Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
A Good study looks at Transportation , alot of New England towns and cities are putting in bike lanes and paths along busy roads and connecting feeder streets or linking to the towns main transit center. As for Amtrak I was pointing out the spelling error "Amtrack"... The Plan does not have enough infill , ive seen more infill from other town plans like Scarsdale , Tarrytown , Metuchen , South Amboy.... As long as its 2 stories it doesn't seem to matter.
No, a good study covers the topic it is intended to cover and recommends realistic buildable concepts. This study appears to do that. This is not a transportation study or a bike lane study. A transportation study needs to be comprehensive and cover a much larger area. Same for a bike lane study. It is stupid to proposed bike lanes in one small area that do not connect to anything. And as far as infill, this is not New York or New Jersey and honestly when you fill in every little space with development, it definitely changes the character of the area. no longer do you feel you are in a small New England town but rather you feel you are in an overdeveloped New York City suburb. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Yes, there is really not much infill for this plan. Most of the proposed development exists on already developed land, it just makes better use of it. Anything else would be a mistake IMO (destroying the beauty/character of the area) as there's tons of buildings and lots that already exist that can be better utilized/zoned/etc.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,166,132 times
Nexis: Flawed study due to a lack of bike lanes? Bike lanes are a total joke. Let's jam up traffic on behalf of a very tiny constituency. Our climate precludes use for ~5 months per year. Milford is predominately families; how likely will a family of four get downtown by bike? Total waste of tax dollar money.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Nexis: Flawed study due to a lack of bike lanes? Bike lanes are a total joke. Let's jam up traffic on behalf of a very tiny constituency. Our climate precludes use for ~5 months per year. Milford is predominately families; how likely will a family of four get downtown by bike? Total waste of tax dollar money.
So is Scarsdale and most of the other towns that signed onto the bike lanes list , all the Jersey Shore towns are family towns. These bike lanes are well used in the warmer months or 8-9monthes a year. About 1.4 Million bike to Work or School in the Northeastern US and that's growing along with people walking to work.... Its not a waste of tax dollars all it is some paint or roads have extra capacity see that one lane turn into a bike lane along with the sidewalk being widened... My Problem is there is very little infill being proposed....more so then the Bike lanes. Transportation should always be addressed when coming up with a master plan.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM

I don't think 1.4 million are biking to work today in the Northeast. Call me a skeptic. Also what are you talking about in Scarsdale? There is a trail along the Bronx River Parkway, but that is not near the downtown or shopping districts? It is not, nor cannot be used by commuters.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I don't think 1.4 million are biking to work today in the Northeast. Call me a skeptic. Also what are you talking about in Scarsdale? There is a trail along the Bronx River Parkway, but that is not near the downtown or shopping districts? It is not, nor cannot be used by commuters.
Its mainly in NYC , Boston , Philly , and DC...but its starting to take hold in the Suburbs.... Scarsdale has a plan for bike lanes and has already added bike parking around the town which I counted close to 500 bikes that day. As for Infill they also do a great job with that... The Trail serves as a North-South Bikeway and from Scarsdale to Yonkers its Heavily used....there is a gap between Scarsdale and Hartsdale once thats completed Id expected usage to double... The trail ends in the Downtown and connects all the Downtowns of the Bronx River Valley....

Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its mainly in NYC , Boston , Philly , and DC...but its starting to take hold in the Suburbs....
Not from what I can see. DW's company in lower Fairfield County has 600 people, she said one person bikes in.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Just another urbanist pipe dream.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not from what I can see. DW's company in lower Fairfield County has 600 people, she said one person bikes in.
Well CT doesn't have the Infrastructure ...but the places that do have the lanes , parking , etc have decent ridership. Norwalk will be the first CT city to have city wide lanes , and pedestrian improvements once those are done later this decade we should see increased usage....Stamford also has plans and New Haven and several smaller towns like Greenwich. Its about making the suburbs livable for people without cars , not everybody wants to live in a city....nor should they be forced to and people shouldn't be forced to drive everywhere given the option of biking , taking transit or walking they seem to drive less....

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We have 120 at the office in lower FFC, and had 1 biker. He lived down the street. He went to another company and now drives to the train so we're at 0 again. We've had a couple people commute by train from NYC, mostly contractors.

I'm all for less cars on the road, but CT is SO car-centric (like most of the country).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut