U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,261,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I thought that sounded off, so I looked it up. When you search "Ridgefield, CT" on C-D, it only gives you stats for the downtown area and along 33 toward Branchville, which is the most built up area in the town. If you search by zip code 06877, it gives you the correct stats for the entire town. Ridgefield's pop density is 707 and NC 904. This is also pretty similar to the stats given on Wiki (difference of about 200).

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ridgef...nnecticut.html

http://www.city-data.com/zips/06877.html
OK. I inputted 06840 and the number drops from 904 to 885.

But like i said earlier, we're just splitting hairs here. They're both very low density for FFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM

24,625 posts, read 40,196,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
I get my conclusion from US NEWs AP data of both schools.

New Canaan High School in NEW CANAAN, CT | Test Scores | US News

Ridgefield High School in RIDGEFIELD, CT | Test Scores | US News

Ridgefield beats New Canaan is almost every metric -> participation rate 61% > 48%, passing rate 93% > 89%, exams per test taker 3.5 > 3.
Sorry but New Canaan High beats Ridgefield High in the Connecticut Academic Performance Tests overall and in all categories but writing. Check the link below for more information. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,967,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry but New Canaan High beats Ridgefield High in the Connecticut Academic Performance Tests overall and in all categories but writing. Check the link below for more information. Jay

Why do the CEDaR reports stop at 2009-2010?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM

15,744 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Quote:

Yep.

That being said, it doesn't mean NC High is better. Ridgefield schools are top notch as well.

That's like saying which car is better; Mercedes or Acura.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,967,562 times
More like Mercedes or BMW. Acura isn't on par as a near luxury marquee with the other two.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 AM

15,744 posts, read 22,020,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
More like Mercedes or BMW. Acura isn't on par as a near luxury marquee with the other two.
That was my point...New Canaan is a lot wealthier than Ridgefield.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,287,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Why do the CEDaR reports stop at 2009-2010?
You just need to check a different source. Both NC and Ridgefield have some of the top-performing schools in the entire state with very impressive test scores. Click the tab "test scores" for a breakdown.

New Canaan High School, New Canaan CT School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

Ridgefield High School, Ridgefield CT School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM

673 posts, read 1,234,833 times
Quote:

The question is which school is more pressure cooker. Which test do u think generates more pressure? AP scores used in university application taken by high achieving students or CAPT that is taken by all students? Aceing the capt does nothing for your university application.

There are proportionally more Ridgefield students who opt to take AP AND they actually have a higher pass rate in AP than NC students. Sounds like a more competitive environment to me for sure. APs challenge students a lot more on hard work, time management and intellect that is why it's optional but almost mandatory if you want to stand a good chance to get in a prestigious university. CAPT on the other hand is mandatory for all students. Totally different animals.

Last edited by Konig1985; 01-23-2013 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM

92 posts, read 167,071 times
I agree with Stylo et al's suggestion of Ridgefield. It's a Beautiful town and in my opinion not any less nice than New Canaan is, and again IMO,a million times more "comfortable" than it. Schools there are as top notch, and if you wanted to try to compare and contrast them, it would be a futile task full of lots of hair splitting. And in this instance, based on your commute, I truly think it's 6 of one, with the scales tipped slightly in Ridgefield's favor. NC commute to Rye ON A GOOD DAY takes probably the same amount of time as Ridgefild to Rye via 684 on an average day. I can't speak to exact commuting times because I don't live/commute from Ridgefield. I do however live 2 towns north (in New Fairfield) and it takes me 45 minutes to get to Rye. So my guess from Ridgefield would = 35 minutes

Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 PM

65,078 posts, read 47,417,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle423 View Post
I agree with Stylo et al's suggestion of Ridgefield. It's a Beautiful town and in my opinion not any less nice than New Canaan is, and again IMO,a million times more "comfortable" than it. Schools there are as top notch, and if you wanted to try to compare and contrast them, it would be a futile task full of lots of hair splitting. And in this instance, based on your commute, I truly think it's 6 of one, with the scales tipped slightly in Ridgefield's favor. NC commute to Rye ON A GOOD DAY takes probably the same amount of time as Ridgefild to Rye via 684 on an average day. I can't speak to exact commuting times because I don't live/commute from Ridgefield. I do however live 2 towns north (in New Fairfield) and it takes me 45 minutes to get to Rye. So my guess from Ridgefield would = 35 minutes
In a way I'm glad I was the first to bring it up, but didnt expect the whos better than who back and forth posts. lol As I showed the OP he might benefit from a shorter commute by moving north more and I agree with the Ridgefield pick over NC. New Canaan is so overrated and I've worked in that town many times. People arent as friendly as northern Fairfield ie: Ridgefield.

Question for Shoremen. Whats the persons per square mile of the county you are in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut