Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Then why have you been so focused on finding permanent settlement in a new city if you're just going to come back to CT 5 years down the road?
He has been suffering from a bad case of "the grass is greener somewhere else" syndrome. I suspect he is just begining to realize it is not (i.e. his 2 week vacation discussion). JMHO, Jay

Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
He has been suffering from a bad case of "the grass is greener somewhere else" syndrome. I suspect he is just begining to realize it is not (i.e. his 2 week vacation discussion). JMHO, Jay
I don't believe he has given it enough time to realize it is not. It varies from person to person. Some people prefer Texas, some prefer Connecticut. It depends on the individual's needs and wants.

I know quite a few who left this state and never looked back. I also know people who couldn't wait to move back.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't believe he has given it enough time to realize it is not. It varies from person to person. Some people prefer Texas, some prefer Connecticut. It depends on the individual's needs and wants.

I know quite a few who left this state and never looked back. I also know people who couldn't wait to move back.
I agree with this.

Further to that, every place is what you make of it.

Nobody asks to be born in the city where they were born. You either stay there when you're an adult, or you choose to leave (for whatever reasons).

And sometimes circumstances "force" you to move somewhere. Again, it is what you make of it. I lived in big-city Montreal all of my life. Then I moved to West Hartford, CT. It was a big adjustment, but I adjusted and thrived. I did what was needed of me to form a social circle and a job circle that worked for me. Then my husband got a great job in Worcester, MA. Was I happy about that? No way. I liked what I'd surrounded myself with in West Hartford -- my friends, my work, my home -- but I wasn't going to stop him from his dream job. So we moved. And I adjusted.

My point is that wherever you land, Nep, it becomes what you make of it. You create your own circle of friends and companions. You create your own career path. You create your own destiny, wherever in the world you live. The city itself doesn't make a difference -- it's what you do to make your surroundings work for you and your lifestyle.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There are many things about Charlotte that are indeed better than CT. Cost of living is lower, climate is friendlier, people are friendlier and more approachable, there are more people in my age group, and the gay community is larger. And plenty of new construction isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like Charlotte.

My ability to continue staying in Charlotte will depend on whether I can secure employment by the end of the month. Otherwise, I will most likely head back to CT and live with parents. And if I do that, I will search for jobs in other areas, such as Providence, New Haven, Stamford, etc. Hartford would be a last resort.

With that said, I don't understand what the problem is with exploring places other than CT. There is a whole world outside of CT, ya know....and as kidyankee764 said, there are many people who left CT and would never return. Fact of the matter is that CT has some serious and embarrassing problems. It's not a state that's experiencing significant growth or alluring people from other states to come move there in droves. It's just not.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's not a state that's experiencing significant growth or alluring people from other states to come move there in droves. It's just not.
In fairness to CT, we don't have much room for growth.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In fairness to CT, we don't have much room for growth.
I disagree. There's still tons of land available in many towns to build new developments and open new businesses. Litchfield county, Windham county, New London county, Middlesex county, Tolland county, etc. Tons of land available. There's also plenty of room available to build new highways, plazas, etc.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
I disagree. There's still tons of land available in many towns to build new developments and open new businesses. Litchfield county, Windham county, New London county, Middlesex county, Tolland county, etc. Tons of land available. There's also plenty of room available to build new highways, plazas, etc.
Not compared to other states. Also, that land in places like Litchfield County is protected by zoning and that isn't likely to change.

Room for highways? Where?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not compared to other states. Also, that land in places like Litchfield County is protected by zoning and that isn't likely to change.

Exactly. Then, nep would complain about the congestion and traffic.

What gives??

Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Well, they could complete I-384 all the way to Providence. And U.S. 7 north all the way to the MA border. Route 11 still needs completion to New London. Route 2 could still be completed all the way to Stonington. Those are just a few examples. Unfortunately, the I-291 beltway can never be completed around Hartford. There's just too many neighborhoods and commercial property in the way.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
And U.S. 7 north all the way to the MA border.
Never. Do you realize how many homes and private businesses are in the way?

In the developed areas of the state, there is no room. In the undeveloped areas, you'd still be looking at eminent domain - but you'd never need to expand the highways as those areas will remain less densely developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut