U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 AM

419 posts, read 336,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I'm sorry to have been unclear.

Over the years I have formed the impression that many people find Hartford unappealing for a variety of reasons. Proximity to Hartford is thus seen as a negative factor when discussing a town like West Hartford. I don't necessarily share this opinion- I am just noting my perception of others opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,997,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Did I read this correctly? San Diego can't compare to much of what New Haven has? Like what??? I know San Diego doesn't get snow or have Modern Apizza, but what else am I missing?

I lived in Southern California during my twenties and San Diego is a nightlife mecca that accommodates all types of entertainment. I don't even know where to start with this comparison. I mean really...San Diego can't compare to much of what New Haven has????

Options in San Diego were endless when I lived there. Friends who visited me from NYC/Boston/Miami were shocked by how much it offered. Everything from going to Petco Park to catch an afternoon baseball game and afterwards hitting up one of many craft beer breweries that are world-renowned, which by the way is walking distance. You can wrap up the night in the historic Gaslamp Quarter or go up to the diverse and vibrant Hillcrest neighborhood. Perhaps you want to take in the Pacific Ocean breeze, in that case visit Pacific Beach or the Mission Beach boardwalk. The ferry ride to Coronado is breathtaking as well.

Oh and New Haven is no NYC.....please stop trying to fool us.
Agree on San Diego, but also agree with kid that the food scene isn't that impressive. On a per capita basis, New Haven has it beat. San Diego kills New Haven on nightlife and street life though. And scale. It's a much larger city.

No one is saying New Haven is an NYC. But the comparison of New Haven to a SMALL NYC NEIGHBORHOOD is fair IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I'm sorry to have been unclear.

Over the years I have formed the impression that many people find Hartford unappealing for a variety of reasons. Proximity to Hartford is thus seen as a negative factor when discussing a town like West Hartford. I don't necessarily share this opinion- I am just noting my perception of others opinions.
Hartford definitely has some negative perception, but I've never met anyone that gave West Hartford negative points because of it.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,707,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
kid is spot on - New Haven very much reminds me of one of Manhattan's neighborhoods. I also spend a decent amount of time in Manhattan and its nightlife. I was just bar hopping in the East Village this weekend. It's got the same tight-knit, but lively feel of the East/West villages. The architecture is more in line with the West Village, as it tends toward that classic feel vs. the gritty urban feel of the LES. The ENTIRE city is about equal to one neighborhood of NYC. It's hard to compare the cities fairly as their scale is so drastically different, but the nightlife for a city New Haven's size is admirable.

I will say though that the LES is becoming a club/bar mecca. It rivals any major city in that sense. Meatpacking has an odd feel, as things are more spread out and you get clusters of very busy clubs between empty blocks.
Kidyankee *initially* said that New Haven is similar to NYC. It isn't. Some of New Haven is similar to certain neighborhoods in NYC. But the two cities *cannot* compare. New Haven doesn't have Times Square. New Haven doesn't have a Battery Park. New Haven doesn't have Wall Street. New Haven doesn't have Fashion Avenue. New Haven doesn't have West Village, or East Village. New Haven has a few blocks on State street reminiscent of the boutiquey atmosphere of West Village. New Haven also has a couple of stage theatres - but it's no Times Square. New Haven has several bars, and a few dance clubs. But it's no Chelsea, and it certainly isn't the meatpacking district. It is *reminiscent* of aspects of both - but again - they cannot compare. The cities themselves are as "similar" as a pond and a lake. Both contain fresh water, vegetation, fish, and dirt. But the two -cannot- compare.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,997,574 times
I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Huh? New Haven's nightlife and restaurant scene rivals that of the largest cities in the country IMO.
Stylo: Kidyankee didn't merely suggest otherwise. He -stated- otherwise. This is what I responded to. If he had said otherwise, I wouldn't have felt a need to respond, because I would've agreed. I disagree with the above statement. New Haven's nightlife and restaurant scene does -not- rival that of the largest cities in the country.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM

15,752 posts, read 22,035,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Stylo: Kidyankee didn't merely suggest otherwise. He -stated- otherwise. This is what I responded to. If he had said otherwise, I wouldn't have felt a need to respond, because I would've agreed. I disagree with the above statement. New Haven's nightlife and restaurant scene does -not- rival that of the largest cities in the country.
...in your opinion. You have yet to back up your claims by naming any nightlife neighborhoods in NYC and how they compare to New Haven. That's how I know you don't frequent NYC (and New Haven!) nightlife.

And for someone who doesn't frequent them, you need not be so matter of fact.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
...in your opinion. You have yet to back up your claims by naming any nightlife neighborhoods in NYC and how they compare to New Haven. That's how I know you don't frequent NYC (and New Haven!) nightlife.

And for someone who doesn't frequent them, you need not be so matter of fact.
And again - your original statement didn't claim to compare the entire city of New Haven, with ONE NEIGHBORHOOD of NYC. Your original statement compared the entire city of New Haven, with THE ENTIRE CITY OF NEW YORK.

And again - you cannot compare entire city #1, with entire city #2. I already gave you examples. New Haven doesn't have 20 blocks of anything resembling Fashion Avenue. New Haven doesn't have 10 square blocks of anything resembling the Village East, or the Village West. New Haven doesn't have more than a few square blocks of dance clubs. New York has a few DOZEN blocks of dance clubs.

We can go around and around and around, but you comparing New York City with New Haven, is pointless, and even harmful, to people who are looking to find out what New Haven can offer. New Haven can offer a HINT of the kind of nightlife that New York City can offer. It cannot rival the nightlife of New York City. It lacks a theatre district. It lacks a fashion district. It lacks an opera house. It lacks a world-renowned theatre dedicated to ballet. It lacks skyscrapers, it lacks a Battery Park. It lacks anything remotely resembling Central Park. New Haven is not a big city. It cannot compare with a big city, because it isn't one. They don't even have M&T Deli anymore; you have to go all the way out to Amity to find a decent kosher meal. New York has a whole section of the city filled with kosher delis and live klezmer music on Saturday nights.

You can't compare the cities to each other. You can compare aspects of one city, to aspects of the other. New Haven doesn't have boroughs. New York does. And within each borough, you'll find nightlife, and restaurants. New Haven has a lively active downtown. New Haven's downtown area is only around 20 square blocks. New York City's "downtown" is over 500 square blocks. You CANNOT compare them.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM

15,752 posts, read 22,035,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And again - your original statement didn't claim to compare the entire city of New Haven, with ONE NEIGHBORHOOD of NYC. Your original statement compared the entire city of New Haven, with THE ENTIRE CITY OF NEW YORK.......

You can't compare the cities to each other. You can compare aspects of one city, to aspects of the other. New Haven doesn't have boroughs. New York does. And within each borough, you'll find nightlife, and restaurants. New Haven has a lively active downtown. New Haven's downtown area is only around 20 square blocks. New York City's "downtown" is over 500 square blocks. You CANNOT compare them.
And that's exactly what I did, so perhaps you should go back and reread as this has now become a comprehension issue.

In all of your spouting, you're failing to see the fact that I'm not comparing every aspect of New Haven to "THE ENTIRE CITY OF NEW YORK". I'm comparing two aspects of New Haven, and saying they can absolutely hold their own in comparison. There's a difference between quality and quantity. New York has quantity. I get that.

What you don't get is that the best nightlife strip NYC has to offer is similar to what New Haven has to offer. Period. It's not harmful to anyone - what's harmful is a know-it-all trying to pretend they're familiar with nightlife when it's evident they haven't participated in many years.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-15-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM

2,895 posts, read 2,970,170 times
I'll agree on the food aspect, and it being appropriate to compare NH to a NYC neighborhood. That said, I need to (strongly) dissent on the nightlife comment. New York is on a completely different level.

A short but not exhaustive list:
Late night "underground"
Neighborhood "scenes"- Village, TriBeca, SoHo, Williamsburg
World renowned restaurants: Per Se, Gotham, Le Bernardin, Four Seasons, Peter Luger (a good steakhouse is missing from NH)
Clubs/Hotel Bars (W Hotel/Whiskey Bar, Element, Cielo)
Pro Sports
Chelsea Piers
Central Park

Last edited by Wilton2ParkAve; 01-16-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM

24,660 posts, read 40,232,731 times
Lets stop bickering and get back to the original topic of this thread. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or