U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 PM

35 posts, read 61,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random83274 View Post
I appreciate everyone's help. After having more time to roam around and think about the "outdoors" aspect, I think it can definitely grow on me. Sorry if I offended anyone... just need to understand how much of a culture shock it was to me having always lived in "cities" where there was always a few half-decent bars open until at least midnight or so, and there's at least a few fast food shops open until the wee hours of the morning which is more for being able to not worry about rushing to get food after work and I can take a nap until 9:30/10 and grab a quick bite easily. It'll be a change, but I think the relativity to NYC and Boston will keep me entertained.

That said, I did see a few questionable areas in the West Hartford area, which is where I hope to stay. Obviously I want to stay in walking distance (safely) to the Town Center and Blue Black. Looking on apartments, apartmentguide, trulia, and craigslist, my options seem limited as to whats available for renting with about 800sq ft with a washer/dryer and safe off-street parking. Price isn't an issue as there doesn't seem to be anything out of my range, and I'm willing to pay to live somewhere that I won't hear a neighbor walking around or I won't have to walk around like a mouse or worry that I'm watching an action movie with tons of explosions. Unfortunately from my experience when I lived in one of these old duplexes up north, they're rather 'loud' between your neighbors. Tips?
Ok, here's advice from a single mom in her early twenties who's a college student that grew up in New Haven.
New Haven has a lot of nightlife in my opinion. I don't go out every weekend but when I do and want to get a good buzz and dance and meet people, there are places to go.
One place is called Bar. I'd rank Bar as a top place to go to be honest. Daytime or nighttime. They even have Mashed Potato Pizza which is pretty awesome. I love going at night because there's a dance floor in the back with a good bar selection. Last time I was there, they had jagerbomb specials which was pretty great.
BAR | Pizza, Beer and Nightclub in New Haven, CT

Another place you may like is Toad's Place.
Toad's Place - Where the legends play!
They host concerts and are a pretty cool place to drink and dance.

Another club is Alchemy. Once again, music, drinks, dancing, more of your typical night club but very fun.
https://www.facebook.com/AlchemyElevate

There's a 24 hour Dunkin Donuts in West Haven, 24 hour McDonalds in New Haven, 24 hour Wal-Mart in Wallingford, a 24 hour Stop and Shop (grocery store) in Hamden on the corner of Skiff St and Dixwell Ave, etc. So you're good if you ever ran out of food at 3 in the morning or are still drunk as a skunk and want food. There is also the Milford mall, restaurants all up and down the Boston Post Rd which if you were coming from New Haven, most places run on the Post Rd from West Haven to Orange then to Milford. So all through those three towns/cities on that very road you'll find shopping centers that include Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, TGI Friday's, Boston Market (I love their food), Chili's, Olive Garden, a couple furniture stores, and so much more. Drive down it sometime. Start on the Boston Post Road in West Haven and drive down it until you reach the mall which is in Milford which will be on your left side if you're coming from West Haven. You'll see. If I'm in the mood to go out for food, I'll just hop in my car and drive down that road until I find a place I'm in the mood for lol. All of these places not very far from New Haven IMHO

Now, yes, Yale is kind of surrounded by a dump in a way. But there are pockets of New Haven that are actually quite decent. Many live downtown. If you can afford it, luxury apartments were actually just built downtown New Haven. Another nice pocket is the East Rock neighborhood in New Haven. This includes Orange St and I believe parts of Whalley Ave. There's also a certain part of Quinnipiac Ave that's decent but close to the 'hood and a part of Front St right near the Quinnipiac River but also near the 'hood. East Shore over by Lighthouse Beach is a very nice area of New Haven. Amity is nice too. It's partly in New Haven, partly in Woodbridge. If you do look on craigslist, you may find someone renting a home, or you may find a home being rented out that would require you to live with housemates if you are open to that idea. Many of whom are young professionals.

Remember you also could live close to New Haven, like in East Haven or West Haven. Those places aren't that bad and have some pretty decent apartments. Ya just gotta know where to look and you'll be good. It's hard coming to a new place and not knowing anything. I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,660,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Selfishly, I'd love a Dinosaur in the New Haven/Milford area. But am happy to drive to Stamford for my fix.
As they have expanded ive noticed there quality has started slipping...

Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 AM

14,753 posts, read 17,990,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
As they have expanded ive noticed there quality has started slipping...
Did you eat at Stamford and feel that way? I had a fantastic meal at Stamford, as good as any of their locations. A friend went a few days later and had the same. They returned a week later and had a terrible meal and service.

The Harlem and Rochester locations are great.

All these places have kinks when they first open. Plan B in Milford was an absolute disaster for a while, but apparently they hired a consultant and I've noticed they've improved a bit. Same with Pepe's in Danbury, they seem to have worked out some issues. Give it a year and if it's still inconsistent, the quality issue might be real.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,660,444 times
Quote:
Did you eat at Stamford and feel that way? I had a fantastic meal at Stamford, as good as any of their locations. A friend went a few days later and had the same. They returned a week later and had a terrible meal and service.

The Harlem and Rochester locations are great.

All these places have kinks when they first open. Plan B in Milford was an absolute disaster for a while, but apparently they hired a consultant and I've noticed they've improved a bit. Same with Pepe's in Danbury, they seem to have worked out some issues. Give it a year and if it's still inconsistent, the quality issue might be real.
I haven't tried Stamford , but the Newark location which was fine the first time , but horrible the second time. I heard the same for Stamford at first it was great my friends said but now its just horrible. When ever a non chain becomes a chain these problems seem to occur and never seen go away...

Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM

97 posts, read 117,269 times
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's help. After having more time to roam around and think about the "outdoors" aspect, I think it can definitely grow on me. Sorry if I offended anyone... just need to understand how much of a culture shock it was to me having always lived in "cities" where there was always a few half-decent bars open until at least midnight or so, and there's at least a few fast food shops open until the wee hours of the morning which is more for being able to not worry about rushing to get food after work and I can take a nap until 9:30/10 and grab a quick bite easily. It'll be a change, but I think the relativity to NYC and Boston will keep me entertained.

That said, I did see a few questionable areas in the West Hartford area, which is where I hope to stay. Obviously I want to stay in walking distance (safely) to the Town Center and Blue Black. Looking on apartments, apartmentguide, trulia, and craigslist, my options seem limited as to whats available for renting with about 800sq ft with a washer/dryer and safe off-street parking. Price isn't an issue as there doesn't seem to be anything out of my range, and I'm willing to pay to live somewhere that I won't hear a neighbor walking around or I won't have to walk around like a mouse or worry that I'm watching an action movie with tons of explosions. Unfortunately from my experience when I lived in one of these old duplexes up north, they're rather 'loud' between your neighbors. Tips?
According to a friend, many of the 20 somethings complaining about Hartford want to move to NY or Boston. Hartford is close enough to those cities but also far enough away that you can't make a night out a regular occurrence without lots of driving.

Honestly, I don't know why you wouldn't love Connecticut over Dallas. Dallas is so cookie-cutter and chain restaurant oriented. There are no real communities just sprawl. There is so much culture in Connecticut, plus the beaches, the hills, the skiing, and the fact that you are smack dab between NY and Boston. Connecticut seems so much more cosmopolitan than Dallas with its very educated population, liberal mindset and tolerant attitude.

Trust me I lived in Atlanta which is practically the twin ugly stepsister to Dallas just with trees.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:30 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,268,007 times
Quote:

I can't comment on the Danbury Pepe's, but i've had Fairfield a half-dozen times and it is still extremely inconsistent.

Funny thing too. A friend that lives in Norwalk told me that Pepe's just sent out COUPONS. And, they're valid at Danbury and Fairfield only.

**Edit to add: Link to the coupons.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM

2,067 posts, read 2,321,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I can't comment on the Danbury Pepe's, but i've had Fairfield a half-dozen times and it is still extremely inconsistent.

Funny thing too. A friend that lives in Norwalk told me that Pepe's just sent out COUPONS. And, they're valid at Danbury and Fairfield only.
Let's hope the one to open in Elmwood this summer holds up the standard!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM

24,642 posts, read 40,220,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
We have found that the Manchester Frank Peepe's is very consistant and very good. We did notice Fairfield to have a problem but then we have not been there in a long time now. Jay

Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM

1,792 posts, read 3,449,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post

I don't think that'll happen with Pepe's. I'm saying that not to be biased, but because I've been to Pepe's at Mohegan Sun a few different times. Whenver I went it was always consistent - in a good way.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 AM

15 posts, read 11,119 times
Quote:
I originally posted here a few months ago:
Relocating to Connecticut - help!

I'm coming from Dallas. I love it there. It has everything I want in an urban setting with 100s of restaurants/bars, but there's countless suburbs that I can drive to on a whim and find something on a drop of a hat. I'm in my late 20s, single, male.

My company is relocating me for my job in the Hartford area. I generally need to be in the general Hartford area probably on a busy week about 3-4 times a week for the most part, and there will be probably many weeks I will probably only need to be in 1-2x a week. I can telecommute the rest of the time.

That said, needing to stay within a 30 minute commute (driving) is not absolutely necessary and I'm willing to live in a reasonable distance (50-75 miles) if necessary so I don't go crazy from boredom. This is especially true after this past week I've been here for work and finally checking out what the towns in the area have to offer.

Now, I'm not extremely needy by any means. I lived in Syracuse a few years, and it was fine. The downtown (Armory Square) was great, and it had tons to offer. It had a great nightlife scene where everything was in a safe walking area. It had food all around town that didn't take long at all to find anything new to eat/drink without the need to use Yelp/Foursquare to find anything. Prior to going there for school, I heard a bunch of bad things but it turned out to be awesome. I was thinking Hartford would be the same. Unfortunately, it isn't turning out to be that case. I spent the whole day exploring between Hartford and New Haven, and all I found was depressed and run down suburbs. Everyone I spoke with in Hartford said, "West Hartford has great stuff."

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but the Blue Black Square that seems to be the only thing is really just a few local shops and a bar or 2. The Irish bar is nice, but it'll get old extremely fast I can tell. The square/town center seems like it could be great, but coming from Dallas it is really nothing more than a strip mall that appears like a nightlife spot (minus any actual nightlife). Is this the biggest citywalk and congregation of young professionals in CT (except for the NYC suburb towns)? I drove through New Haven, and it seemed to live up to its reputation of what I heard about that Yale is gorgeous and everywhere else is a dump.

I know a long commute may be a little stressful or possibly a little pricier for gas, but really I just can't see myself going 'home' to a duplex built in 1920 and counting down the days every day until I can make it down to NYC for the weekend, or get out of town on business. It's extremely disheartening when all I can read online or hear from people locally is they can't wait to move out of the state. I was just sitting at a burger place, and I overheard the waiters talking to each other about how much they can't wait to get out.

Having gone to and stay at Dallas/Fort Worth for a week, and going out almost everyday out there, I can attest to there being more to do in Dallas than there is in CT...OMG, CT is going to bore you to death. There isn't a social scene for young and single people. You will see the same people in one bar as you will in the next, be it Hartford, West Hartford or the like. You might even see them in New Haven, as I have on more than a couple of occassions. even venturing out to Springfield is the same, the same people just have this trending pattern that all follow. in Dallas there were more bars in one block than the three on both sides of one in Hartford's downtown, lol. I loved it out there and the cost of living is cheap. Yes it did look like a new city to me because of all the new housing and stuff. and even more housing that I was told was going to emerge out of there. The only people that love CT are the natives who are pretty much scared of their own shadow and won't leave CT except for vacations. I'm leaving soon as I get a job outside of the state, and I hope it's not next to CT either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or