U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,461,275 times

Advertisements

So, since moving from NY in 2004, been living in Glastonbury. We are tired of the townhouse life, done significant improvements to where we live now, and am looking to sell and get a house, realizing a house in Glastonbury with what we want is significantly less $ right over the border in East Hartford. Wouldn't mind moving out of state, but just started a new job about 6 months ago and has potential.

We have no children, so are not worried about the school district.

We have become accustomed to the safety of Glastonbury, and except for a recent car break in in our complex, have had no instances of crime. Area we are looking is right around Oak Street and Hill Street, just about 2 miles from our present home. Want to still shop in Glastonbury (whole foods, Somerset Square, farm stands, restaurants, etc) but don't want the Glastonbury mortgage.

From what we have seen from driving around, this neighborhood looks very very nice, and even though we live less than 2 miles away really besides driving to Buckland Hills, never had a need to go into this neighborhood. There are several houses there that look well kept and the same house in Glastonbury would be over $100k more easy.

looking for thoughts on this neighborhood, I know East Hartford gets a bad rap, maybe up north of 84 around burnside looks shady, and up around Silver lane not so hot either, but from what I've seen driving through recently looking at houses where we want to buy looks very decent indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 AM

24,775 posts, read 40,394,039 times
There is an invisible line between that part of East Hartford and Glastonbury and I live very close to it on the Glastonbury side. I am in that neighborhood a lot and it is very nice. Little difference on some of the streets than Glastonbury. I would certainly consider it. We know people that moved there and have had no problems except that they could no longer send their kids to Glastonbury schools (for some dump reason they did not know that, really).

Like anywhere you move though I would look closely at the homes on the street. I have noticed that mixed in with a lot of nice homes are one or two problem ones. This is true in any town. I just seemed to have noticed it in my travels through East Hartford more than in Glastonbury (it may be hidden better in Glastonbury). And be prepared for having neighbors that are blue collar. Nothing wrong with that (most of my family is blue collar) but don't expect to find a lot of white collar professionals in the area.

Finally try and stay as far south and east as possible for the better neighborhoods. There are some public housing projects nearer to Pratt so try to avoid that area. Jay

Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 AM

Thanks Jay, house we saw for sale was on Whitehall, just off Hill Street, approximately 500 feet west of Oak st so definitely on the East side of East Hartford. I wouldn't consider anything north or west of that as it seems to get exponentially worse the further north you go. We are also considering S windsor, parts of Manchester by the golf course, and even rocky hill but would love being so close to Glastonbury. I just didn't see that much of a difference from there and here right now, since I live close to the area right off Hebron Ave. We could care less about the schools since we have no kids, just want relative safety.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM

24,775 posts, read 40,394,039 times
That section of East Hartford should be fine. You could go further north (all the way to I-84) as long as you stay east of Forbes (more or less). Good luck with your search. I will say that I have been helping a coworker look at homes in the area. He is looking for a smaller ranch. Glastonbury does offer homes with more character than say Rocky Hill or South Windsor (two towns he is also considering). The homes in those towns tend to be more tract home like while the ones we have seen in Glastonbury offer more detail and interest. Still these homes usually need some work but if you are willing to make the investment then it could be worth it.

Just one more thing, remember you can change just about anything in a house you buy except the location. If you want to be in or near Glastonbury then look in or near Glastonbury. Good luck, Jay

Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM

3,257 posts, read 4,930,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Thanks Jay, house we saw for sale was on Whitehall, just off Hill Street, approximately 500 feet west of Oak st so definitely on the East side of East Hartford. I wouldn't consider anything north or west of that as it seems to get exponentially worse the further north you go. We are also considering S windsor, parts of Manchester by the golf course, and even rocky hill but would love being so close to Glastonbury. I just didn't see that much of a difference from there and here right now, since I live close to the area right off Hebron Ave. We could care less about the schools since we have no kids, just want relative safety.
I grew up in East Hartford. I have relatives that live near the Glastonbury border. Country Lane, Appletree and the streets in that vicinity are very quiet and peaceful. You can find a very nice home for around $200k. Woodmont is one street over from Longhill in Glastonbury. Lacava built homes in both developments and you often can find the same floor plan on the East Hartford street for at least $50k less.

As Jay indicated, the schools in EH discourage a lot of people from living in EH. If you don't have kids or plan to send them to private schools it isn't a big issue for you but it may be for the future buyers when you go to sell. However, if you are able to buy a house for significantly less money then you have less living expenses and therefore a greater opportunity to save and invest.

I have been considering moving back to my home town exactly for these reasons. You can't beat the convenience of the location especially its proximity to Hartford.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM

139 posts, read 287,384 times
I know a few folks in that area (Farmstead Rd, Appletree Dr) and I don't here them complain about crime in their neighborhood. Some neighborhoods are quite old with smaller houses, and others are a bit newer with larger homes. Take a drive around and see how well maintained the homes and yards look. That'll give you an idea on the types of folks living there.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM

196 posts, read 188,111 times
Default Grew up in EH

I grew up in East Hartford and can say that there are still some great sections of that town. Much of my family (parents, siblings, aunts, cousins, close friends) still live there and not much has changed in the areas that they live. There are some great neighborhoods around Goodwin Elementary School (Pinecrest Dive, ShadyCrest Drive, Crescent Drive, Woodycrest Drive), in the O'Connell Drive/Woodmont Drive area, all along Forest Street (Blueberry Estates), Langford Lane area. there are some great neighborhoods off Silver Lane east of Forbes Street. Things go downhill quickly the further down Forbes Street you go (past Silver Lane), Silver Lane toward Main Street, and certainly Burnside Avenue.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM

thank you all so much for the input, we took a drive last weekend around the area, looks very well kept, nice vehicles, nice lawns, saw some people out and about, seems to be a nice family neighborhood. Agreed about north of Silver Lane, we wouldn't even consider that....but down around the Glastonbury border very nice indeed. And way cheaper for a home then Glastonbury....

Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,550 times
I've lived in E. Hartford along the Connecticut River bordering Hartford, and while I didn't have kids at the time, one thing I noticed was the very high property tax rate. The bill even mentioned that, thanks to grants, the rate is discounted -- but it was still quite high. In fact East Hartford has the second highest mill rate in CT.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM

property taxes on things we are looking at in area are around 5000.00 or so. Question is how much difference would we notice on our car taxes vs. Glastonbury, probably negligable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or