U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM

15,741 posts, read 21,986,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I hope she makes a million bucks a year to put up with that crap! I'd go insane...
She usually works from home, but with a new project she will be going in 4-5 days a week. It could last a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM

637 posts, read 763,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siri View Post
Loved reading your 6-month report! Very generous in detail and spirit.

Welcome to the land of grinders, too. Wonder if you ever called them that anywhere else you lived.
Loved reading the report as well. I miss living back where I grew up very, very much. Connecticut is pretty incredible.

"Grinder" is popping up in North Carolina (especially Charlotte) and in southern and central VA (Richmond).

Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM

637 posts, read 763,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Even DC is worse.
NOTHING as bad as the traffic in suburban Virginia or Atlanta, GA. N O T H I N G.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,270,326 times
[quote=KeninWA;27853506]Hi Again Everyone!

• Driving: Its different here than anywhere else. People tail gate nonstop here, people drive on lane lines, and there are hundreds of highways and tons of ways to get anywhere in this state. There are rumors of traffic, but I have yet to see it anywhere except maybe a little slowdown during rush hour (if you come from a true metro-area you will snicker at the complains, however I don’t spend any time in FFC so it could be bad down there because of NYC).

I was stopped on I-5 south of Seattle by Washington State Police. They had their invisible white SUV. I was stopped for following too closely. Since I had a rental with Oregon plates, I think he thought he had a local who knew better. I showed him my Rhode island license and he checked it out. He came back and told me to allow up to 4-5 car lengths on I-5 between me and the car in front. I told him I could do that, but I just wasn't used to it. He gave me a warning. If we followed those rules we would need at least two more lanes on all the interstates in New England. But, they do have low insurance rates in Washington.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM

35 posts, read 61,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninWA View Post

• Food: Is freakin awesome here. No doubt about it. We are so happy with every restaurant experience we have had, except some bad Asian places once in a while. Italian, Spanish, seafood, all of it is good. Stunning lack of cart/truck/etc culture though, but its supplemented by the restaurants. Although, pizza/grinder places can be somewhat spotty.
Hehe I agree. Haven't been to a bad Asian place yet though.... hmm... It is true that there are carts/trucks around Yale hospital though. And near Long Wharf in New Haven. I'd recommend Grand Apizza in New Haven, awesome pizza. Also, Modern Pizza which is in New Haven too. Oh, and a place called Bar which is in New Haven as well lol. You'll thank me later ^_^ lol

Quote:
• People: Connecticutters for the most part seem to be nice. I think the rumor is that they are a bit rude or stuck up but that has not been my experience. A lot of people do seem very much stuck in their ways (steady habit state maybe?), taking the same routes everyday to work, going to the same bakery for cakes as their parents, eating at the same restaurants, etc. Not used to that, but that isn’t a critique, just an observation.
The rumor I personally believe is true, just give it time Of course not everyone is the same however and you will find good people. I can't exactly speak for my parents as they themselves didn't grow up in CT, just moved here later on lol.

Quote:
• Rents/Apartments/Locations: DO YOUR RESEARCH. Holy geeze this place is spottier than anywhere I have ever been. One street will be beautiful and safe, then the next will be abandoned old colonials with people wandering around at 1 pm on a Wednesday. You cannot just ‘pick a town’ and live there, it doesn’t work, and the best deals cannot be found on Craigslist. The best thing to do is decided a place you like to be and then drive around looking for signs, old school. We just moved into a great place in Collinsville from the 1800’s that we love. Prices are comparable to west coast cities, if you want something nice 1 bedroom you’ll be spending 700-1000.
I agree with this too

Quote:
• Location: Connecticut is great if you love to travel around. It is a beautiful state and gives you access to some of the most fantastic places I’ve ever been to. Vermont is awesome and an hour and a half away (although some CTers say its like 3 hours), Maine is beautiful, Boston, RI, New York, D.C., Philly, QUEBEC (I love Quebec City so much), I mean damn, you can go anywhere from here and its all driveable.
That's one thing I absolutely love about CT

I'm glad you both are enjoying your experiences here

Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 AM

14,715 posts, read 17,933,283 times
I've definitely had a lot of bad Asian in CT. All these new "fusion" places do Japanese, Chinese and Thai equally bad.

That said, I've had some amazing Asian too. Any of the Tengda's, Momo Sushi in Milford, Miso in New Haven, Miya's in New Haven, Rice Pot in New Haven, Lao Sze Chuan in Milford, Little Tokyo in Norwalk, York Street Noodle House in New Haven, Pho Boston in West Hartford, Thai Awesome in Hamden, just to name a few.

As a rule, the places that focus on ONE cuisine are usually the best.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM

15,741 posts, read 21,986,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
NOTHING as bad as the traffic in suburban Virginia or Atlanta, GA. N O T H I N G.
The Cross Bronx Expy. Hands down.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM

4,051 posts, read 2,928,672 times
Although my own perception, but no stat, after living in the CT and NY, is that CT drivers are probably the most gentile ones in the tri-state. Of course, as a NYer, we think that Jersey drivers are the worst, and no toll however high is sufficient punishment for them. I think Merritt is the worst to drive when jammed.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,962,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The Cross Bronx Expy. Hands down.
The Van Wyck and Belt Parkway are equally bad, if not worse.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 AM

119 posts, read 146,664 times
You are right. The Belt is TERRIBLE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut