U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM

15,846 posts, read 22,155,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
They should kill more people for heinous crimes. I dont like the way the system works as far as appeals and the long waits but if they were to fix that and put in an express lane I would be all for it.
Then you can expect more innocents to be sentenced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:37 AM

470 posts, read 1,208,566 times
My original opinion on the matter was that it should be brought back and limit the appeals process. If you have it, use it.

Now that it's gone and never coming back I feel as though the criminals whose would have been put to death should be given life in solitary confinement. They are put in a cell with one 15 watt light bulb that never goes out, they have no TV, no radio, no letters, no privileges, and no interaction with another other people except a guard. Their food will be the basic needed to survive and no more. They can be given a bed with a mattress, no sheets, no pillow. They will have their own toilet and sink and be given a singe bar of soap to stay clean if they wish to.

The rule of no cruel and unusual punishment should only extend as far as the limit to which the criminal's victim(s) suffered.

I'm honestly tired of seeing TV specials inside prisons where criminals, deadbeats, and worthless members of society are given things that people on the outside, in some cases could never get. Prison should not be comfortable at all. It is a punishment and we need to make the system show that. Make the last place people would ever want to go.

Last edited by jaydez; 12-28-2012 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: i cant spell :)

Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 AM

274 posts, read 432,881 times
Getting rid of the death penalty is part of an overall effort at showing that Connecticut is soft on crime. First they made the death penalty a useless law and then they got rid of it completely. The police spend so much time filling out paperwork just to keep the bureaucrats happy that crime is raging out of control. Even if we do manage to put a few criminals behind bars, they don't stay there very long. I spoke to one local cop that told me that 80% of the people in this city have a criminal record. We have made this a very hard state to open a business but an easy place to be a criminal. Is there anything else we can do to screw up this state? Just add this to the 1001 reasons why I want to leave CT.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 AM

15,846 posts, read 22,155,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
Getting rid of the death penalty is part of an overall effort at showing that Connecticut is soft on crime. First they made the death penalty a useless law and then they got rid of it completely. The police spend so much time filling out paperwork just to keep the bureaucrats happy that crime is raging out of control. Even if we do manage to put a few criminals behind bars, they don't stay there very long. I spoke to one local cop that told me that 80% of the people in this city have a criminal record. We have made this a very hard state to open a business but an easy place to be a criminal. Is there anything else we can do to screw up this state? Just add this to the 1001 reasons why I want to leave CT.
That's not true in any city in CT. Not even close.

Don't trust a local cop to give accurate statistics regarding criminal activity.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,873,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
Is there anything else we can do to screw up this state?
Yes, you can perpetuate ridiculous lies that happen to correspond to your personal world view...

Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM

30,049 posts, read 34,828,401 times
I did not want to get real deep but personally I do believe there are crimes against Humanity that does deserve the DP. If the shooter had lived, he certainly would have deserved IMO.

I had a very close friend who's 10 year old daughter and her 7 YO playmate friend were raped and brutally murdered. TX executed the guy back about 10 years ago and he deserved to die for these terrible crimes.

Rex Warren Mays #800

Personally, I'm for the DP as Punishment. It is not a deterrent, never was meant to be. JMO

Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 PM

5,556 posts, read 8,249,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I did not want to get real deep but personally I do believe there are crimes against Humanity that does deserve the DP. If the shooter had lived, he certainly would have deserved IMO.

I had a very close friend who's 10 year old daughter and her 7 YO playmate friend were raped and brutally murdered. TX executed the guy back about 10 years ago and he deserved to die for these terrible crimes.

Rex Warren Mays #800

Personally, I'm for the DP as Punishment. It is not a deterrent, never was meant to be. JMO
I completely agree. I think it was a ghastly mistake to eliminate the death penalty.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 AM
sun

683 posts, read 1,940,376 times
I believe that killers are abnormal and mentally ill and if they weren't mentally ill then they wouldn't be killing in the first place.
Plus there have been mistakes made in convictions and juries can have racial biases too.
There was a NYC official who lied under oath and/or made mistakes about interpreting genetic evidence which resulted in convictions.
I'm not a fan of the death penalty.
The death penalty doesn't reverse the crime and it's not turning the other cheek or acting as your brother's keeper.
It's too easy for emotions to result in a death sentence.
And for there to be unfair trials, and poor defense attorneys and judicial rulings.
Once some of the important flaws about applying the death sentence are known then why have it at all.
If killers are capable of finding their moral compass then society should be capable of understanding higher morality too.
Hate the sin but not the sinner.

Last edited by sun; 01-03-2013 at 05:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut