Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

This happened in Winnepeg Canada too...At a fast food place, it went on for 3 hours. It is a wonderful thing to do. God bless the kindnesses of people. There truly are so many wonderful people in our World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
This is super, and I'd like to offer a suggestion for those who can afford this.

On 1/14, the one month anniversary, buy a $26 gift card and tell the cashier to use it to pay it forward at your favorite breakfast spot. I am going to do it at mine, which is Starbucks. Most chains can do a card for any even dollar amount you choose.

While any random act is superb, doing it for that amount if possible will leave no doubt regarding the motivation.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM

442 posts, read 455,489 times
On Friday, Dec. 28th, after the big storm, I was driving to pick up pizzas for the family. Up here, the temperature dropped to about 28 degrees (after having been above freezing). The roads were very slick. I took a short cut and nearly slammed in to a car that was stuck in the middle of the road on a very steep bend.

Anyway, I stopped my truck and asked the driver if I could help. The window came down and I saw a very nervous woman with two young girls in the back seat. I took off my hat, told her I would park my truck down the road and walk back up. I introduced myself, told her where I lived and that I also have to small kids and that I would do my best to get her car unstuck and turned around. I managed to do this and she drove off.

Today, I went out to get the mail and saw that I got a card and I didn't recognize the sender. I opened it and had a nice little thank you note from the woman I had helped and a $25 gift certificate to a local pizzeria.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
On Saturday, I decided to wake up early and go grocery shopping. I snuck out before anyone else was awake and went to Big Y. I shopped for about an hour and went to the check-out with a cart full of groceries. They were all bagged and I was ready to pay the $101 bill when I realized I forgot my wallet at home. I asked if they could put the groceries in the freezer while I ran home to get my wallet, and I would only be about 15 minutes. The woman behind me, who had only a loaf of bread and a bottle of juice, said she would pay. I kept saying "no, no, no, but thank you". She finally insisted and said if I wanted to pay her back, she would give me her address. I typed the address in my iphone notebook, thanked her again and rushed home to get my checkbook. I wrote out a check for $125 (a little extra for her kindness) and went to type her address into my GPS. Guess what? It didn't exist. I searched the spelling a thousand times and tried "Rd, Cir, St, Ave, Blvd"...nothing. I went back to Big Y and asked the cashier if they could somehow look up her address for me through her Big Y card, and the cashier said she gave a fictional address on purpose since I kept insisting she not pay for me. I now feel guilty for being a dope, but people are amazing. I'm going to write a letter to the newspaper this week and ask that they publish it on Sunday. I hope she reads it. In the letter, I plan on telling her how I donated the $101 to the Sandy Hook fund.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
On Saturday, I decided to wake up early and go grocery shopping. I snuck out before anyone else was awake and went to Big Y. I shopped for about an hour and went to the check-out with a cart full of groceries. They were all bagged and I was ready to pay the $101 bill when I realized I forgot my wallet at home. I asked if they could put the groceries in the freezer while I ran home to get my wallet, and I would only be about 15 minutes. The woman behind me, who had only a loaf of bread and a bottle of juice, said she would pay. I kept saying "no, no, no, but thank you". She finally insisted and said if I wanted to pay her back, she would give me her address. I typed the address in my iphone notebook, thanked her again and rushed home to get my checkbook. I wrote out a check for $125 (a little extra for her kindness) and went to type her address into my GPS. Guess what? It didn't exist. I searched the spelling a thousand times and tried "Rd, Cir, St, Ave, Blvd"...nothing. I went back to Big Y and asked the cashier if they could somehow look up her address for me through her Big Y card, and the cashier said she gave a fictional address on purpose since I kept insisting she not pay for me. I now feel guilty for being a dope, but people are amazing. I'm going to write a letter to the newspaper this week and ask that they publish it on Sunday. I hope she reads it. In the letter, I plan on telling her how I donated the $101 to the Sandy Hook fund.
Holy cow, what a great story. Thanks for sharing. Jay

Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:

Incredible.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM

48 posts, read 168,074 times
Quote:

Wow what an amazing story!! I have renewed faith in humanity. I miss my CT peeps!!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM

18 posts, read 34,270 times
One morning last week the temperature was in the single digits... My DH works outside cutting trees. An old man pulled up to their work site and gave him and his crew all hand and foot warmers- the kind that you see at gas stations that stay hot for 12 hours or whatever. I thought that was a nice gesture.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans331 View Post
One morning last week the temperature was in the single digits... My DH works outside cutting trees. An old man pulled up to their work site and gave him and his crew all hand and foot warmers- the kind that you see at gas stations that stay hot for 12 hours or whatever. I thought that was a nice gesture.
That's really awesome. And I'm sure they appreciated it a lot.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Great stories!

Last edited by KH02; 01-07-2013 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut