U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,218,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am sorry but I do not agree with you on Hartford. The cities you mention are primarily tourist destinations which does not mean they are any better off than Hartford. Hartford is a serious working city with several major employment categories that any of the cities you mention would love to have. Jay
The cities I mentioned are tourist destinations because they were able to revive their central areas, not the other way around. Nobody went out of their way to go to Portland or Portsmouth until those cities came back from the drab backwaters there were 30 or 40 years ago. Hartford would be a tourist destination too if it had a nice street scene with shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. As larger cities demonstrate, being a serious working city, as you put it, doesn't get in the way of being a tourist destination. Hartford has plenty to offer the tourist but it lacks ambiance. That's the problem elinyc and others are talking about. Hartford is great: big economy, wealth, jobs, beautiful country nearby, many nice towns and suburbs around... What it lacks is that urban buzz that you find in Boston and, on a smaller scale, in the cities I mentioned. What will it take to bring something like that to Hartford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM

15,744 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
What will it take to bring something like that to Hartford?
It will take the suburbanites to recognize the void and problems that plague the city, and want to do something about it.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,447,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It will take the suburbanites to recognize the void and problems that plague the city, and want to do something about it.
There's that, and attitudes among city residents have to change. Because there is a point where constantly throwing money into solving a problem can't help anymore. People can spend money like drunken sailors in Times Square hoping it will resolve something, but in the end, unless attitudes change then nothing will improve.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM

2,717 posts, read 2,485,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I doubt this will happen anytime soon. Other than going to the occasional UConn game or show, most suburbanites in the Hartford area have no need to venture into the city outside of work. They have everything they need in their towns. It's a vicious cycle - the worse it gets in Hartford, the further the retreat into the suburbs.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,938,004 times
Speculating from I have seen in NYC -- previously-bad areas of NYC (comparable to Hartford), such as Harlem partly, Williamsburg, etc got revitalized not long ago. Young professionals (hipsters, yuppies, hippes, whatever they were called) moving into these areas, due to cheaper rents, were the catalyst. Gentrification is moving outwards now, such as Bushwick, Clinton Hill, Bed-Stuy, upper Harlem, even South Bronx.

Many of these were actually women, post-college, getting jobs $40-60k. These "urban adventurers" were not families with kids.

It would not surprise me if there were a lot more entry-level professional jobs in Hartford, you might see improvement in rundown Hartford areas. There are a couple of luxury buildings, but unless "yuppies" move into the existing neighborhoods, it might be hard for Hartford to gentrify.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM

14,746 posts, read 17,977,138 times
Hartford lacks that hipster appeal. It's in South Norwalk, Black Rock, New Haven. For all intents and purposes, Hartford SHOULD have that element... but it doesn't.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,938,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Hartford lacks that hipster appeal. It's in South Norwalk, Black Rock, New Haven. For all intents and purposes, Hartford SHOULD have that element... but it doesn't.
Maybe because of what JayCT called "serious working city"? That might mean a lot of lawyers, or other highly paid professionals, no? My single friends in the area live in the suburbs. They are embedded into the suburban living, although single. I don't think these would be the ones to ever move inside Hartford.

If Yale was in Hartford, it would have been very different. In fact, instead of the brand-spanking new Convention Center, if Uconn had been moved to Hartford from Storrs for example, that might have sparked something. Right now, neither Trinity nor U of H are doing any "hipster injection."

Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 PM

284 posts, read 424,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
The cities I mentioned are tourist destinations because they were able to revive their central areas, not the other way around. Nobody went out of their way to go to Portland or Portsmouth until those cities came back from the drab backwaters there were 30 or 40 years ago. Hartford would be a tourist destination too if it had a nice street scene with shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. As larger cities demonstrate, being a serious working city, as you put it, doesn't get in the way of being a tourist destination. Hartford has plenty to offer the tourist but it lacks ambiance. That's the problem elinyc and others are talking about. Hartford is great: big economy, wealth, jobs, beautiful country nearby, many nice towns and suburbs around... What it lacks is that urban buzz that you find in Boston and, on a smaller scale, in the cities I mentioned. What will it take to bring something like that to Hartford?
Agree 100% on all of the above, but I'd also like to state (again) that in addition to lacking appeal as mentioned above, Hartford lacks safety, it lacks any wealth in the city itself (all the wealthy that work there run off to West Hartford when the bell rings at 5pm). Poverty and crime are the basic, essential issues and I think once those are solved (or at least improved), gentrification might come naturally. Although perhaps the safety/poverty issue will not improve UNTIL gentrification comes to town. It seems like a vicious cycle, but if there is something that can be done by the community or the government or whoever to bring that kind of revitalization to Hartford, I would be 100% on board. Any viable suggestions out there?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,287,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
In fact, instead of the brand-spanking new Convention Center, if Uconn had been moved to Hartford from Storrs for example, that might have sparked something. Right now, neither Trinity nor U of H are doing any "hipster injection."
Incidentally, UConn is moving it's West Hartford campus into the CBD.

UConn moving campus from West Hartford to downtown Hartford - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Alongside the State consolidating offices into a few of the CBD towers there will be a higher population of about 3-6k daytime. Let's hope developers see the potential earlier than when they did in Stamford and convert some of the apartment complexes into something student friendly. That'd be a huge kick start to reworking the core outward in Hartford.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM

275 posts, read 335,780 times
Unhappy What do you mean, when you say "hipster" Henry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Maybe because of what JayCT called "serious working city"? That might mean a lot of lawyers, or other highly paid professionals, no? My single friends in the area live in the suburbs. They are embedded into the suburban living, although single. I don't think these would be the ones to ever move inside Hartford.

If Yale was in Hartford, it would have been very different. In fact, instead of the brand-spanking new Convention Center, if Uconn had been moved to Hartford from Storrs for example, that might have sparked something. Right now, neither Trinity nor U of H are doing any "hipster injection."

It is sad that the capitol of the state isn't doing better.
Remember the mall where the Whalers used to play hockey?
they had great shops there.
They used to have great rock concerts too, at the Bushnell
Auditorium, rock bands played in Bushnell.park,
long time ago, they had weekly horror movies at Trinity
College I heard.
I have talked to people who live in some of the suburbs out-
side Hartford, like Manchester & E. Hartford, & they said they couldn't stand some of the nightclubs in their suburbs.
They'd like to go to a nightclub in Hartford, but didn't
want to pay high parking fees, & were kind if concerned
about their safety too, because there's been numerous
incidents of shootings in Hartford on the news too.
Wish they'd stop forcing people to pay these riduculous parking fees just to visit Hartford.
That is probably why so many great businesses
have closed down in recent years in downtown
Hartford!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or