U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM

185 posts, read 383,371 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are former lifelong CT residents currently living out of state and trying to plan our return home. We are weighing our options as far as where we are going in relation to our careers. I hold a license in my profession with the State of CT so we want to remain in CT so I can continue in my trade. My wife is looking at several options with her current employer, one of which, and the best option, would be a transfer to a Northampton MA facility. We have researched several CT/MA border towns, Granby, Suffield, Somers, Enfield, etc. All of which appear to be an OK commute (35-40 miles). Just curious to see if anyone out there has made this commute on a regular basis. I know Springfield can be a bit of a nightmare during rush hours. She will be working 2nd shift so would be traveling through there on off hours. We are thinking it might not be so bad? Not sure, but would like some input from someone who's done it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM

14,714 posts, read 17,933,283 times
Off hours shouldn't be bad. Even rush hour in Springfield is a cinch compared to some areas of CT.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,907,480 times
I travel from Granby to New Hampshire on a regular basis. It's about 35 to 45 mins to North Hampton depending where you live in Granby. It takes me 35 mins from my house through Westfield/Mass Pike to 91 in Holyoke. North Hampton is another 10 mins. It is about the same if you stay on Route 10.

The only tie up can be in Westfield and that has not been an issue since they finished the bridge project.

If you live in Suffield/Enfield in the right place you could probably make the trip in 30 mins.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM

185 posts, read 383,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I travel from Granby to New Hampshire on a regular basis. It's about 35 to 45 mins to North Hampton depending where you live in Granby. It takes me 35 mins from my house through Westfield/Mass Pike to 91 in Holyoke. North Hampton is another 10 mins. It is about the same if you stay on Route 10.

The only tie up can be in Westfield and that has not been an issue since they finished the bridge project.

If you live in Suffield/Enfield in the right place you could probably make the trip in 30 mins.
Kind of what I thought. We are originally from south central CT and never really traveled 91 north through Mass except for the occasional day trip. Springfield never seemed to bad except for a few times I had been stuck in rush hour traffic on my way up to New Hampshire during hunting season. According to Google, it's 27 miles from the facility in Northampton to CT/MA border on 91. We would try to stay as close to the highway and border as we could. A few places we found in CT like Granby and Somers show a short distance but seems like a lot of back road driving initially before you hit Mass Pike then eventually follow that to 91 north. She has a 40 mile commute now and doesn't mind it too much except for the fact it is more back roads than highway. Would rather have the other way around.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 AM

841 posts, read 1,651,485 times
A woman I work with commutes from noho to Hartford each day. Sometimes she's late but she says the commute is long more than anything. Just like any commute one accident can spoil the bunch. There are a decent amount of parallel routes if you want to try to get around it. The Springfield aerial portions have been reworked and are slightly wider than they used to be.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,907,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Kind of what I thought. We are originally from south central CT and never really traveled 91 north through Mass except for the occasional day trip. Springfield never seemed to bad except for a few times I had been stuck in rush hour traffic on my way up to New Hampshire during hunting season. According to Google, it's 27 miles from the facility in Northampton to CT/MA border on 91. We would try to stay as close to the highway and border as we could. A few places we found in CT like Granby and Somers show a short distance but seems like a lot of back road driving initially before you hit Mass Pike then eventually follow that to 91 north. She has a 40 mile commute now and doesn't mind it too much except for the fact it is more back roads than highway. Would rather have the other way around.
The downside of Granby is that there is no easy way to get to 91. Even if you are on the Suffield border those backroads are going to take you at least 20 mins to get to 91 whether it be through Enfield, Agawam, or West Springfield. I've tried every way possible route living near the mass border but the fastest way to 91N for me has always been right through the center of Westfield to the Mass Pike. I'm on 91N in 35 mins.

Granby has benefits for privacy and living in a quiet community. However, another consideration when deciding whether to live in an area like Granby is the time that you will spend in your car other than commuting to take care of personal business. Grocery shopping and some doctors appointments can take place in town but towns like Suffield and Enfield have the added benefit of access to a wider availability of everyday conveniences. A trip to Home Depot, Walmart, or Target needs to be planned from northern Granby as it is a minimum of 30 to 35 mins to get there. My wife and I average 24,000 miles a year on each of our cars between work and household/school trips.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:47 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
The OP does not give us any information on budget, the type of town they want or if they would be buying or renting. That information could help us help them to find a good town.

I would consider living in one of the border towns in Massachusetts like Longmeadow or Agawam. That way you could get to Connecticut easily and your wife would have a slightly easier commute. Even Enfield might work if you are on a budget. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or