U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:57 AM

2,102 posts, read 6,937,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Depressed areas? That is where you find some of the highest housing costs. Westport, Darien, Fairfield, Milford, Orange, Branford, Madison, Guilford, Westbrook, East Lyme, Clinton, Stonington...I think most people who know the area would find calling these areas "depressed" laughable.

The only real eye sores along the 95 corridor would be Bridgeport, few parts of New Haven, and parts of New London/Groton.

I must admit I too am not feeling the Danbury love. Sure it has some nice parts, but there is a reason its housing is much cheaper than other towns/cities in the area.
As I read this, I thought that it conveyed a split personality about Connecticut so I re-read it and have the following thoughts:

1) Anyone traveling along the Merritt Parkway would have a totally different take on Fairfield County from someone who traveled I-95. The former would think, "Wow, how rural and well-off, just like I expected." The latter would think, "Insufficient roadways, over-congested, over-built, new malls adjacent to run-down (or shut-down) strip malls, etc. If you don't agree, try it for yourself; and for fun, ride the train or take US Route 1 from New Haven to Stamford--this makes the view from I-95 seem aesthetic. NOTE: I am emphasizing New Haven to Bridgeport here.

2) Take Danbury for what it is: an urbanized area of almost 80,000 people. It will never be fair to compare it to Ridgefield, New Fairfield, Brookfield, or Bethel. Is it a bad area? You would think so listening to Danbury's mayor who called for a round-up of illegal aliens a few months back. Aside from this, when was the last time that Danbury made the TV news other than for weather? Perhaps late 1986/early 1987 when the Danbury Fair Mall opened...or when I-84 went to three lanes in each direction. Absence from the news isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I lived in Danbury in 1989. Back then, there was a great night life: Tuxedo Junction, Tonelli's Too, El Torito's, and City Limits. For alternative lifestyles, there was The Pink Triangle. A year earlier (1988), it made Rand-Mc Nally's Best Places to Live in America at #1.

Danbury is probably viewed more highly by folks born and raised there than by others. I don't know if it would be first choice of buyers from out of the area if they were considering northern Fairfield County unless they were looking for a more urbanized feel and its amenities: shopping, restaurants, state university (two locations), car dealerships galore!, hospital, Stew Leonard's, and a main boulevard that comes to life in December. Understandably, this might be too busy for some.

As for housing prices, it's cheaper compared to most of Fairfield County (save Bridgport). But those of us in the other remaining Big 3 Counties (New Haven and Hartford) are surprised that a city of 80,000 has a median list price of $394,450 according to the local MLS (not Statewide MLS) that services Danbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,077,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Anyone traveling along the Merritt Parkway would have a totally different take on Fairfield County from someone who traveled I-95. The former would think, "Wow, how rural and well-off, just like I expected." The latter would think, "Insufficient roadways, over-congested, over-built, new malls adjacent to run-down (or shut-down) strip malls, etc. If you don't agree, try it for yourself; and for fun, ride the train or take US Route 1 from New Haven to Stamford--this makes the view from I-95 seem aesthetic. NOTE: I am emphasizing New Haven to Bridgeport here.
Good point. I do think it is unfair to judge any area by what you see from a highway. If that were the case no one would dream of living in northern NJ near the Jersey Turnpike, or anywhere near the 95 corridor through NY. However, if you know the areas, you know there is more to it than the view from an antiquated congested highway.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 AM

75 posts, read 81,280 times
Default Danbury

We live in the midwest and recently visited Danbury and surrounding areas, including Ridgefield, Bethel, Newtown and down to New Haven.

Danbury is like any other small town in the middle of the country. It has some businesses and middle class or poorer folks, and those doing a little better financially live away from the business areas. We didn't find it remarkable in terms of scenery - it was not as smooth or new as suburbs of bigger cities - it really has that scrappier small town look. If I had to go by Danbury, I wouldn't think I'd seen anything anyone would consider "Connecticut" and by that I mean New England character.

Now driving out to Ridgefield we saw the big, lovely older homes that are surely the draw for people with money who want to get out of the city life. But Danbury was not in that lexicon and heading out to New Haven we saw unique areas and landscape.

That being said - Danbury was not bad in any way. It's just not unusual. Small town. Family restaurants. The people were nice. But seriously, we could have been in Tonganoxie Kansas or a small town in Ohio.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 PM

409 posts, read 1,588,447 times
Thank you for sharing your experience with the forum. It really does help someone like me who has not had the chance to visit yet and is trying to make a decision. Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM

64 posts, read 322,671 times
Default Danbury

I like it a lot. I just sent a client to a realtor there who spoke Spanish and Portugese. I don't. Just Brooklynese!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 PM

2,237 posts, read 5,957,051 times
Default Danbury is better than most people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcrowsflyeast View Post
Are u kidding me?

Danbury as you see it ---solid middle class and upper middle class???

I hope that people that read this don't get suckered into believing it.

Danbury has a prison and is more poor then rich when it comes to classes

Danbury is a little like stamford.....only not as nice
Danbury does a mix of middle and upper class. You just don't see those communities when you are driving on I-84. They didn't build the highway in the early 1960s through the most desireable part of town. The state bought the land where they could get the land the cheapest.Go a couple of miles in each direction of the highway and the area is more scenic. There are some very wealthy people in Danbury, including the co-founder of Subway and Robin Leach used to have a mansion on Candlewood Lake. Most of the city outside of downtown are very nice. There are several areas my buyers see as very desirable such as Pocono Point, a beach front community, Aunt Hack (larger homes very close to a great golf course), King Street (kind of like Redding/Ridgefield) and Ridgebury (my own neighborhood of updated 1960s raised ranches on an acre each selling between $365,000 and $445,000). Other areas people like are Middle River, Great Plain, Stadley Rough, Wooster Heights, Long Ridge among others.

Danbury does have a prison. It is a minimum women's security prison bordering Candlewood Lake but you can hardly tell its there. If that wasn't there, some developer would have built homes that the young people in the area can't afford.

It is true that there is some subsidized housing in Danbury, mostly due to the fact that other towns in the area have none. I don't think those complexs distract from the quality of life, but gives the area a more diverse atmosphere.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 50,761 times
Danbury will pose no issue for you - I'd estimate nearly 50% of the population is black or latino.

Redding - probably about 2% or less non-white, but if your children are intelligent and well spoken as I am certain they are, they will have no issues.

Bridgeport - might as well live in Harlem as Bridgeport. A filthy crime ridden town. And I don't care if you're from there - look at your crime stats - the murder rate per 100k is among the highest in the country.

Bethel - connects to danbury, would also be a good bet. Probably 20% black or latino population there, also has good schools.

Newtown - probably 2% or less non-white

Hope this helps!

In Connecticut, with the people I know, the issues people have aren't with race so much as language. It is really difficult to place an order in English at any fast-food establishment any longer. If you speak English, as I'm sure you do, your children will have absolutely no issues. There is a definite palpable resentment towards the illegal immigration issue in the Danbury area - probably 10,000 people out of 110,000 in Danbury are undocumented.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:21 AM

556 posts, read 503,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Puppet View Post
Me and my family are moving to Fairfield County, and an issue we have is racism in the schools. Me and my family are African American and Cuban, and would not like our kids to experiance any troubles with their skin color in schools.

We have family in Redding, and they have had no problems in the schools and they say there is some diversity to a certain degree, so that is a possibility. We're looking for a town in that area, but with atleast some diversity as so our kids aren't the "only ones".

Do you have any recomendations? also our price range for houses is $500,000-$950,000.

Why not look into a place where there are more African Americans?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:26 PM

95 posts, read 408,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilABowl View Post
Danbury will pose no issue for you - I'd estimate nearly 50% of the population is black or latino.

Redding - probably about 2% or less non-white, but if your children are intelligent and well spoken as I am certain they are, they will have no issues.

Bridgeport - might as well live in Harlem as Bridgeport. A filthy crime ridden town. And I don't care if you're from there - look at your crime stats - the murder rate per 100k is among the highest in the country.

Bethel - connects to danbury, would also be a good bet. Probably 20% black or latino population there, also has good schools.

Hope this helps!
To be exact:

Danbury -- 17% Latino, 8% black
Redding -- 6% non-white
Bridgeport -- 54% non-white
Bethel -- 10% non-white
Newtown -- 7% non-white

Old 01-28-2007, 02:27 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,937,029 times
Quote:
Not even close:
78,641 total population
58,342 identified themselves as white
5,285 identified themselves as black
5,326 identified themselves as Asian
13,795 identified themselves as Hispanic

Quote:
Close. Just shy of 2% is black; 5% is Asian; and 2% is Hispanic.

Quote:
Closer to 2% is black; 5% is Asian; and just shy of 5% is Hispanic.

Quote:
More like 2.5% is black; 2.33% is Asian; and 3% is Hispanic.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 01-28-2007 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Removed part of quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or