U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM

5,541 posts, read 8,199,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
I think the most significant difference is that Holland Hill seems to be lower ranked than Osborne & Riverfield.
I have no doubt that it is. It has a lower overall socioeconomic profile than either of those schools. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't offer a good education.

You need to consider the options within your budget, and decide what's most important to you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM

24,625 posts, read 40,208,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I have no doubt that it is. It has a lower overall socioeconomic profile than either of those schools. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't offer a good education.

You need to consider the options within your budget, and decide what's most important to you.
I agree. Those other schools serve some fairly wealthy neighborhoods. They are not as diverse. One thing about Holland Hill is that it would expose your children to a wider range of kids from different socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. That could give them a different perspective growing up. We sent my kids to a similar school and they learned early that not everyone was as well off as they were or came from the same background. Jay

Old 02-02-2013, 12:24 PM

284 posts, read 424,578 times
Does anybody know a website that ranks schools according to actual results (as opposed to greatschools, which is reviewer based ranking)? Thanks.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Personally, I would go by the results of the Connecticut Mastery Tests. This is the standardized test to given to all elementary school students in the state and will tell you how the school rates in comparison to others in the state. Now some will say there is more to a school than test scores and that is true, but how does someone know if the school is considered a good school or not other than to compare performance of its students on a standardized test.

The website below gives information on all schools in the state including CMT results. It also shows how the school relates to the overall CMT scores for the district and for the state. If you are still concerned about Holland Hill, I think you can see that the school performs well over the state average on the CMT (there is a table toward the end of the report) and does fairly well in comparison to the district. I am not sure if there is a list anywhere that ranks the schools in a town or in the state but there likely is. Still I am not sure it will tell you anymore than where it falls which will not necessarily tell you if it is good or bad. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Thanks, I will check out that website, although it only goes up to the year 2010. I was looking here: Holland Hill School, Fairfield CT School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com and it shows that 15% of the students at Holland Hill are eligible for discounted/free lunches. I was really surprised by that because while it is cheaper than say the other University area by Mill Plain and North Benson, it's not that cheap so I was surprised that 15% of the population of the neighborhood qualifies.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM

I do not think that going by 2010 data really changes anything. A school's peroformance does not change significantly each year. This should give you an idea of the where the school stands overall.

As for the number of discounted and free lunches, this should not matter either. Holland Hill serves some modest neighborhoods so the amount of free and discounted lunches would be higher than Mill Plain or the University area. IF this is going to bother you, then you really should consider another neighborhood. Jay

Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As for the number of discounted and free lunches, this should not matter either. Holland Hill serves some modest neighborhoods so the amount of free and discounted lunches would be higher than Mill Plain or the University area. IF this is going to bother you, then you really should consider another neighborhood. Jay
The reason why this bothers me is because from my understanding (which could be wrong), free/discounted lunches are given to families that are below modest, but rather almost poverty, no? If that's the case, it concerns me about the neighborhood as a whole since poverty begets crime, etc. etc. Maybe I'm way off base here and I'm certainly not trying to offend, but I just want to be as fully informed as possible before making this very important decision of purchasing a house.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM

I do not think you can equate free/reduced price lunches to crime. All of Fairfield is VERY safe. The reason students are on these programs vary. It could be because their family is large but family income low. They could be from single parent homes or from homes where the parent is disabled. They could be now living with a grandparent who is on a fixed income. None of these mean that this section of Fairfield is unsafe or that there is true poverty there. I have family that went to this school only a few years ago and they were on the free/reduced lunch program for one of these reasons. The only way I could put it to you clearly is that if I personally were moving to Fairfield, I would not hesitate to live in the Holland Hill School district or just about anywhere in Fairfield for that matter. And believe me, I am kind of fussy. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or