U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM

3,542 posts, read 2,702,066 times

Advertisements

It's been almost 10 years since I've searched for a job. Can someone tell me what are the common ways to search now or perhaps some of the popular web sites?

Last time I had to search for a job the newspaper classifieds were still popular and monster.com was becoming popular.

I'm specifically looking for financial services accounting back office type work for hedge funds \ mutual funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 PM

2,766 posts, read 8,849,920 times
I liked using Indeed.com because with one search it searches MANY job websites and company sites. That's how I found my position.

Good Luck in your search.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM

19 posts, read 25,264 times
In Financial services you should look on Indeed as noted above is its probably the best right now from what I hear.

The best way though in Hartford is to go to, or more realistically call Robert Half and Account temps (same company, a division of Blum Shapiro) Robert Half is higher level placement but not exec level, just educated and experienced professional types. They found my first real job in the area when I moved here.
another good one for financial services from what I hear is K-Force In East hartford. I did not care for them, but they place alot of people at the last 2 companies I have worked at.

-it should be noted that my current job was found simply by looking on the company web site.

-I used temp agencies for temp to hire jobs only when I first moved here and needed employment at any level to get by.
J Morrissey & Co got me a few temp roles that kept me and the wife a float, and even hired at MLN until they went Chapter 9
Robert Half got me in the door at ING. After that its been all who I knew and what I have proven in the past combined with company websites.

I have been in a good stable job for a while now, and thats because I targeted the company I wanted to work at and sought out employment here. I suggest you do the same if you can.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM

841 posts, read 1,653,875 times
There is a work/employment section of the forums that will give you some more info and support.

You're right that its different than it used to be; you'll need to use a variety of sources.

-First...still look in free local papers and penny savers. Some small employers still advertise there.
-Then a combination of careerbuilder, monster, indeed (sometimes catches older things, things on company website). You can look on Craigslist but its mostly garbage to get your email for spam, use a separate email address for cl applications.
-check the websites job section of companies you'd want to work at
-create a LinkedIn profile (if you don't have one) and join the groups for your specialties, answer questions in the group areas (if you can), look at the jobs panel. LinkedIn can also give you insight on the person you're interviewing with. Be careful with the settings, it can reveal who's profile you look at, if you leave the setting open tho you'll be able to see if someone at a company you applied to checked you out.
-create a twitter account, follow organizations for your career, companies you worked with, job share profiles, temp agencies, they all share jobs when they're appropriate.
-if you want to do Pinterest you can pin logos for software/skills you're good at, this will help "share your brand" you have to think of yourself as a company being marketed, the more positive info people can find for you the better. If you have a Facebook in your name/same email on your résumé make sure the visible info is appropriate.
-youll learn that taleo and other applications suck...
-if you're not currently employed try to fit the word current into your résumé, companies scan for keywords
-lastly don't be afraid to let people know you're looking for work (careful with this if you're currently employed), many jobs right now are "unadvertised" or begin that way. They're considered grey market jobs bc you need a personal connection to get interviewed.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM

12 posts, read 12,914 times
Jobs search today is definitely more of a social event than before. You have to do the traditional ground search, but you should also network heavily and connect with folks who do what you want to do. For instance: you should mention what you are looking for specifically on a post like this. That gives folks who could be of help and opportunity to help.

Newspaper is still a part of the ground search...but its considered downstream, while networking allows you connect more upstream to you. By the time it has hit a newspaper or website, the job has been shopped around a bit.

Also...check out recruiters. There are some great, very motivated recruiters in the Hartford area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or