U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 AM

15,780 posts, read 22,073,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with most of the above except for the part where home prices in shore towns being twice as much. They will be higher but not that much higher unless you are talking direct waterfront property. Jay
Thanks for clarifying that. I thought the same thing yesterday when I read it but forgot to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,801,257 times
I wouldn't call Wallingford blue collar. Sure, the center of town maybe. But it's got plenty of McMansion neighborhoods of huge houses and multi acre lots if that's your piece of cake also. Wallingford sprawls and you can find most anything there as far as housing goes.

Prices there are not much different than anywhere else in the general area. Branford is priced comparably, for example, unless you get into the real close to the water areas.

I do like Wallingford's municipal electrical company though. Green with envy every time I'm out for a week or longer after a hurricane and they're on the next day or so ( if they even lose power) .

Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,049,939 times
Here's what willow means in a single image:

This is the center of town. That's a nearly $800k house a half block from a $50k trailer, flanked by various houses up for anywhere between $100k and $300k. This is a nice area, but most of the houses here are very, very old.

That said, anything goes here.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,801,257 times
No, this is more of what I meant. Consistent McMansion neighborhood way out of town in southeast Wallingford in former farm country.

32 Cooke Rd Wallingford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N326456 - Realtor.com®

Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM

24,699 posts, read 40,305,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I wouldn't call Wallingford blue collar. Sure, the center of town maybe. But it's got plenty of McMansion neighborhoods of huge houses and multi acre lots if that's your piece of cake also. Wallingford sprawls and you can find most anything there as far as housing goes.

Prices there are not much different than anywhere else in the general area. Branford is priced comparably, for example, unless you get into the real close to the water areas.

I do like Wallingford's municipal electrical company though. Green with envy every time I'm out for a week or longer after a hurricane and they're on the next day or so ( if they even lose power) .
I do not agree. Wallingford is more of a blue collar town, though you are correct in that there are a number of more upscale white collar areas. These though are few and far between.

Wallingford's median household income is $72,782 with 36% of its residents holding a Bachelors degree. Neighboring Cheshire which is considered white collar has a median household income of $111,416 with 55% of its residents holding a Bachelors degree. The stores and restaurants in Wallingford cater more to the middle class with few upscale establishments. Interestingly, Branford's median income is $72,665 but has a high percentage of Bachelors Degrees at 45%. I am thinking that this might be due to having a lot of Yale workers live there. Yale is known for not paying its workers well even though they are highly educated.

As for Wallingford's electric company, I agree it is great but I have friends that live there and their biggest complaint is how the town government is still set in the 60's. The town does not have internet access for its employees so anytime you want to contact someone, you have to rely on the phone which often means playing telephone tag over simple matters. It also frustrates those who want to market the town as a modern place for modern businesses to locate. Kind of hard when you don't have internet for at least key employees. Jay

Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM

14,795 posts, read 18,044,388 times
Quote:
Colleges are known for not paying their workers well even though they are highly educated.
Fixed it for ya.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM

15,780 posts, read 22,073,849 times
Quote:
I do not agree. Wallingford is more of a blue collar town, though you are correct in that there are a number of more upscale white collar areas. These though are few and far between.

Wallingford's median household income is $72,782 with 36% of its residents holding a Bachelors degree. Neighboring Cheshire which is considered white collar has a median household income of $111,416 with 55% of its residents holding a Bachelors degree. The stores and restaurants in Wallingford cater more to the middle class with few upscale establishments. Interestingly, Branford's median income is $72,665 but has a high percentage of Bachelors Degrees at 45%. I am thinking that this might be due to having a lot of Yale workers live there. Yale is known for not paying its workers well even though they are highly educated.

As for Wallingford's electric company, I agree it is great but I have friends that live there and their biggest complaint is how the town government is still set in the 60's. The town does not have internet access for its employees so anytime you want to contact someone, you have to rely on the phone which often means playing telephone tag over simple matters. It also frustrates those who want to market the town as a modern place for modern businesses to locate. Kind of hard when you don't have internet for at least key employees. Jay
Everything in this post is 100% correct. I know Wallingford very well, especially the operation of their town government, and it's a bit antiquated. Their police department doesn't even have a webpage. That's ridiculous. It's a solid working class community, with some very upscale neighborhoods going toward the Northford/Durham areas.

Branford's lower than normal income is due to one thing - condos. There are a TON in town. The people who live in those condos are usually either young professionals < 30 just starting out in their careers and single parents who want to live in a town with acceptable schools but cannot afford a home. That said, there are a lot of Yale professors who live in town, but are mostly retired experts in their field so don't have a huge income.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 PM

11 posts, read 9,938 times
I live in Wallingford and my husband was born and raised here. It's a very nice town, historic downtown and access to all the major highways.

Waterbury is a city and we go shopping there - but make sure were out of there before it gets dark!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM

4,090 posts, read 2,949,692 times
With a 30 minutes radius from Wallingford -- you can probably reach half the state. Rural, cities, forests, beaches, ski. If I wanted to go anew in CT and explore, it would be hard to beat Wallingford for location. Plus, living is inexpensive in comparison to other areas in CT. If I was OP I would get an apartment 5-10 minutes from work, and by default, be smack in center of everything.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,260 times
I'm also in my 30's -- I grew up in Hamden, currently live in the East Rock neighborhood of New Haven, have family in Wallingford, and am thinking about moving to Guilford. If you want to be near good restaurants and cultural activities, I'd think you want to be near New Haven, but I wouldn't recommend actually living IN New Haven. East Rock is generally considered a safe neighborhood, but there have been a lot of car and apartment break-ins in recent months. You didn't mention that you have kids, so if schools aren't an issue, Branford would be my top recommendation (in terms of a nice place to live, although the commute to Wallingford is more of a pain), followed by Hamden (not all neighborhoods are nice, though) and North Haven -- they all have decent shopping, Branford has some good restaurants, and they're also close to New Haven. You can probably get more for your money in Wallingford & it's a cute town, but it doesn't have that much going on and is further from New Haven. Guilford is lovely, but also has less going on and is further from New Haven. Wolcott seems way too remote to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or