Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2ct View Post
First, everyone has to admit that we are talking in generalizations. The one comment about "everyone" in CT is silly.

I have lived in CT for 4 years now and came from SC where I spent my adult life. The differences are profound but both have strengths and weaknesses.

The politeness in the South is genuine. People are neighborly. They hold the door open for you and will say hi when you pass them in the neighborhood. I learned by repeated experience that most people in CT (proxy for the NE) will pass you without acknowledging you. I agree with the post about getting to know people in CT but my experience is that there are so many type A people in CT that rudeness is ubiquitous. It's dog eat dog.
The holding the door for you stands out to me. In my experience in SC, I always hold the door for the person behind me and you know what they do? They leave me contorting my body holding the door because despite their rudeness in not holding the door so they can continue through I haven't let it go to slam on them. In CT that has never happened to me. Southern hospitality does not exist anymore if it ever did. It's pure myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM

119 posts, read 173,452 times
I agree with trishguard. I teach my kids to be polite, not where I come from.

nu2ct, maybe you found politeness, but I sure as heck did not. Here is something I found to be very rude, at my son's birthday party I had a few friends over, one friend worked with my now ex and the couple went to church with me. Now the friend who worked with my ex, her and I were very good friends. The couple from church I was still getting to know. Our friend is a very religious person, but keeps it to her self (as in does not push it on to others), the couple on the other hand could not talk about anything but GOD!! Sorry but a child's birthday party is not the time or place to try and sell your God. Our friend was very offended by this and held back on telling the couple off. This couple was not the first time I ran into people in the south doing this and I was living in SC when this happened.

I have never had a problem in CT with people being all up in my business about church and God. Actually I was taught that it's one of those things you don't talk about.

As for holding the door open, I do that a lot of the times, but hardly ever have southern people do that for me. Now don't get me wrong I know some nice people who are southerners, my friend I was just talking about, I love her to death, but I have found more rudeness then politeness.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
New England is the greatest place in America by pretty much every important standard.

Maybe you should just deal with it, OP?
I reped you for this, but, you do realize that the rest of New England does not believe that Connecticut is a part of New England, right? Sure you heard that before...

Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I reped you for this, but, you do realize that the rest of New England does not believe that Connecticut is a part of New England, right? Sure you heard that before...
Actually not true except for a few snobs. Jay

Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM

214 posts, read 290,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine7910 View Post
I agree with trishguard. I teach my kids to be polite, not where I come from.

nu2ct, maybe you found politeness, but I sure as heck did not. Here is something I found to be very rude, at my son's birthday party I had a few friends over, one friend worked with my now ex and the couple went to church with me. Now the friend who worked with my ex, her and I were very good friends. The couple from church I was still getting to know. Our friend is a very religious person, but keeps it to her self (as in does not push it on to others), the couple on the other hand could not talk about anything but GOD!! Sorry but a child's birthday party is not the time or place to try and sell your God. Our friend was very offended by this and held back on telling the couple off. This couple was not the first time I ran into people in the south doing this and I was living in SC when this happened.

I have never had a problem in CT with people being all up in my business about church and God. Actually I was taught that it's one of those things you don't talk about.

As for holding the door open, I do that a lot of the times, but hardly ever have southern people do that for me. Now don't get me wrong I know some nice people who are southerners, my friend I was just talking about, I love her to death, but I have found more rudeness then politeness.
I don't mean to sound like a troll, but to be as generous as I can without being dishonest, southerners are some of the lowest forms of life on the planet morally speaking, even in the urban and suburban areas. Their entire culture continues to be built upon oppression. They never sincerely bothered to investigate the issue of to whether slaves were human beings, and fought an entire brutal and bloody war over their desire to oppress an entire race of people for the sake of their personal convenience.

To this day, they have almost no remorse or regret over it. You really don't hear about it on the news or even on their local media, so in order to see it for yourself, you need to be there in person. And once you are there in person you don't hear anything along the lines of "We were wrong for using slavery, we apologize."

Instead, you hear endless rationalizations such as, "The north isn't being honest with you about what really happened- slavery was on the way out anyway," and, "The north didn't need to infringe on states' rights, geez! Leave us alone," even though the south could have switched to horse-powered machinery at any point as an alternative to slave labor, but insisted against doing so. Industry was well under way in New England 50 years prior to the Civil War. No real excuse for the South not to have gotten on board much sooner, which means that they were using slavery by choice. Which means the South would probably be using slaves to this day if New England and the north hadn't have stopped them.

And to this day, their views are counted as "equal"? Even more outrageous: they claim that their views and culture are misrepresented!!!!!

Oh, and note to people who move to Connecticut and New England: Holding a door for someone is pointless. Open your own door like an adult.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM

140 posts, read 259,563 times
I experience very nice and very rude people no matter where I've lived (Colorado, Arizona, South Carolina, Connecticut), and many places I've visited (California, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Virginia, etc.). Southerners, at least from my experience generally have more friendly than rude people, while in New England, its a mix (but generally friendly). In Colorado and Arizona both, I enountered many friendly people, and a few rude people.

My basic point is, you'll encounter friendly and rude people no matter where you are, and in general for me at least, there really isn't a huge noticable difference in the amount of friendly people in each region I've been in (New England, Mid-Atlantic, South, Southwest). Generally its quite similar based on my experience.

When I was in Arizona, I was holding the door for someone (it was a restaurant with double doors), and they just rudely look at me and decide to go through the other door instead of the one I'm holding for them. I've also had people walk through and not even smile or say "Thank you". In general, I've encountered this everywhere I've been from here in Connecticut to when I used to live in Colorado & Arizona.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
I don't mean to sound like a troll, but to be as generous as I can without being dishonest, southerners are some of the lowest forms of life on the planet morally speaking, even in the urban and suburban areas. Their entire culture continues to be built upon oppression. They never sincerely bothered to investigate the issue of to whether slaves were human beings, and fought an entire brutal and bloody war over their desire to oppress an entire race of people for the sake of their personal convenience.

To this day, they have almost no remorse or regret over it. You really don't hear about it on the news or even on their local media, so in order to see it for yourself, you need to be there in person. And once you are there in person you don't hear anything along the lines of "We were wrong for using slavery, we apologize."

Instead, you hear endless rationalizations such as, "The north isn't being honest with you about what really happened- slavery was on the way out anyway," and, "The north didn't need to infringe on states' rights, geez! Leave us alone," even though the south could have switched to horse-powered machinery at any point as an alternative to slave labor, but insisted against doing so. Industry was well under way in New England 50 years prior to the Civil War. No real excuse for the South not to have gotten on board much sooner, which means that they were using slavery by choice. Which means the South would probably be using slaves to this day if New England and the north hadn't have stopped them.

And to this day, their views are counted as "equal"? Even more outrageous: they claim that their views and culture are misrepresented!!!!!

Oh, and note to people who move to Connecticut and New England: Holding a door for someone is pointless. Open your own door like an adult.
Why should someone apologize for something that occurred 150 years ago and that they had nothing to do with? I never understood why some people still think there needs to be a continual reminder of the past and acknowledgement of what is now viewed as an unacceptable practice. Enough already.

That said we do need to go back to the topic of the original post and not debate this question. Jay

Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
When I have heard it, I've mostly heard it for the southwestern part of the state. Hardly anyone would not consider Hartford or New London or New Haven to be "New England".

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
When I have heard it, I've mostly heard it for the southwestern part of the state. Hardly anyone would not consider Hartford or New London or New Haven to be "New England".
LOL - I don't know about that. Lots of northern New Englanders don't consider the entire state to be "New England".

Oh well, their loss.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
I have a few friends from mid coast Maine who swear up and down that FFC is Not New England. But I think people just love to stereotype places and can't really accept things the way they really are. IMHO some of the smaller towns in FFC are classic New England towns. The larger ones tend to not resemble New England very much but neither do the larger cities and towns in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut