Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post
Their is a Kimberly Clarke plant in New Milford. I would say alot of folks probably work in Danbury & Waterbury.
I was employed there 14 years (K-C). All signs point to a future closing, they already shut down the Fem-care dept and all Huggies diapers are now manufactured elsewhere. Shipping/distribution has been outsourced as well, maintenence has been cut back 2/3 since 2001. Basically they just manufacture the tissue paper and make their Kleenex. They finally won over the state to begin an energy co-generation plant on site. Electric cost at the mill is roughly 1.2 million a month! This may mean they still at least have a foot in the door if the mother ship in Texas says OK to the energy plant.
Anyhow, regarding New Milford and employment. Manufacturing has all but left the area and what was once (1970 pop of 12,000) a small blue collar town is morphing into a white collar bedroom town of nearly 30,000 folks. The downtown profited from this, and has really had quite a facelift. Health care and education are probably the top employers in the area. Numerous supermarkets, Walmart and Home Dope are big employers. Food service industry, Fed Ex - UPS & USPS have large depots. Many folks own small business. A lot of folks are employed in Somers NY (IBM-PepsiCo) and various large manufacturing plants in Danbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkkr View Post
There are really two distinct types of people living in New Milford - half would enjoy an Andy Warhol art show, a play or an opera, and the other half would watch Dukes of Hazzard reruns until someone told them it's past milking time, all the while the ends of their number 3 Dale Earnhardt stickers were curling on their '73 Camaros or Firebirds.
I enjoyed this lol . The descedants of the original 12,000 from 1970 no doubt need to purchase new #3 stickers for sure! The town still has two distinct flavors. Farms actually still operate especially on the northern borders with Washington & Kent. And from these farms, look around and you see the 5 BR cookie cutter McMansions in the upper $600,000 range.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:22 PM

72 posts, read 355,974 times
I'm sure someone will take offense at my commentary, but I am serious when I say most New Milfordites have a sense of humor about these things and really do have a nice town.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 AM

333 posts, read 467,567 times
Quote:
I'm sure someone will take offense at my commentary, but I am serious when I say most New Milfordites have a sense of humor about these things and really do have a nice town.
I know what you mean.

I agree that the people in New Milford are one of two - cosmopolitan and classy or NASCARish with pick-up trucks. Not a bad thing as they mix well together there. Every last person I've met from New Mil, both cosmo and those driving the pick-ups, are incredibly down to earth, sincere and for some reason, always prove themselves helpful to anyone. I know many fine folks from New Milford and whether they live in Gaylordsville (pretty rundown) or in a mansion in the hills, they're all just really friendly. That's why I love New Milford.

Milford has more of a fast-paced, New Yorkish feel, though not snobby by any means.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 AM

2 posts, read 14,276 times
Wow, the town sure sounds nice....and I love the idea of a mix of cultures! I guess I'm one of those cosmo people.....My family and I now live in NYC and want affordable housing and a good school system. I'm a freelance photographer, but i'm willing to change careers in order to gain positives lifestyle-wise. It's scary to change, but I know I don't want to raise my kids here in the city! Are there any photo studios in New Milford? (What was the Al Sharpton thing? )

Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 PM

72 posts, read 355,974 times
Stantwan,
Sharpton showed up to march when a cop was accused of killing a convicted felon on the roadside as they wrestled. I think the cop was convicted of manslaughter, though the felon was armed with a knife. It was questionable action by the policeman, but in the line of duty - so very controversial. I think the family of the victim sued and made out pretty well aside from losing their felonious relative.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantwan View Post
Wow, the town sure sounds nice....and I love the idea of a mix of cultures! I guess I'm one of those cosmo people.....My family and I now live in NYC and want affordable housing and a good school system. I'm a freelance photographer, but i'm willing to change careers in order to gain positives lifestyle-wise. It's scary to change, but I know I don't want to raise my kids here in the city! Are there any photo studios in New Milford? (What was the Al Sharpton thing? )
Hi, I am a fellow photographer(serious ameteur) However you sound like a pro making a living from it. ( I-R-jealous) . Not much going on with photo studios immedietly in New Milford. A few small, independantly owned "portrait" studios thats all. I know of many other professionals who reside in the area who belong to the local photography clubs. You can definitely live here and make $$ at it for sure. Fun career, Im slowly headed that way myself.
Ughh, the Sharpton/Scott Smith deal. Long story! In short, young kid cop inexperienced on a force with lousy small town rep. Ex-con-felon-and WANTED for deportation punk with a history of violence and armed situations. They tried to make a racist deal of it when sharpton became involved. Not the case, a tragic mistake and poor judgement used by an inexperienced cop (a kid himself) scared half to death..
I feel bad for all involved, the felons grandfather is a real nice fella-very kind person. The felons mom (Pearl) is somewhat mildly handicapped and once the media got her to speak for the TV cameras the Sharpton deal fizzled away quickly.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,316 times
Well there is a big difference between these 2 towns. Not only are they a good 30min drive from each other they are in 2 different regions of connecticut. Meaning that Milford is on the shoreline with a considerable population in a mini city atmosphere. Where as New Milford is a small town up in the 'burbs and very sparse and woodsy.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,005 times
I was researching my family tree and I know a bunch of my relatives lived in Milford, CT. Is there a lot of historical sites there? My (back many) great grandparents are: George Clark, Deborah Gold, Jerusha Clark, Thomas Baldwin, Sarah Baldwin, and John Woodruff (Sr. & Jr.), Samuel Woodruff, Ann Nettleton, Mary Platt, Joseph Platt, Mary Kellogg Etc.. All of them are were either born or died in Milford, CT way back a few hundreds of years ago. I was curious as to historical sites so I could check out the location since so many of my relatives were originally there. Thanks in advance!
~Laura

Old 12-02-2007, 10:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Milford is a tough commute to Manhattan, and New Milford would be equally difficult. Milford has a metro-north station, but trains aren't as frequent as Stamford.

While New Milford is rural and quaint, there is an heir of oddness in that for a town of roughly 30,000, they've had way more than their fair share of seriously heinous crimes (murder) in the last 10 years, though I'd consider it a very safe town, but a poor reputation in this area. (Three of these incidents were national news stories - one involving Al Sharpton.)

While it is unfair to infer these incidents reflect the quality of life in New Milford - they were very bizarre for a town of this size and are worth noting to someone considering living there.

There are really two distinct types of people living in New Milford - half would enjoy an Andy Warhol art show, a play or an opera, and the other half would watch Dukes of Hazzard reruns until someone told them it's past milking time, all the while the ends of their number 3 Dale Earnhardt stickers were curling on their '73 Camaros or Firebirds.

There's an old joke:

Did you know the toothbrush was invented in New Milford? If it was invented anywhere else, it'd be called the teethbrush.

Seriously though, New Milford is close to skiing, has Candlewood Lake, a nice golf course, a nice New England downtown, affordable houses, great scenery, a brand new high school and people with a sense of humor about the negatives. It's a good place to live and raise a family.
New Milford is much colder in winter than milford...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut