U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 PM

10,320 posts, read 7,225,131 times

Advertisements

Stamford, Hartford, New Haven seem more to have more foot traffic and citywide traffic than Bridgeport and offer more than this city. There is no barley entertainment here it get very boring etc

The population of Bridgeport, Waterbury, New Haven, and Hartford are very close in numbers, so to say Bridgeport is the largest city is misleading.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 AM

8,830 posts, read 14,231,780 times
Well, yes and no.

It is the biggest city because it has the highest population inside it's municipal boundaries. But you are right the other cities are very close.

In terms of having a whole metro area of suburbs not connected to some larger metro area, Hartford is probably in that sense the biggest city in CT (some would even say that Waterbury is part of this area in a peripheral way). The area around Bridgeport (if you assume most/all of FFC) is probably comparable in population, but much if not all of it is really part of the greater NYC area and not simply due to Bridgeport itself, especially the parts closer to NY state like Stamford).

New Haven is a little unique in the some of the population growth around it are very long-distance commuters to NYC (and somewhat long distance commuters to Hartford) but it has a more significant "independent history" as a city than Bridgeport and certainly Stamford do (of course Bridgeport and Stamford existed well before suburban growth, but a lot of Stamford's growth in the last 40 years relates to nearness to NY and Bridgeport's growth in population in the 2010 census for the first time since 1950 is largely poorer people to the west looking for cheap housing).

NOTE: Not meant as a insult; being from southern Westchester, when I worked at a HS in Bridgeport for 2 years I thought it was cool to learn that a lot of the students I worked with lived in the Bronx, Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Stamford and Norwalk when they were little kids and I base this statement on that. The best part was one student whose grandma was my neighbor as a kid. In fact, a surprisingly common pattern I was told often:

- Born in the Bronx or one of the bordering cities to the north
- Then moved to Stamford
- Then moved to Norwalk
- Now lives in Bridgeport

Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Hartford has the largest metropolitian population in the state with about 1 million people. It is also the largest employment center with about 107,000 jobs. No other city in our state is close to that. Bridgeport only has about 42,000 jobs. New Haven has about 79,000 jobs while Stamford has 71,000. At one time Bridgeport was significantly higher and may have been the top job market but with the loss of its once mamouth industrial base, it has been overtaken by Stamford and New Haven. Jay

Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM

10,320 posts, read 7,225,131 times
I notice over past years Alot of Former Bronx residents live in Bridgeport

Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 AM

5,529 posts, read 8,184,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
They're very similar to each other.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM

8,830 posts, read 14,231,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hartford has the largest metropolitian population in the state with about 1 million people. It is also the largest employment center with about 107,000 jobs. No other city in our state is close to that. Bridgeport only has about 42,000 jobs. New Haven has about 79,000 jobs while Stamford has 71,000. At one time Bridgeport was significantly higher and may have been the top job market but with the loss of its once mamouth industrial base, it has been overtaken by Stamford and New Haven. Jay
I didn't think about employment center numbers, I like that comparison......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I almost guarantee you have a lot of the "former" other cities I mentioned too (Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, New Rochelle, Stamford and Norwalk).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut