U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 AM

895 posts, read 1,315,928 times
Default What temp is too cold to force kids to outside recess?

The local elementary school here forces kids outside until the windchill hits <32. Meaning the airtemp should be higher right? So a day like today that has 32 temp would have lower windchills. So they should be inside right. Not w/our principle. Anyway, what do your schools/districts do here in CT for outdoor recess? do you know?

I know many kids in my daughters class have sweatjackets - fake fleece lined maybe - and light knit stretchy gloves, but still that doesn't protect them against hypo thermia does it? There's no provision for a kid who isn't properly attired to stay inside. Its everyone out and freeze.

My Kid has a fakefurlined winter appropriate coat etc etc. but even she was freezing last week.

I'm emphasizing fake fur so no one here jumps on a PETA bandwagon and misses my real question. Do you know what the rules are for your districts?

Also, is it right to send them out when everything is sopping wet after a rain? crumbled rubber playground cover is slippery when wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM

885 posts, read 648,326 times
Sounds about right. They are tougher than you think

Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,065,043 times
I wouldn't want them to be out on a wet playground where they can slip and fall but 32degrees won't kill them. As long as the kids are dressed apporpriately and don't have any chronic health conditions like asthma they can tolerate the cold. They are kids they will run around and warm up. I would say maybe under 30 degress might be too cold for very young children.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
As long as the kids are dressed apporpriately.
There's no provision for if they aren't dressed right. Thoughts on that?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,811,048 times
We send our kids outside to play at 32*f and not think twice about it.

Our schools cold weather policy.

Cold Weather Guidelines
Elementary students are expected to go outside at noon recess under most weather conditions. In the winter, children should dress warmly and wear boots, snow pants, warm jackets, hats and mittens. Each school has systems to ensure children are dressed properly for outdoor play.
Principals are responsible for implementing cold weather guidelines for their school building. Staff will monitor outdoor conditions at 0 degrees and below to determine if students need to remain indoors because of cold air temperatures and/or wind speeds. Schools will not send children outdoors if the wind chill is -18 or less.
Schools are equipped with weather radios that inform staff of National Weather Service alerts:
Cautionary (Wind chills of -18 to -20 degrees)
Advisory (Wind chill of -25 degrees or below)
Or Warning (Wind chill of -35 degrees or below)

The Op needs to dress their child appropriately, it is your responsibility.
I wonder if the op knows their schools cold weather policy?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,065,043 times
That's a parenting issue. I guess if the teacher sees the child dressed inappropriately they can keep the child in and address it with the parents. The thing is that the child had to leave the house to get to the school so they should have been dressed correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
There's no provision for if they aren't dressed right. Thoughts on that?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Snofarmer - thoughts on provisions for kids who aren't appropriately dressed? My daughter has a friend who only has a light sweatjacket. I don't know reasons why, but that is what the girl has. Should she be kept inside, given this is a low bodyfat kid, who feels it more? Recess monitors are the school secretary, and some parttime moms who watch lunch and recess, and spend their time talking vs. checking the kids.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper03 View Post
that's a parenting issue. I guess if the teacher sees the child dressed inappropriately they can keep the child in and address it with the parents. The thing is that the child had to leave the house to get to the school so they should have been dressed correctly.
+1000

Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM

and again this is a question for CT parents in our varying temps.But thank you all you deep Northerners

Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM

11,770 posts, read 12,039,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
We send our kids outside to play at 32*f and not think twice about it.

Our schools cold weather policy.

Cold Weather Guidelines
Elementary students are expected to go outside at noon recess under most weather conditions. In the winter, children should dress warmly and wear boots, snow pants, warm jackets, hats and mittens. Each school has systems to ensure children are dressed properly for outdoor play.
Principals are responsible for implementing cold weather guidelines for their school building. Staff will monitor outdoor conditions at 0 degrees and below to determine if students need to remain indoors because of cold air temperatures and/or wind speeds. Schools will not send children outdoors if the wind chill is -18 or less.
Schools are equipped with weather radios that inform staff of National Weather Service alerts:
Cautionary (Wind chills of -18 to -20 degrees)
Advisory (Wind chill of -25 degrees or below)
Or Warning (Wind chill of -35 degrees or below)

The Op needs to dress their child appropriately, it is your responsibility.
I wonder if the op knows their schools cold weather policy?
This is all good and well, but you have to remember, people in the coastal Northeast will feel temperatures different than someone in the upper Midwest, the same way a South Floridian will think NYC is freezing in April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut