U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 PM

15,741 posts, read 21,991,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
The long distance trucks are registered all over the country. Interstate moves depend on the costs at both ends. The U-Haul rates are set primarily to offset the net migration of trucks in places with different demands.
All trucks can be short distance or long distance. They don't know where you're dropping it off, nor do they care. You can pick up a truck and decide to drop it off anywhere. I picked up a truck in San Diego 2 years ago, planned to drop it off in LA, but dropped it off in the Irvine area instead. Price remained the same.

It's priced based on rental location, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,830,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
Why look at 2011 data when they have the new 2012 out -

Article - United Van Lines Migration Study | 2012 Migration Study | Moving
Data - http://www.unitedvanlines.com/united...-migration.pdf

Great info btw for market study.
You're right - I googled it after having seen it somewhere else and clicked on the wrong line.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,438,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
you don't think it's their goal to put this out there because they know people like you will give them free advertising?.
No, kidyankee, that underlined portion is truly jumping the shark -something you rarely do. I've moved some relatives out, and having talked to moving companies, and knowing mgmt in one, they use data like this and spend valuable salary expense compiling it, in order to be able to determine how much "stock (moving vans)" to maintain at each location.

Now the good news for states losing in net migration is the housing crash decreased the overall, average net outflow versus 10 years ago, as folks upside down in mortgages cannot move for employment or any other reasons without being able to weather the hit. Thus, the US total 8 electoral vote shift from the last census was far lower than the prior change ten years earlier.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
The U-Haul rates are set primarily to offset the net migration of trucks in places with different demands.
Correct. U Haul in Orange, Ct (at least they were there than-not sure now) told a relative of mine just that regarding why a Ct-Tn move cost 1/3 what a Tn-Ct haul cost. They needed fewer out of Orange, more in, and modified rates to drive it. Unfortunately for her, at a time where she had little money, she was choosing the more expensive route.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 AM

24,570 posts, read 40,130,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No, kidyankee, that underlined portion is truly jumping the shark -something you rarely do. I've moved some relatives out, and having talked to moving companies, and knowing mgmt in one, they use data like this and spend valuable salary expense compiling it, in order to be able to determine how much "stock (moving vans)" to maintain at each location.

Now the good news for states losing in net migration is the housing crash decreased the overall, average net outflow versus 10 years ago, as folks upside down in mortgages cannot move for employment or any other reasons without being able to weather the hit. Thus, the US total 8 electoral vote shift from the last census was far lower than the prior change ten years earlier.
Sorry Bob - But honestly, United releases this information for one reason only and that is pubicity. Other major companies complie the same data but do not do this. It is just a way to keep their name in front of the public, reallly. Jay

Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM

33 posts, read 37,299 times
Quote:
The best quick estimate of relative demand rates at the lower end of the market are comparative rental truck rates. Rates are proportional to demand levels. Todays rates for a 20 foot U-Haul truck:

From Dallas, TX to Hartford, CT: $1161
From Hartford, CT to Dallas, TX: $1791
We used United (and never would again!) for our move to CT from the Midwest and it cost about $1800.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry Bob - But honestly, United releases this information for one reason only and that is pubicity. Other major companies complie the same data but do not do this. It is just a way to keep their name in front of the public, reallly. Jay
Not necessarily; if they are better than competition at logistics (how many X footers do I stock in New Haven), they may be crowing when promoting the data. Either way, the purpose of compiling is simple-failure to predict costs money.

The reality is these corps make the most money where the inbounds and outbounds offset each other. Moving trucks to accomodate shifts in pop is very costly.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,335,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
All trucks can be short distance or long distance. They don't know where you're dropping it off, nor do they care. You can pick up a truck and decide to drop it off anywhere. I picked up a truck in San Diego 2 years ago, planned to drop it off in LA, but dropped it off in the Irvine area instead. Price remained the same.

It's priced based on rental location, period.
Nope. The long distance move prices are set to incentivize moves of trucks, to offset different demand.

When you rent a local truck, you rent by the day and you're supposed to return it where you got it. When you make a one way move, you pay according to the destination.

Call a rental company and ask, if you don't believe me.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 AM

462 posts, read 857,012 times
Quote:
Nope. The long distance move prices are set to incentivize moves of trucks, to offset different demand.

When you rent a local truck, you rent by the day and you're supposed to return it where you got it. When you make a one way move, you pay according to the destination.

Call a rental company and ask, if you don't believe me.
I can say true dat on this. I was just at U-Haul and the cost to go one way was $500 for a one day rental. They guy told me if I brought it back, it would be much cheaper ... But then l'd have to pay for a plane ticket back to the end destination ... Which I haven't checked the price on, and probably won't. Too much of a hassle and my time is valuable too!

HUGz! Jules

Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM

57 posts, read 144,813 times
I moved from CT to a southern state. My initial reason for considering moving was to leave cold winter weather behind and to enjoy a warmer climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut