U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 24,773 times

Advertisements

I'm an AA female who previously lived in CT for several years before moving back to NC for family reasons. I last lived on the Danbury/Ridgefield line (Exit 2off 84) and I absolutely loved it. Having lived and travelled extensively in the US, I can honestly say of southern FF county in general: If you can pay, then you can play, generally with no regard for your race. I'm sure there are exceptions out there but thankfully, I never came across them in southern CT. There ARE some other parts of the state that can be more, uh, 'interesting' but who cares!! Contrary to NC, I can say that I never experienced any racism in southern CT -- frankly to the contrary. People treated me like anyone else -- no more special or different. That's what I like. Because I tend to date interracially, it's important to me as well to be in a racially accepting community. I can say I consistently felt that acceptance in southern CT, and Danbury in particular. CT in general is such a melting pot and NY suburb that it's difficult to know who's which race (my ex was Cuban from Miami and everyone thought he was italian). As a footnote, I am in the process of relocating BACK to the Danbury area! Highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 08:42 PM

409 posts, read 1,590,208 times
Your post was very informative to me. Thank you. Everything you said was relevant to my own situation. I think my husband and I can now stop looking and feel confident that we are doing the right thing is choosing Danbury. We will visit first of course, but this post has been a big help. I rated it positively.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM

2,247 posts, read 5,974,645 times
NCgeechiegal,
It is good to see another person to the area south of exit 2. There has been a lot of new construction in this area that you might not know about depending on when you went to NC. The Sterling woods devolpers built about 120 condos at the end of Larson drive and 80 condos in the land across from the main Boehringer enterance and behind those office buildings. Avalon Bay built a large rental complex just past the condos and Toll Brothers build about 80 houses, each on about 1/8 of an acre, just past the rentals.The Union Carbide site is being devolped into about 3000 condos that start at about $330,000!
I lived about 4 years in southern Pennsylvania and I did not really feel that comfortable as I do here. I can go downtown and get amazing, cheap food from around the world. I have friends that families came here from around the globe (India, Taiwan, Brazi, Mexico, etc) and everyone gets along very well here.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 PM

jdhall,

That's good to know. That is one of the features about New York that I miss here in the midwest. I'm glad to hear that Danbury has a wide selection of food from around the world. I miss that.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:41 PM

19 posts, read 81,692 times
Move to Miami Florida. You will get stared at in FFC. In Miami you can find what ever culture you want. There are very very poor people and very very affluent. If you want to here people yap in Spanish, or a dozen other lanuages you got it! Good luck going about every day business.[Personally that's not my type of place] But you like to rant about that stuff.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:19 AM

ncgeechiegal,
How is the nightlife in Danbury and surroundig towns? How far is it from the beach?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:01 PM

16 posts, read 57,037 times
Default Which part of Danbury?

ncgeechiegal,

I am also looking into relocating to other towns in CT. I have a three year old son and would like to move to a town that is family friendly. My husband works in Southport, CT. You mentioned you have lived in the Danbury/Ridgefield townline. Other than this, is there any other area in Danbury that you would recommend? What areas should I avoid? How would you describe the people there (affluent, blue/white collar, etc)?
Thank you.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 PM

2,247 posts, read 5,974,645 times
I live on the Danbury/Ridgefield line as well as other neighborhoods in town and I have never had a problem in any of them. Clearly, city center is more built up than the other areas in town and generally the futher away from downtown you get, the less dense the area is. As a real estate agent, I can not tell you what areas to avoid or tell you the economic conditions of the area.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:43 PM

150 posts, read 741,028 times
The only town you might think twice about is Darien. It may have changed but it used to be fairly WASPy. All the other towns are color blind. CT is a great state in that regard.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:02 PM

That's good to know. So, where are all the pretty green suburbs in CT? Does Fairfield County (Danbury, Stamford, Greenwich, Ridgefield, Bethel) have any? I prefer suburban to rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or