U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM

751 posts, read 1,509,647 times

Advertisements

I've been bouncing around from one mechanic to another for my entire life. Information on mechanics seem very scarce. Even reviews on Yelp, Yellowpages, etc. are iffy and I wouldn't be shocked if reviews are forged. Furthermore, I searched the City-Data CT forum and could not find any substantial recommendations for Connecticut-based auto repair shops.

How about we all start a thread that will help others (including myself) find quality mechanics? We should also include mechanics that we DON'T recommend, to prevent headaches for others. Here's a list of basic information that should be provided.

Shop:
Specific Contact: (e.g. John Doe)
Cost: (e.g. Fair-priced, Expensive, etc.)
Recommend?: (Yes or No)
Misc. Comments:

I'll start with two recommendations of my own.

My 1st Recommendation
Shop: Budget Transmission & Auto Center
Type of Work: See comments.
Specific Contact: Joe (he usually picks up the phone)
Cost: VERY reasonable.
Recommend?: Yes (with caution).
Misc. Comments:
One of my cars was exhibiting nasty gear-slipping issues. Most people thought it was Transmission-related. I went in thinking that it was going to be costly, but "Joe" recommended a much cheaper alternative - vacuum out CO2 buildup and replace all related coils and sparkplugs. His suggestion worked AND it saved me at least a few hundred bucks!

3 months later, the same problematic car had trouble starting its engine. We thought it was related to the starter and/or fuel injector. Brought it to them - they replaced a cheap O2 sensor and the issue went away.

I say Recommend with Caution because, to be fair, I've only used them twice. Sample size is still too small.

My 2nd Recommendation
Shop: Burns Tire Exchange
Type of Work: Tires and Wheels
Specific Contact: Rich (he usually picks up the phone)
Cost: Very fair
Recommend?: Yes (with caution)
Misc. Comments: I've only used them once, so the sample size is small. My tires and rims were stolen, so my car was sitting on cinderblocks. Towing it was not possible since rolling it onto the bed would mess up the rotors. Burns Tire actually came to my house (for a super small fee) to install everything, which was a very nice thing to do on their part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM

185 posts, read 383,371 times
Shop: Auto Service of Old Saybrook
Type of Work: Auto Repair
Specific Contact: (e.g. John Doe) Bill
Cost: (e.g. Fair-priced, Expensive, etc.) Very Fair
Recommend?: (Yes or No) Highly Recommend
Misc. Comments: This shop is worth the drive from anywhere. I owned a business in CT and had several vehicles, trying many mechanics before a customer of mine recommended Bill. Never went anywhere else again. It's a family business which is honest and fair. His wife does the billing and answers the phone. They will tell you what you need, give you a price, fix it right and fast. Moved to Florida and have to sort through the hacks and crooks all over again!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM

226 posts, read 368,935 times
Anybody have any recommendations in Trumbull or Monroe? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM

15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times
Shop: North Haven Auto Body
Specific Contact:
Cost: (e.g. Fair-priced, Expensive, etc.) A little pricey but they do fantastic work
Recommend?: Highly Recommend
Misc. Comments: Been to them twice after two accidents and both times, they were accommodating and did top notch work. They're, by far, the best around. They're also an Audi and VW certified collision center.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM

14,713 posts, read 17,933,283 times
I can recommend Mike's Collision in Danbury for body work without hesitation. Mike is a stand-up guy and they do great work.

I had good luck with Dulin in Milford.

For Audi/Porsche/VW, Daniel Jacobs in Oxford can't be beat.

ACI Dynamix in Seymour seems good for BMW. Been there a couple times with no complaints.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Shop: North Haven Auto Body
Specific Contact:
Cost: (e.g. Fair-priced, Expensive, etc.) A little pricey but they do fantastic work
Recommend?: Highly Recommend
Misc. Comments: Been to them twice after two accidents and both times, they were accommodating and did top notch work. They're, by far, the best around. They're also an Audi and VW certified collision center.
Ah, I forgot about auto body work! I have a good auto body experience to share myself!

Shop: Auto Collision of Fairfield
Type of Work: Auto Body
Specific Contact: "Sal"
Cost: Unsure - insurance paid for the entire expense less Deductible
Recommend?: Highly recommended!
Misc. Comments: Got into a nasty accident a year and a half ago. A co-worker had recommended me to Auto Collision of Fairfield since her and her family had been using them for over a decade. "Sal" is SUPER nice and the work is fantastic. Only drawback is that due to popularity, there is often a waiting list. It took me 2 weeks for them to begin work on my car, but at least they analyzed it and ordered any needed parts in advance.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM

1,033 posts, read 3,235,272 times
As being someone that is very mechanically inclined. Id say avoid the "general" shops. Only bring your car to a shop thats specializes in your cars make.

Other than that the best bet is the dealership. I know they can be very costly, but the work is guaranteed 100%

There are some honest shops out there that wont B/S you but they are few and far between. Some shops are known to do satisfactory work on your car just so you bring it back and then they get you with a costly repair that is probably unnecessary.

Also a note on the general garages, They dont have complete info to any car maker or model. Theres info that those guys do not get because it is simply a secret that only the dealer or a highly specialized shop will know.

If you have a car that is around 2004 or newer, you really should go to the dealer.

New cars are slowly being made so that the normal person/or shop cant even work on them, because only the dealer has the right tools to get to what they need, and only by using the specific computer to diagnose the problem that regular shops wont get for a very loong time...if at all.

just my .02

Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1r View Post
Anybody have any recommendations in Trumbull or Monroe? Thanks.
If Dominick and/or Mike are still actively working, i'd recommend D&M on Monroe Tpk. in Monroe.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Family Garage
North Ave. Bridgeport
Auto Body
Free would be too expensive. LOL.

Stay far away... I'm astounded that they're still in business. Their repair was so bad that my insurance company let me take the car to another shop for the do-over.

Towne Auto Body
Stratford Ave. Stratford
Auto Body
Above market price

Was a great shop that did top notch work. Quality slipped under newer ownership. Good, but there are probably better places.

Dave's Automotive
Barnum Ave. Stratford
General Repairs
Fair-market pricing

Recommend.

Broadbridge Automotive
Broadbridge Ave. Stratford
General Repairs
Above-market pricing

Recommend only for complex issues that other shops can't properly diagnose. Pricing is a little too steep for basic(non-repair) stuff.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 AM

While we are at it with cars, does anyone know of or can recommend a quality car wash in the area (preferably Fairfield or New Haven County)? I've heard so many stories of car wash brushes scratching up paint and/or the employees not taking care of the car, which leads to unnecessary scuffs.

I loved the "Connecticut Car Care" in Shelton, CT before they were bought out several times. It is now a Speedy Russell's car wash. I haven't been to it since it changed to Speedy Russell.

I've also gone to Splash Car Wash in Fairfield, CT several times, and all of the workers there seemed extremely miserable with their lives. A few of the workers also gave me funny looks that just rubbed me the wrong way. The next evening - my rims and tires were stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or