U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM

327 posts, read 973,054 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about Florida a lot lately only to buy an additional home where I can stay there 8months to avoid winters up here and come back to Milford for the 4 months of the summer. Work for me does not matter as I am a telecommuter in IT industry. Only thing keeping me in CT is kid's school and family. But the lure of no income tax and car tax pushes me over the edge every year. Also makes it tough as I am seeing more florida plates around here more often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,637,028 times
Be wary of this whole "the south is cheap" mantra....especially in NC. NC actually has a higher average tax burden than Massachusetts if you can believe it. Lots of hidden costs down south that people don't realize until they've lived there for a while. NC taxes food, cars (property tax on cars that you pay every year) generally has higher homeowners insurance rates (especially closer to the ocean like you want to be),and virtually every neighborhood...and EVERY new neighborhood (you said the abundance of new construction was appealing to you) have HOA fees. Those can be in the $1k-$2k+ a year range in many of the large new developments (there goes that savings in property taxes!). On top of that, the reason those property taxes are lower is because the schools are county based (with the sole exception of Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools....but that area is way out of your price-range) which generally is a massive headache that can and often does lead to your kids going to school further from home and getting reassigned to new schools every few years in many cases.

Sounds like you have a good life in CT and are financially secure there. If your move south is only going to be for milder winter weather (just remember, that comes paired with a pretty miserable summer) and to have a bigger, newer house....your reservations in making the big move might be well founded.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 AM

384 posts, read 488,680 times
Left the Northeast 12 years ago. The south and west are definitely cheaper to live in. Think heating cooling costs, accelerated maint. on buildings and vehicles, taxes on everything. And having sun 300 days a year is glorious. We'll never look back or go back.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,418,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Moved south 5 years ago...hated it. Moved back. Its definitely cheaper down there but....
Where did you move from, and where did you move to? Why did you hate it? Did you move for retirement, or are you still working? Do you have children? Were schools the problem? Or, was there something else that made living in the south worse.

I don't think any place is ideal all year around. Some places are better than others. Every place seems to have something wrong with it. In Minnesota, the winters are the problem. The summers are too short can half the summers are too hot and humid to do anything outside here.

Dave

Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM

261 posts, read 330,367 times
I left the northeast 12 years ago to move to GA and would love to move back to the northeast. Although cost of living in GA might be less, you definitely get what you pay for. My main issue with this area is the culture (or lack there of) and the lack of progressiveness.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM

119 posts, read 125,882 times
I agree 100% with I'minformed2. I live in NC. Moved here in 98 and it was nice for all of 5-6 months, then it went all down hill. It's a trap. I was able to make $8-9 an hour doing office work in CT (back then), I got a job in Asheville, NC and was payed $7 an hour. As a server you are paid $3.15 an hour, plus tips, but at some places you have to split your tips. I worked at Cracker Barrel for $3.15 and only pulled in about $100 a week in tips. The mininum wage here is $7.35. Yes we pay about 5 or 6% food tax on all food.

The coast is cheaper to live then the mountains and actually Asheville is the most expensive place to live in NC. My boyfriend works 2 jobs, plus my son working 1 and my child support and we still struggle to make it here. CT is cheaper to live then it is here. As for the schools, hahahaha. They are not as good. My oldest son was born in CT and went to daycare up there, when we moved here he has way more advanced then the kids here. All through out his schooling he would tell me how stupid the kids are here. The schools abuse the programs they have putting kids in them when they don't need it, just so they can get the funding for them. I have found the people to be very judgemental.

Sorry, but I really have nothing nice at all to say about NC (at least where I live). I lived in Camden in SC which was about 1 1/2 hours away from Charleston. I found the same thing there as well, except the schools are worse. NC was rated 24 and SC in the 40's out 50 for schooling. CT was 3rd. Granted this was back in 2008, but I can assure you that not much has changed with the schools here. I can tell you also that there is not much here in Asheville to do, other then hiking, oh and visit the Biltmore ($54 a ticket).

I am wanting to move back to CT. It's hard to do when you hardly make enough money to save. NC is great to visit, but that is all I suggest doing. Cost of living here is not cheaper as many would think.

This is all just my opinion and how it has been for me. I have talked to a lot of other people (who moved here and even born and raised here) and they all feel the same as me.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM

9,441 posts, read 8,537,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Where did you move from, and where did you move to? Why did you hate it? Did you move for retirement, or are you still working? Do you have children? Were schools the problem? Or, was there something else that made living in the south worse.

I don't think any place is ideal all year around. Some places are better than others. Every place seems to have something wrong with it. In Minnesota, the winters are the problem. The summers are too short can half the summers are too hot and humid to do anything outside here.

Dave
Moved from Danbury to Charlotte. Hated the weather. Everyone said yo'd get used to the heat..they were wrong. Have one kid and schools are inferior down there to CT for sure. He would have gone to private school down there to get the same education. (bye bye tax and house savings). Moving also displaces you from family and friends and that is missed usually by anyone relocating. Weather here in the northeast is perfect. You get the 4 full seasons, can have weather extemes if you enjoy the variety but nothing stays around too long in a usual year.

I do admit I miss the cheaper taxes and housing though.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,194,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
I've been thinking about Florida a lot lately only to buy an additional home where I can stay there 8months to avoid winters up here and come back to Milford for the 4 months of the summer. Work for me does not matter as I am a telecommuter in IT industry. Only thing keeping me in CT is kid's school and family. But the lure of no income tax and car tax pushes me over the edge every year. Also makes it tough as I am seeing more florida plates around here more often
Yes! This is exactly what we'd like to do. I love the winter Florida weather, but love summer-fall in CT. Unfortunately my career keeps me up here full time, but we are looking for a place on the west coast.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:19 PM

24,897 posts, read 40,522,620 times
I also agree that you really need to lok at the overall costs of a move. In addition to possibly getting a lower slaary, keep in mind that there will likely be travel costs involved every year to visit family and for major family events (weddings, funerals, siginificant family get toethers). That could easily add to your annual costs and eat up any money you save on housing.

You might consider moving to a lower cost part of Connecticut instead. Have you looked for a job in other parts of the state? Jay

Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,637,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I also agree that you really need to lok at the overall costs of a move. In addition to possibly getting a lower slaary, keep in mind that there will likely be travel costs involved every year to visit family and for major family events (weddings, funerals, siginificant family get toethers). That could easily add to your annual costs and eat up any money you save on housing.

You might consider moving to a lower cost part of Connecticut instead. Have you looked for a job in other parts of the state? Jay

YES!!!! Can't believe I forgot that part! If you are close with extended family and wish to come back to visit them (don't kid yourself thinking they will all come down to visit you; especially not all at once) not only does that eat up all of your vacation funds but it also eats up all of your vacation time! When we lived down south we'd come back north to visit family at least twice a year. Usually once during the summer and once during the holidays (either Thanksgiving or Christmas). Between the wife and I and the kids having to work around time off work/school...even if we had a bunch of money left over for actual VACATIONS to more exotic locations (which we didn't, even as a 6 figure income household); we'd have no time for them. Now that we're back...family functions are a regular thing for us with no extra cost OR time off from work and our vacation time and funds are enough for us to take a nice trip to a sunny and warm vacation spot in February for a nice break from winter.

Again...a lot of factors to consider. And really I think that is a big part of the reason why southern migration from the northeast has slowed considerably in the last few years. Obviously the recession is the biggest factor but also I think the "southern craze" that existed so strongly in the first half of the 2000s has simmered down a bit and a lot of people got a little more of a reality check. It's not really the " no-brainer cure all move" that so many people thought it was several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or