is not costing $750 million. It is $560 million. And it will bring a much needed mass transit element to Hartford that never existed before. But of course talking about it further would be going off topic. Jay

Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Busway is not costing $750 million. It is $560 million. And it will bring a much needed mass transit element to Hartford that never existed before. But of course talking about it further would be going off topic. Jay
It is expected to carry about 15 passengers an hour, and is projected to lose about $10 million a year. It is a waste, and it's wasteful spending like this that's caused a great deal of resentment towards our current leadership. So I wasn't trying to go off-topic, I was just trying to emphasize how his governing style is really detrimental to what this state needs. This is an example of it. We've had wasteful spending under Malloy, and this is precisely why I - as with many others - will not be voting for him if he has the gall to run again.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
It is expected to carry about 15 passengers an hour, and is projected to lose about $10 million a year. It is a waste, and it's wasteful spending like this that's caused a great deal of resentment towards our current leadership. So I wasn't trying to go off-topic, I was just trying to emphasize how his governing style is really detrimental to what this state needs. This is an example of it. We've had wasteful spending under Malloy, and this is precisely why I - as with many others - will not be voting for him if he has the gall to run again.
I agree.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Worst transit project in the US. A dubious honor if you ask me. Also with respect to Malloy, he helps validate that higher income taxes do not lead in higher revenues. A lesson already learned (painfully) by Maryland. Revenues are down y/y despite enacting the largest tax increases in the history of our state. When are these pols from both parties going to learn that we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. I'm counting the days until his exit.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Does anyone know the portion paid for (via bonds, or other means) by Ct? Just curious, as often from the state's point of view what has a decent ROI is a far cry from viewing it from return vs TOTAL costs.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
We need a governor like Jasper McLevy. Anyone old enough to remember him?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM

470 posts, read 1,664,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Does anyone know the portion paid for (via bonds, or other means) by Ct? Just curious, as often from the state's point of view what has a decent ROI is a far cry from viewing it from return vs TOTAL costs.
Differnet sources are saying wither 20% state and 80% federal funding to $400 million federal funding, the rest state.

Total costs are anywhere from $550 million to as high as $700 million depending on the article.... i just want to point out how often CT goes WAY over budget on construction... remember I-84 in Waterbury - Cheshire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut