Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 25,853 times

Advertisements

I appreciate everyone's help. After having more time to roam around and think about the "outdoors" aspect, I think it can definitely grow on me. Sorry if I offended anyone... just need to understand how much of a culture shock it was to me having always lived in "cities" where there was always a few half-decent bars open until at least midnight or so, and there's at least a few fast food shops open until the wee hours of the morning which is more for being able to not worry about rushing to get food after work and I can take a nap until 9:30/10 and grab a quick bite easily. It'll be a change, but I think the relativity to NYC and Boston will keep me entertained.

That said, I did see a few questionable areas in the West Hartford area, which is where I hope to stay. Obviously I want to stay in walking distance (safely) to the Town Center and Blue Black. Looking on apartments, apartmentguide, trulia, and craigslist, my options seem limited as to whats available for renting with about 800sq ft with a washer/dryer and safe off-street parking. Price isn't an issue as there doesn't seem to be anything out of my range, and I'm willing to pay to live somewhere that I won't hear a neighbor walking around or I won't have to walk around like a mouse or worry that I'm watching an action movie with tons of explosions. Unfortunately from my experience when I lived in one of these old duplexes up north, they're rather 'loud' between your neighbors. Tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Tips for reducing sound passage between walls:

In the bedroom, put the high-boy dresser (aka tall chest of drawers) against the shared wall, or if you are using a shorter dresser, add a wide mirror. Here's the trick: Get some insulating sheets (they're similar to thin (1/4 inch thick) styrofoam boards covered with plastic), and affix them to the back of your furniture/mirror, rather than the walls.

In the TV room, put the TV in that shared wall space, but this time you'll need to put the sheet on the wall itself. You can cover it with a solid-color fabric so that it looks more like background decoration, and you can use removable tape to hang it.

If there's a dining room, put a hutch in that shared space, and affix the sheeting to the back of the hutch. If it's an open-backed hutch, then "decorating" the sheeting with fabric is, once again, useful.

This won't mute or eliminate shared noise, but it will reduce it. What's even more, is it'll reduce your neighbor's overhearing YOU on your side of the wall

Bonus - you can use this sheeting and fabrics or even painted muslin as wall decorations, without any furniture at all, as accent pieces to any room. It cuts easily with a box knife and can be cut to fit into any space.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
There are more than a few decent bars open past midnight, and 24 hour fast food shouldn't be hard to find. I think you'll like it.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM

214 posts, read 290,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random83274 View Post
What kept me sane (or actually enjoy it) was Syracuse had Armory Square, and it was simple to find many good places to eat in general in the city. Even all of its suburbs has a couple nice restaurants and bars. It has concerts all the time (including a fair amount of big-named artists), and a different festival every week. Dewitt was really nice, and there were a bunch of new developments with homes that were relatively new. Yes, it has a fair share of old and run down places, but it wasn't difficult to find things at all. The difference between the attitude of the residents alone is big - people I met who grew up in Syracuse didn't mind it and in fact had a lot of pride and loved it. Many had no plans of leaving if they didn't have to. Most 20-somethings I've met in Hartford/Central CT count down the days until they can get out of here.

When I'm relocating to new cities, I pretty take a weekend or so and drive around and check out everywhere. I did that this weekend, and I really couldn't find anything besides wine bars in the nice areas. I tried to resort to Yelp, and everything kept bringing me to areas that looked rather sketchy.

I have lived in many cities around the country, including extended (1-2 week stays) in many more for business. I have rarely come across a time when I couldn't drive around after work and find something good/local to go to (and safely alone). I have been here a week, and I drive around for a little bit after work but ultimately keep ending up in West Hartford at the Irish bar by Blue Black.

So how about this: instead of everyone just saying, "West Hartford", how about name off the bars, restaurants, and things people do for fun here. I want to love living here, and I'm trying hard. It's just very difficult when it seems the only social thing I will do will be looking forward to the weekend to visit friends in NYC.

I know there are people on this forum who do love living here. I won't deny that. But I find a large amount of people who live here or who have lived here and I constantly need to preface asking for suggestions with- "Please don't recommend to not move here, because it's depressing me alot". And they all typically give a look of something like they're thinking how hard it'll be to not by negative.

I'm in town a few more days, and I'll be able to do a little more exploring hopefully to find something to change my mind and not be as discouraged. Any help/suggestions are welcome (besides "find a different job"). I don't expect Dallas or a major city... just something enjoyable that I don't have to already know people to enjoy.
Wow, did you even read JayCT's post?

Does anyone else smell a troll in the OP's general direction?

Every one of your posts in this thread gives off this air of pretentious snobbery. There are no cities in CT which even begin to approach Dallas-scale. The closest one, depending on where in CT you would be living, is either Boston or New York City. You sound like the kind of person who believes that anything less than a conspicuously wealthy world-class city is not worth your time or respect. And if that's the case, you will have no real friends in CT. Just watch.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 AM

140 posts, read 259,382 times
Sure it's not like Dallas, Boston, New York City, Chicago, or whatever other huge cultural cities, but Connecticut has its own charm and is very unique. Connecticut is one of the prettiest states in the nation, has lots of natural beauty, peaceful beaches, tons of trails, and tons of events. I know at this time of year Connecticut doesn't look its nicest, but that's because it is the winter, and many areas in the Northeast and Midwest will not look their best. But in the spring, fall, and even summer, Connecticut is a very pretty state. The spring and fall have really nice weather, which is the best time to enjoy the peaceful beaches, walks in the forests, etc. It is also fun to attend many festivals and events across Connecticut throughout the year (especially during the summer months). New Haven has some really nice culture, and a plethora of things to do.

I'm glad you are finding some nice things about Connecticut. You'll love Connecticut a little better in the spring, as the weather will be nicer, everything will start to look prettier, and generally that's when more events and festivals start to happen.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM

19 posts, read 31,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random83274 View Post
What kept me sane (or actually enjoy it) was Syracuse had Armory Square, and it was simple to find many good places to eat in general in the city. Even all of its suburbs has a couple nice restaurants and bars. It has concerts all the time (including a fair amount of big-named artists), and a different festival every week. Dewitt was really nice, and there were a bunch of new developments with homes that were relatively new. Yes, it has a fair share of old and run down places, but it wasn't difficult to find things at all. The difference between the attitude of the residents alone is big - people I met who grew up in Syracuse didn't mind it and in fact had a lot of pride and loved it. Many had no plans of leaving if they didn't have to. Most 20-somethings I've met in Hartford/Central CT count down the days until they can get out of here.
I work in Syracuse quite a bit and go to Armory square almost every night while in SYR. I have also Worked in Dallas a few weeks while in dallas I stayed in the Spring hill sutes downtown and explored the touristy entertainment district adjacent. I also spent my nights at The Ginger Man in the arts district and also visited blackfriars and the idle rich near by. both areas has a sketchy feel near by, but were generally nice, and there was indeed good itallian at vin 100 and excelent steaks near the hotel.

Syracuse... Armory square... love it. but its like 1 block. dowtown NewHaven is far more equipped to entertain you than the square. Id also say West Hartford is also, but maybe a little older crowd. and 1 block from the square is legit sketchy. like prostitutes and homeless people loitering. at least Hartford keeps most of that out of the CBD.

so... lets do this..
Dinosaur BBQ=has no equal, but you should try Black eyed sallys. if after eating the place feels old go upstairs to pigs eye pub. young party crowd and like 30 beers on tap.

Empire Brewing- way better beer in Hartford. go to Hooker for the open house thing they do... If I were 25 and single I would do damage there. for an actual brew pub.. city steam in downtown easily rivals Empire easily. in New Haven, go to Brew room @BAR it even kinda looks like empire. but better beer and order the mashed potato pizza... trust me. The only other thing that matters in SYR... The Blue Tusk. OK, seriously one of the best bars in the world.... literally and I have been to a lot and in many countries.. Tusk owns me. OK the Delerium Cafe in Brussels owns me... but if you like the tap house, go to eli cannons in Middletown. its a great bar and puts up a great fight. its beer garden is better than the one at The Ginger man...it has a beach.. and should make you feel a little at home. you will however get less wheat beers that you Texans love. Also Cask Republic in New Haven can hang with the epic beers. the around the corner hit Prime 16 In Hartford try these options... Half Door, Plan B(the one in W Hartford) and Republic in Bloomfield. each has excellent food and good beer.

changing gears..if you want young and stuff go to Allyn Street Hartford. between pigs eye near by, Black Bear, The russian lady and all stops in between there are something like 17 bars there. heavily frequented by 20 somethings

good luck. but in general... Hartford crushes Syracuse. it might just take you a little longer to figure it out. it will be easier in spring.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM

Dinosaur is now in Stamford. Not the shortest drive, but if you ever have the craving.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Dinosaur is now in Stamford. Not the shortest drive, but if you ever have the craving.
This is excellent news. I'll have to have my beloved spouse whisk me away in the spring for some ribs and their exquisite corn bread and music this year!

See - another reason to live in the Greater New Haven area - it's close to Dinosaur Bar in Stamford!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM

19 posts, read 31,953 times
Dino is expanding all over. Guarantee Hartford will have one within a year or so. it has a loyal following with Carrier based in Hartford, but from Syracuse. Myself being one of the people who travels between the two m multiple times a year. I'd say that there are also a disporportionate number of Central NY people loving in Hartford area due to Carrier being owned by UTC and job transfers etc.

Nothing beats the Origonal though.. location and sketchyness account for part of the charm.
do you think the one in Stamford has pickinick benches outside and a mural?
just saying. Its the same reason that PLan B in West Hartford > Plan B Glastonbury

The point should still be to the OP... Syracuse Armory Square is nice, but he has not looked around CT enough yet to make a fair comparison. Having been everywhere he raves about and living in Greater Hartford for 7 years now, I can confirm that he needs to look around a little better.

It does not help that downtown in any city in the winter can be blustery and just un fun.
It also does not help that he was in SYR has a student so likely had a peer network that he does not have here yet.

JOIN HYPE Hartford Young Professional something... basically all they do is networking events... classy term for partys

Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Selfishly, I'd love a Dinosaur in the New Haven/Milford area. But am happy to drive to Stamford for my fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut