U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM

367 posts, read 409,621 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I remembered another critical question. Are there good ISPs in Stamford?

In NYC right now, I have an HDTV Leaf Antenna and I got all the basic channels in great clarity. I ditched Time Warner's cable TV service as I hardly watched any of the channels. With Netflix and Hulu, it's doable.

I am paying $60/month for Turbo Internet speed with TW. (with cable TV, the bill would be around $120) I have been told that is expensive. also, I thought that I would have the abilty to watch ESPN on my XBOX through an app, but of course TW is able to block it as they want you to pay for cable service.

All of the BCS college football games were on ESPN even though ABC usually broadcasts the Rose Bowl. I saw a limited amount of coverage. I was disappointed, but the National Championship is not on ESPN.

My question is: Are there affordable ISPs that don't block me from watching ESPN on my XBOX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:30 PM

24,612 posts, read 40,176,096 times
Really??? This is a critcal question for determining where to live? Jay

Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 PM

I don't want to have to pay a ton of money for cable service and I want to make sure that there are companies that won't block services. There is a list of providers online, but unfortunately TW is on the list and they block it so the list is not trustworthy. I was wondering if someone out there was using it.

RCN in Queens, NY provides service and doesn't block watchespn. Is RCN available in Stamford?

You don't believe cost of services is critical, Jay?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM

24,612 posts, read 40,176,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
I don't want to have to pay a ton of money for cable service and I want to make sure that there are companies that won't block services. There is a list of providers online, but unfortunately TW is on the list and they block it so the list is not trustworthy. I was wondering if someone out there was using it.

RCN in Queens, NY provides service and doesn't block watchespn. Is RCN available in Stamford?

You don't believe cost of services is critical, Jay?
In the grand scheme of things like where to live, no. Not for a minor service expense like cable TV. If you were talking hundreds of dollars, maybe. But cable service is not that expensive while quality of life where I live is. JMHO, Jay

Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM

452 posts, read 1,274,700 times
ISPs in Stamford would be Cablevision and ATT Uverse IIRC. I haveCablevision's OPtimum Boost and it is about $60 month before multi service discounts.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 4,096 times
To have access to WatchEspn, you will need a username and password from a tv provider, not just an ISP.

ESPN controls (blocks) mobile, roku, and xbox access, not TW or CV.

And I have not had any luck with a digital antenna... Stamford just out of range for NY and Hartford.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lougordon View Post
To have access to WatchEspn, you will need a username and password from a tv provider, not just an ISP.

ESPN controls (blocks) mobile, roku, and xbox access, not TW or CV.

And I have not had any luck with a digital antenna... Stamford just out of range for NY and Hartford.
No, a friend of mine in Queens said he got it and all he has in Internet through RCN.

You don't need a username and password from a TV provider. Have you used it?
There is the TV station in Stamford where Jerry Springer is taped. I thought I could bounce off their signal.

It wouldn't make any sense if I got cable when I can just watch ESPN through TW's service. There would be no point in WatchESPN if you needed cable service.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM

14,730 posts, read 17,965,128 times
Guys, please stay on topic without resorting to personal insults. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut