U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM

15,744 posts, read 22,020,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
And there is a spillover of Bridgeport students in Trumbull.
That's exactly why I would choose Monroe any day over Trumbull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,822,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's exactly why I would choose Monroe any day over Trumbull.
Wouldn't this happen in Fairfield too?

Sorry, I kind of feel like this is overblown. Do these few students somehow poison the school system for the rest?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM

14,746 posts, read 17,977,138 times
They are very close. You could also consider Orange. About the same drive to Bridgeport as Monroe and the schools rank highest out of all you mentioned (though it's arguable they're "better"). You could also grab the train in Milford, which would probably be a quicker commute than Monroe to B-port to Stamford.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 PM

15,744 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Wouldn't this happen in Fairfield too?

Sorry, I kind of feel like this is overblown. Do these few students somehow poison the school system for the rest?
Fairfield is VERY strict with this, and Trumbull is not. Fairfield and Stratford regularly investigate these residency issues. There have been no investigations on this in Trumbull. Also due to lower housing costs, the town of Trumbull is likely to have relatives and family members of those in Bridgeport who can offer up their address.

I'm not pulling this out of my you know what - a close friend of mine is very political in the town. It is a huge problem in Trumbull schools.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,261,398 times
Quote:
Monroe and Trumbull schools are comparable, both very good school districts, with numerous family activities. Trumbull has more of a dense feel in many areas, with lot sizes of 1/4-1/2 acre. Monroe has 1 acre zoning throughout the town.
Perhaps Monroe has rewritten their regs for 1 acre to apply to new construction? I'm certain that there are plenty of existing homes on <acre in Monroe. Anyway, i do agree that Monroe isn't as dense as Trumbull.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,287,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Perhaps Monroe has rewritten their regs for 1 acre to apply to new construction? I'm certain that there are plenty of existing homes on <acre in Monroe. Anyway, i do agree that Monroe isn't as dense as Trumbull.
No, not "plenty", just a few areas have less than one acre zoning, this is not new. Monroe is an old farming community. Oxford has similar zoning laws, with 1.5 acre zoning, although as with Monroe there are a few homes on smaller lots. Some cluster developments in Monroe have tiny 1/4 or so acre lots, a few areas bordering Easton have smaller lots, and a few other, very isolated homes have smaller lots. But the vast majority is one or more acres, if you do a home search on Raveis etc. you'll see that larger lots are the norm. In fact many areas are zoned for 2 or more acres, I'm trying to find specifics.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 01-20-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 7,612 times
Thanks for all the helpful responses. We're going to add Orange and possibly Redding to our list of possibilities. Is Redding a very wealthy area? We're looking in the $400-500 price range. I want to be in a good community, but also don't want to feel like our neighbors are "out of our league" financially. My husband doesn't understand this reasoning, but as a stay at home mom, I want to develop at least some friendships with families in a similar SES group.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,287,879 times
Orange and Redding are a definite possibility, although the commute from Orange to Stamford might be a bit long. Redding is rather affluent, but you could certainly find something in your price range, although it might need a little updating. Redding is rather rural by FFC standards, though. You should visit all the above options to get a feel for each town's character, as they are all very different from one another.

SCR, I found a link that put Monroe's property zones into perspective. Travelbug, you might find each town's description helpful, too.

Monroe Real Estate - Homes For Sale | Connecticut Realtor

Monroe is very protective of its rural feeling. About 45% of the land is one-acre zoning, 25% is two-acre zoning, while 17% is three-acre. There is still land available for homeowners who want to build. There are only a few Condominium complexes in the Town.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM

14,746 posts, read 17,977,138 times
Redding is expensive, your money won't go quite as far. It's a beautiful rural town though. Not much going on though, and you'll have to drive for a lot of conveniences. Trumbull is 2nd most expensive, Monroe/Orange/Newtown are roughly the same. If anything, Orange might be slightly cheaper.

As far as commute time, Orange to Milford train 14 minutes, Milford train to Stamford: Express arriving at 8:50 35 minutes. Total not including to/from station time 49 minutes

Monroe to Bridgeport 20 minutes (without traffic), same train 24 minutes. Total 44 minutes.

Very small difference, and if you count that there's more stop/go and traffic within Bridgeport, it's very close. Also, the Milford station is just... nicer.

Travel time from Orange to Bridgeport station is exactly the same as from Monroe, and since you get off at the Route 8 exit of the Merritt - very unlikely to encounter traffic.

All these are computed from the center of the respective towns, so of course they could vary.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,261,398 times
Quote:
No, not "plenty", just a few areas have less than one acre zoning, this is not new.
OK, i'll rephrase then. There are plenty of homes in Stevenson and Upper Stepney that are on less than an acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or