U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 AM

842 posts, read 1,655,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You say North Haven (pop 23,000) and East Haven (28,000) are not small town, so you don't recommend them, yet you recommend Middletown (48,000) and Southington (40,000)? Sorry but that makes no sense.
I'm glad you went out of your way to find stats. I merely referred to the "feel" Middletown has, since it has Burroughs/neighborhoods, it has what one high-rise building compared to a whole downtown of high rises? it's possible to close out the fact it's a city (with 30% of its population just in the Westfield area) feels more like a winsted/Torrington (than new haven which is a bustling city. My 2 cents, the OP should plan a car tour around the state bc only they know what kind of feel they'll find comfortable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM

15,744 posts, read 22,035,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
I'm glad you went out of your way to find stats. I merely referred to the "feel" Middletown has, since it has Burroughs/neighborhoods, it has what one high-rise building compared to a whole downtown of high rises? it's possible to close out the fact it's a city (with 30% of its population just in the Westfield area) feels more like a winsted/Torrington (than new haven which is a bustling city. My 2 cents, the OP should plan a car tour around the state bc only they know what kind of feel they'll find comfortable.
You can't refute stats.

North Haven is a pretty small town and certainly has a smaller "feel" than Middletown and Southington IMO. It doesn't sound like you know the town very well.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 AM

842 posts, read 1,655,044 times
Guilty of lumping the Havens together. East (used to spend a lot if time at the beaches there, then moved up to Hammonasset) and New (i liased to an offce there for months)are certainly city feel. A friend lived in Woodbridge and anytime we hung out I always disliked the area surrounding Woodbridge bc it was noticeable from city/rural but you're right I may have mistaken the north (thinking it was further south) for part of Hamden...mmm Taco King.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM

64 posts, read 49,752 times
Sounds like you really don't know that area. North Haven is mostly rural and very quiet. Woodbridge is VERY rural, and most of the surrounding area is as well. The parts of Seymour, Bethany, Orange, etc. that border it are quiet and wooded. The only thing that borders Woodbridge that's even remotely city-like is the Amity section of New Haven. And that's a VERY small portion of the Woodbridge border. But that feels suburban too, and is hardly a bad area.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,783,787 times
Middletown can be very deceiving. Certainly the center of the city is densely developed and busy. Most of the rest of the city is suburban. But when you get out into the South Farms area below Randolph Rd. and south it's still only lightly developed.

There you can find hay fields, cow farms, horses and there's even the people with the Thoroughbred horses and their half mile training track. East of Ct Rt 9 & the CT River, along Brooks and Bear Hill Rds. it's all woods,. Middle of nowhere it seems.

OP should try to spend a long weekend, if they can, driving around and getting a feel for different towns.
Wallingford is so centrally located that there's a lot to choose from.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM

24,650 posts, read 40,232,731 times
I think you might just want to look for a rental in Wallingford itself until you get to know the area better. It is a nice smaller town with a wide range of housing options and even has some quieter less developed areas.

To the south of Wallingford is North Haven which as others noted is a very nice town. In fact it is probably one of the nicest towns in the New Haven area. I would classify North Haven as suburban since many of the homes there are on midsized lots and at a lower density but not really rural. It has a lot of shopping options and some entertainment options so it might be a good place to consider.

Also adjacent to Wallingford are Middlefield, Durham, North Haven and Bethany. These are nice but much smaller towns that I would say have a rural character but again you would likely have to travel to Wallingford or North Haven for shopping and entertainment.

Cheshire, to the west, is also very nice and somewhat more upscale and suburban in character. Still you would have to travel a bit for some shopping and entertainment options.

As others noted Meriden to the north is a small city and likely not what you are looking for. As for other towns mentioned like Middletown, Wolcott, Milford nd Orange, they are a bit far from Wallingford and while possibilities, I would not consider them over the other towns above. Jay

Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,048,278 times
Quote:
North Haven is mostly rural and very quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would classify North Haven as suburban since many of the homes there are on midsized lots and at a lower density but not really rural. It has a lot of shopping options and some entertainment options so it might be a good place to consider.

Jay's got it here. More of North Haven is suburban, but there are some parts of it near the North Branford line that are fairly rural.

North Haven's schools are great. They have 2 very large commercial districts on very easy-to-get-to locations. But they will be far more expensive than Hamden or Wallingford in terms of both renting and owning, depending on what you're after, OP.

There are also parts of South Meriden that are nice, but I would be very cautious about Meriden in general. Hamden is also a consideration, but getting used to Rt. 15 will probably not be fun (and that's your main route from Hamden to Wallingford). Every other on-ramp has a stop sign, but not all of them do.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,707,116 times
If I were the OP I'd look first to Wallingford, then North Haven as a very close second choice. The OP says he can spend up to $2600/month for housing + utilities. That'll get him a pretty nice place in either town. I'd check out northern Hamden as a third choice.

For whoever thinks North Haven isn't "small town" enough - there aren't -any- high rises here. The tallest apartment building that I can think of is only 5 floors. There are a few apartment complexes, in clusters scattered around the main roads of the town, but most of North Haven consists of single-family homes, each on a minimum of 1/5 acre of land. Most of them are capes, with garages, many roads have no sidewalks at all, and other than Rte 10 and Rte 22 during rush hours, there's rarely any problematic traffic trouble anywhere in town.

Both North Haven and Wallingford are very civic-activity oriented - the North Haven agricultural fair and the Irish and Italian Festivals, and then there's the Wallingford food festival (I don't know what it's called but it's a lot of fun) and the yearly thing where they have that enormous sidewalk sale that spans the entire hill from the Gazebo and left to Archie Moore's.

Wallingford would be the least expensive of the two, but when you have $2600 to spend, it's not going to be a big deal either way. For $1600 you can rent a nice 3-bedroom or luxury 2-bedroom apartment with your own garage space or assigned parking in an off-street lot, and if you spend $1000 on ALL utilities, heat, hot water, air conditioning, electric, landline, cell phone, internet, and cable TV, I'd be surprised. You'd probably have enough left over to cover half the grocery bill, and you'd be eating well.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
Wallingford has the lowest electric rates in the state .
it is an upmarket blue collar town with reasonable (for ct ) home prices
any thing on the shore will cost you twice as much
it also has a very good school system and public libraries
it is also well zoned with the industrial areas well separated from residential areas
if you are looking for a more rural setting look in either the yalesville or east wallingford parts of town

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

24,650 posts, read 40,232,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfswanson View Post
Wallingford has the lowest electric rates in the state .
it is an upmarket blue collar town with reasonable (for ct ) home prices
any thing on the shore will cost you twice as much
it also has a very good school system and public libraries
it is also well zoned with the industrial areas well separated from residential areas
if you are looking for a more rural setting look in either the yalesville or east wallingford parts of town
I agree with most of the above except for the part where home prices in shore towns being twice as much. They will be higher but not that much higher unless you are talking direct waterfront property. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or