U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,441,616 times

Advertisements

I don't hate Bridgeport. I will admit, though, the only time I travel through there is when I take MetroNorth into the city - which means I see the absolute worst areas, and they seem to go on forever. Still, this is mostly along I-95. I've driven down Main Street after exiting the Merritt to get to Fairfield station, and I can't see why this area would be intimidating atall. Granted, it was during the day, but it actually seemed nice.

I don't doubt what others have said that there's been spillover from the bad areas into the safe ones, but this is happening in alot of cities. Maybe crime really is worse now than it was under Ganim, but I remember seeing the old Father Pannick housing projects, and even from the train it looked frightening. They've made some major improvements since then.

Aside from its bad image, another issue is extremely high property taxes. These are high where I live, too - but they're even worse in Bridgeport, and from what I've read there's a high foreclosure rate in the city right now. If that's true, this will be a major factor of crime and a significant deterrent to any further improvements. Years from now, I hope we can be talking about how bad it USED to be, but I don't know if that's going to happen. Maybe it will. Nobody thought they'd clean up Charlotte Street in the Bronx - today it looks like suburbia. Granted, there's still poverty and crime, but I'd still take the neighborhood of today vs. that nabe in 1980 when it looked like Dresden after WW2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM

10,319 posts, read 7,225,131 times
Best in Bridgeport

Brooklawn/North End Expect for Res.Ave Part it going downhill, St Vincent area is okay but over years indents been increasing, Madison Ave/Between Streets to Park Ave bordering Fairfield is really nice and up to Trumbull Line

Black Rock is nice Espcailly by St Mary by the Sea don't go past Ellsworth Street
Treeland Area to Stratford/Trumbull Border
Success Park near Stratford Line is alright
Downtown is okay some nice apartments but nighttime it is like ghost town some shady people

Last edited by BPt111; 01-06-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connectikut View Post
I live in the North End also lol. Yeah certain neighborhoods are bad but thats in any city (Stamfords Custer st area and Merril Ave area as examples). Yeah admittedly I wouldn't raise kids in Bridgeport either but if you're single or a couple without little ones its a great place to be.

Bridgeport bad areas are worst than bad areas in Stamford.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM

338 posts, read 449,986 times
Bridgeport is awful and an absolute dump. Very similar to Oakland, but without the Raider fans.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I do believe Bridgeport could be completely transformed if the empty buildings and factories and lots were redeveloped, but it's such an incredibly huge task that we'll be talking about the "what if's" for decades to come.
It would, and it requires a 2 step process:

(1) gov't seizes land/buildings with unpaid taxes,as owner, the gov't must environmentally cleanse them.

(2) Land is sold to developers on the contractual condition of creating jobs paying a decent wage, on the condition that an entity doing that exists at least one decade, and in return, instead of property taxes, developers are charged a PILOT that simply covers new costs of property to city.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:09 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Bridgeport bad areas are worst than bad areas in Stamford.
The worst areas of every other major city in the state are worst than Stamford's bad areas. Actually, compared to those other city, Stamford doesn't have bad areas. lol

The worst used to be the South End, but it has been on a mellowing down spiral with the new developments. Even on the West Side there are signs of change. The old WWII public housing apartment complex by the Stamford Hospital is currently being prepared for demolition. I passed through there a couple of weeks ago and all the windows appear to have been removed already. These buildings are similar to the ones that used to be in the Southfield section. I remember when those were demolished too, the area changed dramatically after that.

Concerning Bridgeport, I don't hate it, its just not one of my favorite places. I once had to drive through much of the city to visit a family member that suffered an accident on I-95 and was taken to Saint Vincent Medical Center. What I saw of the city on my way to the hospital was more than enough for me. I don't know how much things have changed since then, but I'm not in a hurry to find out either.

All in all, I'm glad Stamford is not only the complete opposite of everything Bridgeport is, but also that its not heading that way. One thing that Bridgeport does beats Stamford is its architecture. They have more beautiful historic buildings than Stamford, but everything else kind of ruins it. Its like New Haven, albeit NH is a few notches above Bridgeport.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,477,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bridgeport has an image issue, but a lot of that is due to its core character. Yes, there are wonderful neighborhoods and I often recommend Black Rock to anyone young looking to rent in the area. I have a few friends that live in the North End and close to Fairfield and like it.

The problem is the urban areas that define the character of the city are mostly very rough. Bridgeport and New Haven are close in crime, but they are very different cities aesthetically. While New Haven downtown and the Yale area has an abundance of gorgeous architecture and is relatively clean with well paved roads, Bridgeport has rough roads, a trash problem, and a ton of abandoned or blighted property. Since that blighted property is so visible from 95, it really hurts the perception of the city.

But if you drive in/around downtown Stamford, New Haven, even Hartford - there's a big difference. And like it or not, those central areas define a city's character for outsiders. And Bridgeport is just a lot more rough around the edges.

I do believe Bridgeport could be completely transformed if the empty buildings and factories and lots were redeveloped, but it's such an incredibly huge task that we'll be talking about the "what if's" for decades to come.
So true. My father who lived in New Haven and worked in Bridgeport always said that without Yale, New Haven would be Bridgeport. Yale provides a stabilizing presence that allows downtown New Haven to weather economic downturns better than other cities, and allows it to capitalize on the good times too.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Bridgeport is awful and an absolute dump. Very similar to Oakland, but without the Raider fans.

Expect Oakland is way bigger than Bridgeport and have Nicer Downtown than Bridgeport. Bridgeport has one of worst looking Downtown area u would see even the train station look dirty.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM

14,713 posts, read 17,933,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
So true. My father who lived in New Haven and worked in Bridgeport always said that without Yale, New Haven would be Bridgeport. Yale provides a stabilizing presence that allows downtown New Haven to weather economic downturns better than other cities, and allows it to capitalize on the good times too.
Yup, totally accurate. The economic boost from affluent students is huge.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 AM

209 posts, read 225,449 times
I've lived in this general area my whole life, and i'm positive that its best days were in the Ganim years. To go a step further, i honestly feel that the city is less safe today than it was when the murder rate was triple(~60) what it is today. Back then(~'90), the crime was much more segregated into specific areas of the city. You knew to stay away from Father Panik/Marina Village/P.T. Barnum. You knew to stay away from Stratford/Newfield Avenues. You knew not to venture down East Main south of Boston Avenue(Rt.1).

Today, it isn't nearly as easy to identify a handful of areas to stay away from in the city. The element has spread substantially throughout the city. Specific examples that i've noted over the years have been the rapid deterioration of East Main north of Rt.1, and the Reservoir/Chopsey Hill neighborhoods. Sad.

I think there's validity to this. I've lived in Bridgeport most of my life, mostly in the North End and even here things have gotten more trashy/ghetto over the last 20 years. You don't have nearly the expectation of peace & quiet, which used to be a main attraction of this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut