U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM

15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Unless you're wealthy, working in Stamford and wanting things like good schools, an easy commute, home ownership is such a hassle.

You ever consider Fairfield? Train commute from there would be pretty easy.
The thought of moving again has me very stressed, lol.

It's very tough because, like the OP, we're not millionaires so we can't afford to drop $1m+ on a house in Darien, but we don't want to have an awful commute either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM

14,713 posts, read 17,933,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The thought of moving again has me very stressed, lol.

It's very tough because, like the OP, we're not millionaires so we can't afford to drop $1m+ on a house in Darien, but we don't want to have an awful commute either.
I wonder if companies that choose Stamford fully realize how difficult they make it for even upper middle class families to settle down and have a decent commute.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I wonder if companies that choose Stamford fully realize how difficult they make it for even upper middle class families to settle down and have a decent commute.
I don't think they care. Also many of these companies have relocated from Manhattan, where it was even more expensive.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Well, at least there public transportation is prevalent. Ah well.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Well, at least there public transportation is prevalent. Ah well.
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. CT, even along the Metro North corridor, is very car-centric.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 AM

24,568 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not really. It would require a drive to New Haven or Milford, catching the train, and waiting at the station 17 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the afternoon due to the company shuttle schedule. It is a lot of hassle. Driving is absolutely out of the question. It will take her 1.5 hours + each way daily during rush hour.

I'm very much an advocate of sacrificing square footage to live close to work.
Shoreline East trains connect directly with the trains from New Haven into Stamford. I believe they literally stop right next to the Stamford train so you just have to walk across the platform to continue your trip. Still it could be a long trip. I remember you once looked in Fairfield. I know how much you like where you live now but it may be time to bite the bullet and move closer to Stamford. Good luck with this. Jay

Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Shoreline East trains connect directly with the trains from New Haven into Stamford. I believe they literally stop right next to the Stamford train so you just have to walk across the platform to continue your trip. Still it could be a long trip. I remember you once looked in Fairfield. I know how much you like where you live now but it may be time to bite the bullet and move closer to Stamford. Good luck with this. Jay
The shoreline east trains have very limited service (I think one express each way to Stamford). A little convenient but still a long ride.

Also want to apologize to the OP - I didn't mean to turn this into a "me" thread, but we are in similar situations with regards to a Stamford commute.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 7,605 times
Thanks for the many helpful responses! We took a drive through Redding and is beautiful as the area is, it just feels too rural and far from conveniences. We continue to lean toward Monroe, but will definitely consider Orange and Fairfield. Many of the Fairfield homes in our price range ($400-$500) are either too small or on tiny lots. We love the Fairfield University area and will keep our eye on homes in that neighborhood.

We would love to consider Newtown, but fear the commute will be too much. My husband is planning some evening drives from the Bridgeport train to Newtown to gauge the commute. He would probably leave by 6am in the morning, so hopefully the morning commute to Bridgeport would be tolerable. He's loves taking the train, especially the chance to read.

Thanks for the the links to CMT/CAPT and SAT scores. We're feeling comfortable with any of the districts mentioned: Monroe, Fairfield, Trumbull, Orange, and Netwown. Schools are a top priority, but not the only one. Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Newtown is definitely the longest commute out of all those towns. 25 isn't terrible in the morning, but can move slowly in parts. It's smart to do some test runs for the commute, maybe try a few areas to see how it is in different towns.

Newtown is beautiful, but I'm not sure it offers enough vs. the other towns to make the commute worth it. Of course, that is ultimately up to you!

Fairfield is a terrific town with a lot going on. It is the most expensive of the bunch, but would be the best commute by far.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM

92 posts, read 166,867 times
@ Stylo, jay, et al: how does a Fairfield to Stamford commute compare to a Ridgefield to Stamford commute (ridgefield, im familiar with; fairfield, i have no clue??). I'm thinking they may (possibly?) be comparable, with perhaps a slight edge to Ridgefield, at least an edge for commuting-time consistency's sake? Only reason I'm mention Ridgefield is because the OP looked at Redding-- if Redding is within the budget, Ridgefield should be too, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or