U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,409 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I will be in the area working at Hartford Hospital on a temporary basis. I have to be within 30 minutes of the hospital when on call. Will this be an issue if I find an apartment in Glastonbury? I don't know how heavy the traffic to cross into Hartford gets. In some cities I've been to crossing bridges into larger areas causes quite a bit of traffic (i.e. San Francisco). Thanks in advance for your help!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 PM
 
19 posts, read 25,240 times
Reputation: 22
you will be fine. Take rt 3 to 91 North. avoid 84 during rush hour
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Live in NY State, work in CT
8,833 posts, read 14,243,009 times
Reputation: 3250
When I was in the Hartford area on a temporary basis myself (3 months) in the summer of 2009 I rented a room on the Vernon/Manchester line and crossed that bridge daily. There was a little traffic, but compared to bridge traffic I've seen in NYC, Philly or San Fran it was nothing.

Keep in mind part of what produces traffic on bridges in those other 3 cities is waiting at tollbooths, no toll on the bridges into Hartford. I collect old maps and I believe back in the 70s they did charge a 25c toll on the bridge from Glastonbury since I see some road maps from that era noting that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,594 posts, read 40,159,475 times
Reputation: 6951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason? View Post
you will be fine. Take rt 3 to 91 North. avoid 84 during rush hour
I would stay on Route 2 right into downtown. It takes you right to Columbus Boulevard by Constitution Plaza. Take a left and follow Columbus right to the hospital campus.

A lot of people in Glastonbury work at Hartford Hospital. The only times it will take you more than 15 minutes is when the road is closed down and that rarely happens.

There use to be tolls on the Putnam Bridge and the Charter Oak Bridge. Those were removed when the state removed all tolls in the state back in the early 80's. Jay
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Live in NY State, work in CT
8,833 posts, read 14,243,009 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

There use to be tolls on the Putnam Bridge and the Charter Oak Bridge. Those were removed when the state removed all tolls in the state back in the early 80's. Jay
Thanks for the info/clarification Jay. Also, another example of tolls vs. no tolls affecting bridge traffic, I didn't think of Boston in my last post. Lots of traffic for the tolled tunnel to Logan Airport but really not too bad over say the free bridges to/from Cambridge. In many ways the Hartford/Glastonbury bridges are similar to the latter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM
 
3,161 posts, read 7,887,438 times
Reputation: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would stay on Route 2 right into downtown. It takes you right to Columbus Boulevard by Constitution Plaza. Take a left and follow Columbus right to the hospital campus.

A lot of people in Glastonbury work at Hartford Hospital. The only times it will take you more than 15 minutes is when the road is closed down and that rarely happens.
I agree on the route but the time all depends where in Glastonbury you are. I am out near East Glastonbury and it takes me WAY more than 15 minutes during typical morning rush hour. More like 30 minutes, and that is not taking accidents or weather into consideration. A few drops of rain, never mind snow, and the commute increases by 10-15 minutes (unfortunately I am not joking). Glastonbury is HUGE area-wise and what may be true for the Naubuc area doesn't hold true for the rest of the town. Route 2 is generally unpleasant from Exit 8 (or before) up to the 84/91 split at the end from 7:15-ish until 8:30 am.

Edited to add: I just realized your 30 minute time frame has to do with being on call. You should be fine if you either A. live closer to the Rt. 2/3 interchange and not South or East Glastonbury or B. If you don't have to travel during the morning rush.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,594 posts, read 40,159,475 times
Reputation: 6951
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree on the route but the time all depends where in Glastonbury you are. I am out near East Glastonbury and it takes me WAY more than 15 minutes during typical morning rush hour. More like 30 minutes, and that is not taking accidents or weather into consideration. A few drops of rain, never mind snow, and the commute increases by 10-15 minutes (unfortunately I am not joking). Glastonbury is HUGE area-wise and what may be true for the Naubuc area doesn't hold true for the rest of the town. Route 2 is generally unpleasant from Exit 8 (or before) up to the 84/91 split at the end from 7:15-ish until 8:30 am.

Edited to add: I just realized your 30 minute time frame has to do with being on call. You should be fine if you either A. live closer to the Rt. 2/3 interchange and not South or East Glastonbury or B. If you don't have to travel during the morning rush.
This is true. Glastonbury is a pretty big town area-wise. I was assuming a comute from the center of town which is closer than East Glastonbury. The OP does not give much information on where they plan on living or the type of housing they are looking for. Still the commute from Glastonbury should not be outside their time limits. Jay
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,724 posts, read 17,955,593 times
Reputation: 3333
It should be within 30 minutes from any spot in Glastonbury.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM
 
19 posts, read 25,240 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree on the route but the time all depends where in Glastonbury you are. I am out near East Glastonbury and it takes me WAY more than 15 minutes during typical morning rush hour. More like 30 minutes, and that is not taking accidents or weather into consideration. A few drops of rain, never mind snow, and the commute increases by 10-15 minutes (unfortunately I am not joking). Glastonbury is HUGE area-wise and what may be true for the Naubuc area doesn't hold true for the rest of the town. Route 2 is generally unpleasant from Exit 8 (or before) up to the 84/91 split at the end from 7:15-ish until 8:30 am.

Edited to add: I just realized your 30 minute time frame has to do with being on call. You should be fine if you either A. live closer to the Rt. 2/3 interchange and not South or East Glastonbury or B. If you don't have to travel during the morning rush.

For MOST of glastonbury, Rt 3 is the easiest way scross the river. once across the river the driving options to avoid traffic multiply.

With the Rt 2 to 84 method you front load your traffic on Rt 2 then the bridge only to then face downtown street traffic into Barry Square area.

With Rt 3 to 91 the first real traffic you will face is on 91 N as it gets closer to the city. on a bad traffic day or at a bad time due to weather you can jump off 91 and several places and take Sileas Deane or any number of city streets the last couple of miles.

The traffic from RT 2 into downtown across the bridge is always going to be an issue while 3 to 91 is going to be pretty smooth most of the way. and if you hit a delay it will be only when you are close to work already.

Cheers!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top