U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,144 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

Here in a few weeks I'll be making a move to New Haven CT to attend graduate school at SCSU. I've been researching the New Haven from the last several months and I have a really good idea as to what life is like there. I just have a few things I need clarification on some things and I'm hoping some of the New Haven folks could help me out.

1. How is the neighborhoods around SCSU, specifically Beaver Hills, Westville, and West Rock? I've found a temporary residence in Beaver Hills and will be walking to SCSU. Being a grad student I will be out late into the evening on some nights. Most of the information I've found indicates these neighborhoods are, for lack of a better word, better than some.

2. What about the public transportation system? How would you rate it?

3. I'm a big walker/bike rider as this is my primary mode of transportation. Can a guy walk from lets say the Westville area to downtown without much incident?

4. A lot of the information I've found about New Haven indicates that it has an issue with crime. I understand that every city has it's problems with crime but it seems New Haven has a bit more. After looking into this a bit more it appears to me that these "statistics" regarding the crime rate make New Haven seem more dangerous that it actually is. In your opinion do you think these stats are accurate or do they grossly exaggerate the actual danger?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 AM

14,722 posts, read 17,944,963 times
Parts of Beaver Hills are not great. Generally as you move away from the campus it can get sketchy. You have to consider it borders the worst parts of the city: Dixwell/Hill/Newhallville. Major crime tends to be concentrated in those areas and Fair Haven, but spillover crime does happen like in any city.

Parts of Westville/West Rock are very nice. Again the only parts that are bad are once you move toward The Hill neighborhood, but even there it isn't bad. Westville is generally one of the more desirable areas.

Walking/biking to downtown is doable. I know a female that does it alone. I wouldn't do it late at night. Whalley Ave gets a but dicey in parts, but in prime hours is well trafficked and fairly safe. My favorite area is probably East Rock, but it's not walkable to SCSU.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM

1,033 posts, read 3,237,351 times
SCSU is a bit off to the side in New Haven. Theres a tiny area closer to Westville where a couple bars exists and they are huge with the southern croud. Its ok but college kids seem to love packing in like sardines and it gets sweaty in there. Its because they do good deals for beers. One place is called Delaneys, the other place is across the street.

With a bike, you could get to the beach in about 30-45 minutes. From SCSU, you could get to downtown in about 20 minutes. East and West rock are both very nice places to do some cycling, I recommend taking a bike ride through New Haven and right to East rock, its a very pleasant ride and theres always joggers, once you get to the top you have a magnificent view of New haven and surrounding areas.

SCSU also offers a free shuttle service for students going downtown, as to prevent drinking and driving. You could easily ride your bike to campus and hop the shuttle.

I dont want to scare you but Beaver Hills is kind of rough and can get scary at night. If you plan on walking from campus at night, I'D HIGHLY advise leaving all your valuables behind and have your running shoes on. A buddy of mine was robbed there on the street for a bag of food and has been chased from a group of guys. Walking down the street from downtown New Haven isnt bad, I would do it. Its safer because the main road is populated and well lit, its just when you turn off the main street and go down a dark side street to get to your place.

The Westville side is better and for the most part quiet, either way theres college students in all the areas you mention. Apartments off of Fountain St. are nice, a few of my friends have had places off that street and it doesnt seem too expensive.

Theres various apartment buildings scattered around the area that are loaded with students too, so there may be SCSU shuttle stops all over.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM

24,587 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Walking from Westville down Whalley to downtown should be fine. It is a major street with a lot of vehicular and pedestrian traffic. New Haven also has like the second highest number of bike to work commuters in the country and one of the highest percentages of public transit users in New England. The buses are decent for a small city. Jay

Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,144 times
Thank you everyone. This information has been very helpful.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM

184 posts, read 234,846 times
I would recommend the Westville area, particularly the areas around or off Fountain Street. It's about a five minute bike ride to SCSU, and there is also a bus that runs to SCSU. Westville is very walkable, with a couple of top-notch places to eat or get coffee. Living in Downtown or East Rock is also fun if you want to have more of a big-city atmosphere, but tends to be more expensive if you want an equivalent amount of space, and would be a bit farther of a bus ride or bike trip to SCSU (15-20 minutes). If you want to be downtown, I might recommend the areas around Howe Street as there are several buses that run from that area directly to the SCSU area. Living right near SCSU is fine but there are fewer services at hand.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM

14,722 posts, read 17,944,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
I would recommend the Westville area, particularly the areas around or off Fountain Street. It's about a five minute bike ride to SCSU, and there is also a bus that runs to SCSU. Westville is very walkable, with a couple of top-notch places to eat or get coffee. Living in Downtown or East Rock is also fun if you want to have more of a big-city atmosphere, but tends to be more expensive if you want an equivalent amount of space, and would be a bit farther of a bus ride or bike trip to SCSU (15-20 minutes). If you want to be downtown, I might recommend the areas around Howe Street as there are several buses that run from that area directly to the SCSU area. Living right near SCSU is fine but there are fewer services at hand.
This sums it up well.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 50,769 times
Hey, welcome to New Haven!

1. Beaver Hills and Westville are pretty alright. Beaver Hills is a very interesting neighborhood - parts of it are very calm and nice, and parts of it are a little more dense and active. It's not a necessarily dangerous neighborhood if you keep a smart mind. Just be street smart, really, and you'll be fine. Westville is pretty safe. In all of the thousands of times that I have walked through, I've never had one bad incident. West Rock.. eh. I wouldn't go there for a stroll.

2. CTTransit is alright - it gets you where you want to go. Most of the time it's on schedule, but I've had more than enough encounters where I've waited over an hour for a bus that's supposed to come every ten minutes.

3. There are a lot of cyclists here in New Haven - you'll be joining the crowd. Check out Elm City Cycling for some tips. Westville to Downtown is definitely a walk. Sticking to Whalley Avenue is definitely safe, and you shouldn't have any problems. Like I said before, just be street smart. If you're going to bike from Westville to Downtown, stick to Edgewood Avenue. Google Maps is actually pretty good at giving some good cycling directions.

4. The crime here is definitely over exaggerated. The two bad neighborhoods from my experience are Newhallville and the Hill. I try to stay away. Besides that, we have as much crime as any city, really. It's pretty easy to stay out of. I'd never walk late at night alone, bring a friend or two and you'll be fine.

Good luck with your studies.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM

64 posts, read 49,612 times
I would definitely recommend the Westville area for your situation.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM

93 posts, read 113,466 times
New Haven's crime reputation is definitely exagerrated- you are also completely fine walking from Westville down Whalley Ave to Downtown during the day. At night you will also be ok, but I agree with other posts to definitely be street smart, certain side streets are not lit and not for night time.

Also, you've probably figured out, downtown is great, and there are other really good neighborhoods. Near SCSU/Westville, you also can enjoy Edgewood Park.
The downtown stretch of the Farmington Canal Linear Park is supposed to be completed soon, and they will be buildling a Boathouse on New Haven Harbor for boat rentals- since you like biking.

Also, for several years I lived in Beaver Hills which was fine- just more sketchy down toward Sherman Ave. I lived on Ella Grasso Boulevard between Whalley Av and Goffe St.
You'll like New Haven.
Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or