Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from CA to CT. Our son will be a freshman next fall. Academics and athletics are two of our top priorities. Our son is a very athletic and competitive student. He is a "3 sport" athlete. We know all three will be difficult in HS, however he is going to try his Freshman year. In reality he is a baseball first, football second and basketball third athlete. We have considered the Fairfield area however we are open to most areas. Our parents live in Strattford. I would like some insight to the top baseball and athletic programs and please dont forget academics is very important. Thank you... Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Different school districts are strong in different sports...

In Fairfield you will have a nice balance between competitive sports and academics. I wouldn't say there are necessarily TOP high school programs... Programs wax and wane with interest, coaching staff, etc. Westport's Staples High School has had for the last 15 years or so very competitive football and soccer, but not as strong basketball or baseball programs. Trumbull is a baseball town, but not as strong in other sports.

In the end, high school sports are great for kids wherever you are-- Look for a community and school system that meets your other needs and the sports will be there....

Old 12-22-2012, 11:11 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Westport for football.
Trumbull and Monroe for baseball, don't know many other schools.
Only good basketball schools are pretty much schools in the inner cities (Crosby in Waterbury has sent a few guys to D-1 schools Harding in Bridgeport, Wilbur Cross in New Haven are some of the best teams in the state). St. Joes in Trumbull is about the only "non city" school that has a respectible basketball program....and their quite good. Right now I think their #3 or #4 in the state of CT behind Crosby & Wilbur Cross.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:14 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
And also 3 sports in high school isn't very difficult since the seasons don't overlap like they do once you get to college. Will be difficult, and those are 3 phsycally demanding sports, but I have seen it done in high school numerous times.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Westport is probably your best bet. Very good football and decent to good baseball. Most of the towns in FFC are focused on lacrosse in the spring, so baseball takes somewhat of a backseat. Basketball tends to be better in the city high schools.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Do people really choose a town based on sports their kids play?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Do people really choose a town based on sports their kids play?
Unfortunately, yes. There is quite a bit of "recruiting" that goes on for football, even though this is not technically allowed. Kids will grow up on a town and all of the sudden before high school, they move to a town that has a high powered football program.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Unfortunately, yes. There is quite a bit of "recruiting" that goes on for football, even though this is not technically allowed. Kids will grow up on a town and all of the sudden before high school, they move to a town that has a high powered football program.
There is a whole world out there I'm not aware of... Does this happen here in Connecticut?

I have no problem with high schools sports--- I was a two sport varsity athlete myself. However, where I come from academics rule the roost and sports were always a secondary avocation at best. When I lived in Texas I always thought there was an absurd over-emphasis on sports. I guess that's why professional football quarterbacks are from Texas and Supreme Court Justices (save one) are from the Northeast or California...

Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There is a whole world out there I'm not aware of... Does this happen here in Connecticut?

I have no problem with high schools sports--- I was a two sport varsity athlete myself. However, where I come from academics rule the roost and sports were always a secondary avocation at best. When I lived in Texas I always thought there was an absurd over-emphasis on sports. I guess that's why professional football quarterbacks are from Texas and Supreme Court Justices (save one) are from the Northeast or California...
It happens in CT and its somewhat of an open secret (e.g. kids from Waterbury moving to Ansonia who just happen to be outstanding football players).

Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
It happens in CT and its somewhat of an open secret (e.g. kids from Waterbury moving to Ansonia who just happen to be outstanding football players).
While their own brothers still play on the Waterbury team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut