Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,795,160 times

Advertisements

HI All,

I am a Texas boy living in Connecticut, and heating oil tanks and fiberglass patches are all foreign to me. Anyhow, we have a heating oil tank in our basement, and a "whistle" to the outside, that lets the oil delivery people know when our tank is close to full. Well, the whistle has been not working for a few years, and the oil company has been slow-filling our tank. Well, they overfilled the tank a bit today, hardly any leaked out, but it stinks up our whole house, and they are cleaning it up. They overfilled the tank about 4 years ago, and cleaned it up back then too. They have quoted $250 to fix the whistle and make the whistle pipe bigger, which is code. But, I understand it may cost around $1000 -$1900 to replace and install a new tank and new pipes.

I have no idea how old the tank or fiberglass patch is, but the oil guys say it looks in good shape. But, when they fail, the oil can slowly leak out, or gush out. The house was built in 1947.

So my questions are:

1. should I be worried about the fiberglass patch?
2. Should I just get the whistle fixed for $250, or
3. get the whole tank and pipes replaced (including the whistle) for maybe $1000-$1900.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,254,743 times
Something doesnt sound right here.

the "whistles" im thinking of is just a ventilation pipe so pressure doesnt build up when filling. Our whistle pipe is like 1 1/4" dia. and it can handle the oil fill.

our tank has a level reader but its inside and the oil guy cant see it anyway and he never overfills it. This is probably because we check the level and get as close as we can to "full" without going over.

The only thing you can do is keep checking the tank. The patch will not just suddenly start gushing 150 gallons out, oil will start to seep.

I wouldnt mess around with small repairs, either the tank leaks or doesnt, the oil guy watches his fill or doesnt.

with the tank already being repaired, Id just look into a new tank come the spring time. That way you wont have to worry about anything its all taken care of.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 PM

83,291 posts, read 74,544,003 times
I would do 2 things.

Get the whistle fixed
Call DEP to make sure you and your family are safe from any drops or leaks and plus nothing gets absorbed into land or sewers

Connecticut - Oil Spill & Pollution Clean up Contractors Directory

Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,903,024 times
Change the tank. The peace of mind is worth the thousand or so bucks. Put in a 330 gal tank and you'll be all set

Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM

83,291 posts, read 74,544,003 times
Also, I never dealt with the whistles but can't you transfer it in case you need to get another tank? This way its not a total loss . If yes, then try the whistle replacing first. If not then replace the pipes and tanks if needed and within budget.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Why replace a part when the tank is on its way out? Do the whole system. Just my .02

The parts for a whistler/piping would be no more than $50 if you did it yourself.

I know its a big price difference, but in the end your just adding to the cost of a whole new system.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,653 times
I would play it safe and put in a new tank or better yet if you have natural gas I would change the entire heating system to a hydronic system that doesn't boil water to steam but just circulates hot water through radiators. These are very efficient heating systems.
Conventional oil heating systems are archaic and the oil is costly.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 PM

Hydronic is the way to go, the floor elements heat up a house like no other.. But installing that system practically requires a renovation and massive re piping things. A conversion from oil to hydronic I imagine would cost around $20,000, and thats a guess.

Hydronic is the most efficient though. You can maximize your oil fired, by having good quality windows that are insulated, having good door seals, good insulation in walls, adding a cold air return etc.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM

91 posts, read 169,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I would do 2 things.

Get the whistle fixed
Call DEP to make sure you and your family are safe from any drops or leaks and plus nothing gets absorbed into land or sewers

Connecticut - Oil Spill & Pollution Clean up Contractors Directory
Oil poses NO hazard to you or your family in the minute amount that you stated had overflowed. Respectfully disagree with Cambium, but that could potentially be the absolute WORST thing to do calling in the DEP! Nothing like getting your home condemned, pay 30K for a "clean-up" and take out expen$ive insurance policies for future mishaps. There is no way I'd allow anyone from the EPA, DEP or any other like angency into my home. YMMV...
Marc

Old 12-29-2012, 09:32 AM

856 posts, read 2,004,823 times
Have another oil company come in and get a second opinion. Btw are you sure the patch is fiberglass and not asbestos? How old is your furnace? Is it worth converting to gas at this time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut