U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM
 
10 posts, read 21,819 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I originally posted here a few months ago:
Relocating to Connecticut - help!

I'm coming from Dallas. I love it there. It has everything I want in an urban setting with 100s of restaurants/bars, but there's countless suburbs that I can drive to on a whim and find something on a drop of a hat. I'm in my late 20s, single, male.

My company is relocating me for my job in the Hartford area. I generally need to be in the general Hartford area probably on a busy week about 3-4 times a week for the most part, and there will be probably many weeks I will probably only need to be in 1-2x a week. I can telecommute the rest of the time.

That said, needing to stay within a 30 minute commute (driving) is not absolutely necessary and I'm willing to live in a reasonable distance (50-75 miles) if necessary so I don't go crazy from boredom. This is especially true after this past week I've been here for work and finally checking out what the towns in the area have to offer.

Now, I'm not extremely needy by any means. I lived in Syracuse a few years, and it was fine. The downtown (Armory Square) was great, and it had tons to offer. It had a great nightlife scene where everything was in a safe walking area. It had food all around town that didn't take long at all to find anything new to eat/drink without the need to use Yelp/Foursquare to find anything. Prior to going there for school, I heard a bunch of bad things but it turned out to be awesome. I was thinking Hartford would be the same. Unfortunately, it isn't turning out to be that case. I spent the whole day exploring between Hartford and New Haven, and all I found was depressed and run down suburbs. Everyone I spoke with in Hartford said, "West Hartford has great stuff."

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but the Blue Black Square that seems to be the only thing is really just a few local shops and a bar or 2. The Irish bar is nice, but it'll get old extremely fast I can tell. The square/town center seems like it could be great, but coming from Dallas it is really nothing more than a strip mall that appears like a nightlife spot (minus any actual nightlife). Is this the biggest citywalk and congregation of young professionals in CT (except for the NYC suburb towns)? I drove through New Haven, and it seemed to live up to its reputation of what I heard about that Yale is gorgeous and everywhere else is a dump.

I know a long commute may be a little stressful or possibly a little pricier for gas, but really I just can't see myself going 'home' to a duplex built in 1920 and counting down the days every day until I can make it down to NYC for the weekend, or get out of town on business. It's extremely disheartening when all I can read online or hear from people locally is they can't wait to move out of the state. I was just sitting at a burger place, and I overheard the waiters talking to each other about how much they can't wait to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM
 
1,679 posts, read 2,486,175 times
Reputation: 1284
Have you calculated the extra taxes you will pay in ct?

Jesus just promise to vote republican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,812,330 times
Reputation: 5101
First off, please note that there are hundreds of thousands of people who are very happy here and have no plans to leave. I lived in Austin for 15 years before returning to Connecticut and could not be happier.

That having been said, it's not the greatest place for nightlife.

As far as restaurants goes, however, Connecticut is not big on chains with recognizable names from Dallas-- if that's what you're looking for, you're going to be disappointed. There are hundreds upon hundreds of local places that you've never heard of that serve excellent food of every variety and every price range. If you want to get some real Connecticut flavor try Pepe's or Sally's in New Haven for Pizza. In Hartford try Carbone's. Go to the coast to Noank in the spring and have a lobster at Abbott's. This state is TEEMING with good food. You don't even have to look hard.

For a social scene you basically have West Hartford, Hartford, New Haven and Middletown. THere are a number of bars in each area each with a different flavor. I'm not a bar person myself, so I'll let someone else comment on this and help guide you. We don't have an area like Deep Ellum and, in general, you can expect more intimate, quieter experiences.

There are a number of meetup groups for newcomers, younger people and socializing. HYPE, which is part of the Downtown Hartford Alliance I believe is an active group of young professionals with frequent happy hours.

I think the best adviceI can give is not to attempt to recreate Dallas here-- This is a different place with different values, lifestyles, strengths and weaknesses. Look to have the best experience you can here, not an experience you really would better have somewhere else.

Good luck! And for the record, I don't care how you vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random83274 View Post
I originally posted here a few months ago:
Relocating to Connecticut - help!

I'm coming from Dallas. I love it there. It has everything I want in an urban setting with 100s of restaurants/bars, but there's countless suburbs that I can drive to on a whim and find something on a drop of a hat. I'm in my late 20s, single, male.

My company is relocating me for my job in the Hartford area. I generally need to be in the general Hartford area probably on a busy week about 3-4 times a week for the most part, and there will be probably many weeks I will probably only need to be in 1-2x a week. I can telecommute the rest of the time.

That said, needing to stay within a 30 minute commute (driving) is not absolutely necessary and I'm willing to live in a reasonable distance (50-75 miles) if necessary so I don't go crazy from boredom. This is especially true after this past week I've been here for work and finally checking out what the towns in the area have to offer.

Now, I'm not extremely needy by any means. I lived in Syracuse a few years, and it was fine. The downtown (Armory Square) was great, and it had tons to offer. It had a great nightlife scene where everything was in a safe walking area. It had food all around town that didn't take long at all to find anything new to eat/drink without the need to use Yelp/Foursquare to find anything. Prior to going there for school, I heard a bunch of bad things but it turned out to be awesome. I was thinking Hartford would be the same. Unfortunately, it isn't turning out to be that case. I spent the whole day exploring between Hartford and New Haven, and all I found was depressed and run down suburbs. Everyone I spoke with in Hartford said, "West Hartford has great stuff."

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but the Blue Black Square that seems to be the only thing is really just a few local shops and a bar or 2. The Irish bar is nice, but it'll get old extremely fast I can tell. The square/town center seems like it could be great, but coming from Dallas it is really nothing more than a strip mall that appears like a nightlife spot (minus any actual nightlife). Is this the biggest citywalk and congregation of young professionals in CT (except for the NYC suburb towns)? I drove through New Haven, and it seemed to live up to its reputation of what I heard about that Yale is gorgeous and everywhere else is a dump.

I know a long commute may be a little stressful or possibly a little pricier for gas, but really I just can't see myself going 'home' to a duplex built in 1920 and counting down the days every day until I can make it down to NYC for the weekend, or get out of town on business. It's extremely disheartening when all I can read online or hear from people locally is they can't wait to move out of the state. I was just sitting at a burger place, and I overheard the waiters talking to each other about how much they can't wait to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 PM
 
2,704 posts, read 2,477,720 times
Reputation: 1208
Run down suburbs? What towns were you looking at?
I lived in West Hartford right after college and found there was plenty of activity. Plenty of bars, restaurants and the like in West Hartford Center, on Park Road and on Prospect. Plus Hartford was always an option, although not necessarily a great one. And that was before Blue Back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
 
10 posts, read 21,819 times
Reputation: 10
I just keep hearing areas to check out, and I am. However, I'm not finding anything besides small shops that close at 7. If I was married and had kids, these would be great places. However being still relatively young and not knowing anyone, I just can't seem to picture anywhere with a social scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,812,330 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Run down suburbs? What towns were you looking at?
I lived in West Hartford right after college and found there was plenty of activity. Plenty of bars, restaurants and the like in West Hartford Center, on Park Road and on Prospect. Plus Hartford was always an option, although not necessarily a great one. And that was before Blue Back.
I think coming from Dallas, it's easy to confuse run-down and just old.

Dallas has loads of new housing, new apartment communities and big box shopping built in the last 15 years. It gives the city a "newer" albeit cookie cutter appearance. Connecticut is much older and so is our building stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,812,330 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by random83274 View Post
I just keep hearing areas to check out, and I am. However, I'm not finding anything besides small shops that close at 7. If I was married and had kids, these would be great places. However being still relatively young and not knowing anyone, I just can't seem to picture anywhere with a social scene.
What types of things did you do in Dallas? If it's just "go to bars," that can't be replicated with the diversity of entertainment options here.

If you are just trying to meet people, there are loads of social groups to facilitate. Again, it's not Dallas. Enjoy some quiet evenings at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,243,214 times
Reputation: 5219
Maybe you would be better off living in MA closer to Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,570 posts, read 40,130,038 times
Reputation: 6942
You say you lived in Syracuse and loved it but you think Connecticut is rundown??? From my experience, Syracuse is an old city just like Hartford and Nrw Haven. It has a lot to do but not much more than Nw HAven really. I do not know what you expect but I strongly suggest that you rethink coming here. It sounds like anything smaller than Dallas would bore you and that is not what you are going to find here. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Georgia
421 posts, read 732,169 times
Reputation: 456
Have you considered changing employers and finding another job in Dallas? Seriously, if you really like all that Dallas has to offer, I think you are going to have trouble acclimating to CT. Trust me, I know what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top