U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM

17 posts, read 22,181 times

Advertisements

I also just moved to CT in November from Florida. It's been a big adjustment, but so far, so good. I agree with the OP on pretty much everything he said. While I do miss Florida (especially since our furnace was turned off last night to be repaired today...I was FREEZING), Connecticut really does have so much to offer. I was not excited to move here at all, but now that I'm here, I feel like I'll never run out of things to do. And I can't wait to experience all 4 seasons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM

4,096 posts, read 2,972,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
The Van Wyck and Belt Parkway are equally bad, if not worse.
With Van Wyck, at least there are other options, albeit not very good. With Belt not as much, but yes, you can try Rockaway Blvd, Eastern Parkway, Sunrise Blvd. But with CT's highways, what options do I have northbound from NYC, trying to reach anywhere along the shore? At least right-lane on 95N moves 5mph.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM

35 posts, read 61,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The Cross Bronx Expy. Hands down.
+1 ITA. I've never seen traffic as bad at the Cross Bronx.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM

15,848 posts, read 22,163,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
But with CT's highways, what options do I have northbound from NYC, trying to reach anywhere along the shore? At least right-lane on 95N moves 5mph.
This is exactly the issue with CT, and I can't stress it enough. We have no more than 5 lanes traveling north (95 and 15 combined) and 5 lanes traveling south. In California, there are so many other routes you can take. That's very true when going through NYC as well. But in CT, we're very much restricted.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,987,958 times
Quote:
This is exactly the issue with CT, and I can't stress it enough. We have no more than 5 lanes traveling north (95 and 15 combined) and 5 lanes traveling south. In California, there are so many other routes you can take. That's very true when going through NYC as well. But in CT, we're very much restricted.
We also have trains that parallel the same route. 684 to 84 (or even I-90) are also parallel tracks to the larger destinations (such as Boston, Cape etc). Most folks are not heading to the CT shore, but are programmed to drive that route.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM

15,848 posts, read 22,163,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
We also have trains that parallel the same route. 684 to 84 (or even I-90) are also parallel tracks to the larger destinations (such as Boston, Cape etc). Most folks are not heading to the CT shore, but are programmed to drive that route.
For most people commuting within Fairfield and New Haven Counties, 84/684 isn't a viable option, largely because most commute to Stamford/Norwalk. Re Metro North, imagine how god awful it would be if we didn't have that option?!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM

14,853 posts, read 18,141,618 times
More people should use 84 for the Cape.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM

4,096 posts, read 2,972,267 times
Quote:
Re Metro North, imagine how god awful it would be if we didn't have that option?!
So true. Without it, FFC might not exist as we know it. I hope investments are made very soon in even expanding / improving this corridor. Even points further East. I remember a decade ago I might be the sole passenger on Shoreline East's car. Now trains are full. Even on weekends, there are plenty of people who use them. Newer stations also helped it seems.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 AM

15 posts, read 11,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
So great to hear your follow-up and that you're enjoying it here. Spring is so beautiful---the trees will be fully leafed out by Mother's day-----agree that we are spoiled by the variety and quality of restaurants here. Have you been to New Haven? Lots of history and good food!
Join freecycle for free stuff-----I've gotten rid of stuff that's too good to trash, and gotten a few things also.
Live Irish music---The Old Corner Cafe in Naugatuck used to have it, also there's an Irish Dance Studio in Naugatuck that performs around the area here. St. Patrick's Day in CT will knock your socks off, it's so over the top--no parades (that I know of) but everyone celebrates it.
Keep having fun!!
Actually, there's a St. Patrick's Day Parade in Hartford that's off the wall. ...love it,every year...

Old 08-10-2015, 04:29 AM

84 posts, read 54,873 times
Although this post was 2013 & it is now 2015, thank you. I am originally from New London and have been going back and forth about returning to the Niantic area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut