U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM

9,424 posts, read 8,499,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine7910 View Post
I don't think that first chart is quite right. Asheville's temps were in the mid-high 90's this summer and last. We have no a/c in the house we live in and had to buy 2 before this last summer because 2011's was so hot and we were sweating our butts off. I had both a/c's on high ALL summer long and only took them down in Oct.

Humidity was high making it feel like temps were in the 100's.

I do have to say when I was back in CT about 2007, I could not believe how hot it was. We were staying in Farmington and at the time I was living in SC near Columbia and it over 100-115 there. I was very shocked at the heat in CT.
Heh...2007 the year of the eastern heat wave...if you thought it was hot in CT you should have been in the Carolinas,.... it was hell for a month straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM

15,813 posts, read 22,112,861 times
Where's Cambium when you need him?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,520,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Where's Cambium when you need him?
Cambium's data is outstanding. Must be a lot of work to gather.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM

637 posts, read 768,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
You can play alllll the numbers games you like. Wish I knew of someone in TN making 75k - fantastic comparison. NOT. I know of a person who moved there to a director's position in town government which usually pays more than state - he may have broken 40k just last year.

And I didn't quote TN food tax, slick. There is income tax here, some of the highest in the southeast. Food tax in NC ranges from 1-4%, I have no clue what it is in TN nor do I care.

The point of the post is you can take all you want in money - there are things that can't be made up in "savings" by moving here: i.e. hot-azz weather, leaving family, expense to visit family (which no one thinks of!) as mentioned in an earlier post, missing local foods or traditions or any type of lifestyle accoutrements.

I'd write out a check tomorrow now that I have been on both sides of the fence, in CT and NC.
You nailed it. Let's not forget the cost of transportation in the South. Every chore requires a trip in the car...most times, long trips. Either it's far away or you're suck in traffic.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM

PS. Average annual humidity Charlotte vs Bridgeport

67 vs. 70

Average Humidity Levels for North Carolina - Current Results

Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
This is definitely not accurate.

City Climate Comparisons
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03
Charlotte not too hot? oh no..i can't agree with that. Summer is a fry an egg on the sidewalk heatfest...as is the rest of the south.

The averages in some cities in the South are less than the in the North. This is in response to someone who made a blanket statement about The South.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,302,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
You nailed it. Let's not forget the cost of transportation in the South. Every chore requires a trip in the car...most times, long trips. Either it's far away or you're suck in traffic.
Yup. Generally sorry excuses for "public transportation" here.

I am in Texas, and sure, you can get a huge house here. You're gonna need a huge one because that's where you will be "hibernating" for several months out of the year when it is miserably hot. What the four season places call "summer" goes on for as long as six months here! So there is nothing to do BUT stay home inside. I often question the "average temps" data too, when I see it. It is miserable here for months on end, and I am a Texas native and no, I have never "gotten used to it".

Personally *I* might consider a move to NC or TN but that would be in hopes of having a real winter and prettier scenery, and, well, I am a southerner at heart so it would fit.... but I would love to get out of Texas, period, and one of these days I will!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM

119 posts, read 125,256 times
jp03~I was living in SC in 07 and visited my ex's family in NC. I was only in CT for a week on vacation.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Yup. Generally sorry excuses for "public transportation" here.

I am in Texas, and sure, you can get a huge house here. You're gonna need a huge one because that's where you will be "hibernating" for several months out of the year when it is miserably hot. What the four season places call "summer" goes on for as long as six months here! So there is nothing to do BUT stay home inside. I often question the "average temps" data too, when I see it. It is miserable here for months on end, and I am a Texas native and no, I have never "gotten used to it".

Personally *I* might consider a move to NC or TN but that would be in hopes of having a real winter and prettier scenery, and, well, I am a southerner at heart so it would fit.... but I would love to get out of Texas, period, and one of these days I will!
Indeed -- North Carolina is, in my opinion, the prettiest, most diverse, most interesting of the states from the old Confederacy (Virginia is close but lacks the coastal diversity of NC) -- BUT, being in the South for 1/2 of my life ... as I get older, I long for the "familiar" of "home" in New England. We travel back at least 2 times a year for several weeks, but it's not the same. My partner is a native of the South so moving back may prove to be a challenge for us.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM

9,424 posts, read 8,499,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03
Charlotte not too hot? oh no..i can't agree with that. Summer is a fry an egg on the sidewalk heatfest...as is the rest of the south.

The averages in some cities in the South are less than the in the North. This is in response to someone who made a blanket statement about The South.
But you picked three cities in the mountains.....! Of course they won't be as hot as elevation trumps latitude. Any "normal" altitude city in the south is hot. Sure Bridgeport and Charlotte have comparable humidities in dead summer. Charlotte's summer just lasts alot longer and the ave. temp is hotter. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or