U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 4,035 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently read in the Courant that approximately 500 children in Glastonbury are going without food and may not eat much, if anything, over the typical weekend. I am very interested in helping with this problem, but I am so new to the community that I am not sure what groups are already trying to address this locally. I do not want to step on toes, but would like to know whom to contact to get involved or to help initiate an effort. Ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM

3,161 posts, read 7,886,366 times
Glastonbury is a pretty affluent town so you won't find a big distribution tree for people going hungry...there just aren't that many of them. However, they do run a food bank and other seasonal donation services (like back to school stuff for kids in the fall). I would start by calling Glastonbury Social Services- call them through town hall or go to the town's website. They coordinate these programs.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM

24,587 posts, read 40,150,372 times
Glastonbury schools do provide free and reduced priced lunches for students in their schools. In fact I think every school in the state does. I thought your number was high but then looked at the number of students in Glastonbury schools that are eligible for free or reduced price meals. According to the latest information available there are 486 students eligible for free lunches out of approximately 6,800 students (interestingly Eastbury Elementary School only has one student eligible). I also know that the town offers assistance to all students who want to play sports or do activities if needed. Jay

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,290,962 times
The Courant is in the business of selling hype. It says are "hungry" just because they qualify for free or reduced price lunch. This does not mean the kids are going without, despite what the newspaper says. I am a teacher and over 80% of my students qualify for free or reduced price lunch, but they all get plenty of food at school and home.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,443,041 times
I agree the Courant is out to sell papers, but I'm actually glad they brought this up. Contrary to popular belief, there IS poverty in our suburbs, sometimes where you'd least expect it. One of my former co-workers was a volunteer fireman in Simsbury. He used to always mention in staff meetings that they would collect non-perishables for low-income families in Farmington Valley. I saw a documentary on HBO called "Lost on Long Island" and it showed some of the financial burdens that some laid-off, middle class families were facing, many of them living in otherwise ideal settings similar to greater Hartford. The fact that Glastonbury has a food pantry tells me that there's needy, underpriviledged children in town. Many towns have these (including my own). My mother and sister teach in urban areas and their students are also eligible for reduced or free lunch. They may seem to be eating adequately since they're often overweight - but that's because cheap food and a lack of exercise does that to you. The Courant may be exaggerating or dramatizing this (it IS the Courant, lest we forget! ), but I still feel this is something that should be addressed or it may only get worse.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM

774 posts, read 831,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PluckyMom View Post
Hello,

I recently read in the Courant that approximately 500 children in Glastonbury are going without food and may not eat much, if anything, over the typical weekend. I am very interested in helping with this problem, but I am so new to the community that I am not sure what groups are already trying to address this locally. I do not want to step on toes, but would like to know whom to contact to get involved or to help initiate an effort. Ideas?

Thanks!
In my area (outside of New Haven) the food bank runs a "backpack program" and is looking for volunteers to pack non-perishable food for kids to bring home over the weekend. The backpack inserts are dropped off at the schools and I guess there is a discreet way to have the kids who need them pick them up without their friends knowing about it. Maybe a similar program could be started in your area, if it does not already exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut