Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 28,843 times

Advertisements

We're looking to build a small storage shed for garden tools, maybe an 8'x8' on cinder blocks. Does anyone know what the requirements are as far as Zoning? Does Danbury require a permit?

A coworker told me she didn't need a permit for hers because it was under 100sf, but that was 20 years ago. I didn't see anything on the Danbury zoning page that indicated that. It looks to me like it doesn't matter what size the shed is - Danbury requires a permit application, a copy of the septic map, 2 sets of plans, etc. What a hassle. Just another way to get more taxes out of us, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodys4me View Post
We're looking to build a small storage shed for garden tools, maybe an 8'x8' on cinder blocks. Does anyone know what the requirements are as far as Zoning? Does Danbury require a permit?

A coworker told me she didn't need a permit for hers because it was under 100sf, but that was 20 years ago. I didn't see anything on the Danbury zoning page that indicated that. It looks to me like it doesn't matter what size the shed is - Danbury requires a permit application, a copy of the septic map, 2 sets of plans, etc. What a hassle. Just another way to get more taxes out of us, I guess.
Why don't you call city hall?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Yes, call Danbury's Building Department. Chances are you will have to, at the very least, submit a form stating where the shed will be located, as most town's zoning laws don't let you erect a structure (even just a shed) right on your property line. There are usually setbacks you have to abide by; if not, you'll need to get a variance with the Planning & Zoning Dept.

In any event, call the Building Department and they will set you on the right path.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
In our town's website, the nswer to this is found under the Frequently Asked Questions section. You might look there since a lot of people ask this question. Calling the zoning office would also get you the answer. Jay

Old 01-16-2013, 03:28 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
Talk to town hall. My parents wanted to a new shed where the old property was, but the town won't let them because it was too close to the septic system.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
I would suggest doing as ~85% of the people do.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 28,843 times
To 'Stratford's' comment, the property is set far back from the road and a new 64sf structure would not be noticeable unless you actually came down the driveway and walked into our backyard. It's food for thought. Of course, I want to do the right thing, but it is really annoying the amount of paperwork required by the city for a lousy tool shed.

To 'KidYankee's' comment, thank you Captain Obvious. Yes, I could and did call City Hall, however I think many of the questions on this forum could be answered by a phone call or a Google search, but what's nice about this forum is you can hear about the experience of others and get tips and sometimes get an answer faster than picking up the phone. As a matter of fact, when I did call City Hall yesterday, I was put on hold while the woman went to try and find information on shed permits. She didn't have a clue and she wasn't terribly pleasant, but I finally got an answer and, yes, it doesn't matter what size the shed is, you need to provide 2 copies of the plans along with a list of materials, a map of the septic fields, an application for permit, a map of where you plan on putting the shed and a check. I like Stratford's idea more and more.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodys4me View Post
As a matter of fact, when I did call City Hall yesterday, I was put on hold while the woman went to try and find information on shed permits. She didn't have a clue and she wasn't terribly pleasant, but I finally got an answer...
Perfect. Going straight to the source of information is easier than posting on an internet forum, isn't it?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
FYI, seems like at least a few towns I know people live in, say if the shed isn't permanently in the ground, as in cemet footings, it doesn't need a permit.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
smarter guy:

That makes sense, however, Danbury is tough !!!. They've got their shed permit online. As the OP notes, the mounds of paperwork for even a wee, tiny shed, are unbelievable. Over 400 square feet, you have to put in concrete footings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut